Freeview problems from the Crosspool transmitter

My mum is in Crosspool, and she has turn her telly on and off about five times every time she wants to watch it, cos there is no picture. Sound is fine.

We use an indoor aerial here because we are line of site to crosspool repeater.

For years we have had no bother but recently the signal got lower so I put an aerial combiner in the lead and connected two aerials at once.

It works fine now.

I had to make a combiner cos the shops can't get there heads round running 1 tv off 2 aerials,all they can understand is an aerial splitter to run 2 tvs off 1 aerial.

I would do a visual on the aerial first,

See if it’s fallen or pointing the same way as your neighbors (if they are on the same transmitter).

If you have a cable coming in from outside, check the plug end to see if water has got into the cable. Try holding about 10 inches down the cable in one hand and flicking the plug end near you palm. If water comes out id avoid putting it back in. if it’s dry, try undoing the end and see if the inside of the plug has gone blue/green.

Some aerials have a black cap on the top where the cable is terminated, if this is damaged and full of water it may have iced over and could be causing the aerial to short out. Or you may have an amplifier up on the pole that’s failing due to the cold damp weather.

No reported problems on tranmitters today in south yorks.

Or the cable may be old, cracked and the melting snow either got into it or may have pulled it apart.

Or maybe a build up of ice on the aerial.

If it doesn’t rectify its self in the next few days, ask your neighbour to see if theirs is ok.

Then its time to call us out (aerial fitters in general)

Ill not go up on any roofs if it’s still icy though, even though I have the full health and safety kit on the van. It’s the carrying of the ladders that’s the dangerous bit.

Edited by ericsean
typo

I live in Lodge Moor - we've had no Freeview yesterday and none today. We can't all be suffering from simultaneous duff aerials ? Regular ol' Analog is working fine which I guess would rule out a serious aerial problem.

We had the same problem over Christmas .... gave Lamberts Arials a ring and he did a fantastic job sorting it for not a lot of money!!!!

Turned out we had 2 arials which was splitting the signal to the box. He was recommended by ATV (?) in Hillsborough, just down from Maplins.

I live in the S25 area and my freeview reception has also been very poor recently, to the point where I have had to turn back to analog to watch programs.

Does anyone know if the digital signal stength will be increased when the swop over happens?

Edited by vulpine

As I understand it, the signal is about 40% lower now than when analouge is phased out.

That's because of cross channel interference, but I know the signal strength has been down for 2 days now because I have checked it with 2 identical aerials in new condition,including dry cable.

We have problems too since we came back from our holidays after Christmas.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Ritus said:

anybody  else completely lost signal or do i have to go on the roof

Don't go on the roof looks like there is a problem.