Lions Lair - The Little Gem of Sheffield

Of course he is damo! He's hardly going to come on and slag the place off - we'd take him to the cellar and repeatedly beat him if he did!

Personally I love Lair. Dempsey's is good, so was the old Affinity. Sanctuary was great till the recent change of management (IMO). But Lair hits the spot for my friends and me because it's not the same every weekend. With Igloo, Robofunk, Racket and new events being offered frequently it's always a great night out with excellent DJs. If you don't like the music style, then Dempsey's offers the pop and chart stuff, that's what makes Lair great because it's not 'same old same old'.

For me personally I love the fact that as a female I always feel safe in Lair (something I don't get in straight bars), have made some fantastic new friends in a small and friendly environment, and the staff always make me feel like an old friend, despite only being a Sheffield clubber for just over a yr. The atmosphere is special, and hard to find elsewhere.

And if it wasn't for the current cash issues we'd be there every weekend! Lol X

well said asmo!!! :)

Damo, I'm just being honest...Lions Lair is TOP BANANA!!!!!

If I were to come on here and slag the place off, (which I would never do) I'd get a beating in the celler, which I can't say I would enjoy cus nobody can here you down there. Come to think of it, there are two owners which means twice the amount of beats...ouch!!! ;)

Sorry but constant self promotion of what clearly isn't the greatest thing to hit Sheffield is getting a bit tiring,

How would you know, you havent been in for probably a year, you do sound incredibly bitter, but thats expected from you really.:P

I cannot comment on the after party nights as I am usually too tired or in bed or in Demps by then but find it a friendly pub, yes it does have its problems, but one of my early evening places to go.

I have heard the owners are really friendly as well ;):) (pay me later Graham)

Thanks for your input Asmo, I have no idea what your real name is, but feel free to come say hi next time you're in if i don't know you already.

Spider, consider a pint of Stella 4 ready and waiting for you! ;-)

And you're not the slightest biased are you JohnDixon?
Of course he's bias! Everyone is biased in some way. I find it quite refreshing that someone is on the forum actually praising something and not being negative

I find it quite refreshing that someone is on the forum actually praising something and not being negative

Cheers Steve!!! :)

Spider, consider a pint of Stella 4 ready and waiting for you! ;-)

:o:o anyone would think I go there regularly as you know what I drink, I shall be there early Friday before pool night starts :)

IMO, I Like the Lair, as a straight girl with LOADS of gay friends i usually get taken to Lions, or me and the Fella go if were still wanting to stay out after Plug/Embrace/Yates or wherever. I do enjoy the music cause thats the sorta music i listen too on a night out, esp if ive been too places that play chart, rnb, dance etc. But i can also see why people dont like it.

The last time i came in you were raising money for Help for Heroes, which i thought was ace.

My only piece of criticism is that the toilets esp the womens need updating, basically i lick of paint and new toliet seats, just cause i would rather hold it in than use them toilets, i know the place has the demolition order for 2012 but i think spending maybe £500 on the toilets wouldn't break the bank!

Do they do real ale?

No we don't... When i first got involved with Lions back in August 2007, there were the pumps there for black sheep and tetleys, but seeing as our target market was the student 18-25yr old bracket, we never bought any kegs of these in and concentrated on the high volume sales of carling / becks / stella / boddingtons / guinness / cider etc... which has done us proud. We very rarely get asked for real ale, I don't know many of our target audience that drinks it. Becks is our biggest seller on draught.

So the real ale pumps got taken out and reside in my garage looking pretty! I actually use the tetleys one to pump oil out of a barrel... sacrilegious I know!

Did deano1889 bit take John Dixons residency when he left? If I remember at the time the management of Lions as a whole was annoyed when he left and I heard several conversations that are not quite supporting the line of 'its business' etc ! More like Judas!

As for the running of the Sheffield gay scene, fuel tried to come and make a quick buck and failed, Affinity was poorly managed, Sanctuary poorly managed, Lions Lair has turned straight , the only real businessmen are Xes and Dempseys they have kept their businesses going the longest and it is their main income source.

Edited by gayinsider