Fulwood riding school

what happened to the fulwood school late 50`s to late 60`s

Do you meen the Mill View Riding School? The paddock is still there but I think it stopped 'trading' back in the late 70s/80s. The lady who used to own it now works part time in Fulwood Hardware I think.

Yes, Hazel was the owner. Did you ride there?

I did, during the 70s on a Sunday morning. One week we would be in the paddock, the next on a walk around the valley. Still got the old hat in a dressing up box for the kids, but I didn't carry on with it.

This may be from January but I had to post just cause it's so funny to see people talking about my nan n the riding school on a public forum. lol.

She sold up in around '96/'97, mainly because she was ready to retire and neither of her sons (my dad n uncle) were in any way horsey so they didn't want to carry it on.

Real shame cause I'd have loved to have taken over the family business, but hey ho.

And yes she does now work part-time in fulwood hardware. She decided retirement didn't suit her, but was still very happy to have manual labour and 6am starts on xmas day behind her! :D

That was never a paddock, it was the schooling area. The paddocks on the back are both still there.

I used to ride and work there in the late 60's early 70's, the couple who had millview were called Michael & Hazel Greenwood.

I used to go there and have even got photo,s of me riding the little shetland pony they called pixie, then there was one called brownie, who was a real nipper. i once entered a gymkhana there and got a rosette.

I went there every Saturday afternoon circa 1970. 10 bob for an hour. Aim was to then go riding in the Sierra Nevada. 40 years later I've still to do it. Remember they had the oldest horse in the UK there-or so they said!!

This may be from January but I had to post just cause it's so funny to see people talking about my nan n the riding school on a public forum. lol.

She sold up in around '96/'97, mainly because she was ready to retire and neither of her sons (my dad n uncle) were in any way horsey so they didn't want to carry it on.

Real shame cause I'd have loved to have taken over the family business, but hey ho.

And yes she does now work part-time in fulwood hardware. She decided retirement didn't suit her, but was still very happy to have manual labour and 6am starts on xmas day behind her! :D

Hi I learned to ride there when I was 10 years old. There used to be a fair on Granville Road and we would ride all the ponies down there from Fulwood. Pixie was a skewbald shetland and Frisky was a dark brown almost black dartmoor pony I think....There was Peggy, welsh pony, white always flirting with bay Lucky; there was Pru dark brown almost black, August dark bay, Wizard, grey; your nan's cob Pal. Later there was a chestnut called Star, I used to take out on my own when I was around 17 yrs old....memories.......How are your grandparents? I would love to meet up with Hazel again.

---------- Post added 06-04-2015 at 16:06 ----------

I used to go there and have even got photo,s of me riding the little shetland pony they called pixie, then there was one called brownie, who was a real nipper. i once entered a gymkhana there and got a rosette.

Hi there....the dark brown pony bombshell was Frisky. Then there was Peggy, Welsh Mountain white pony....she was a biter and very flighty....lol...

---------- Post added 06-04-2015 at 16:17 ----------

I went there every Saturday afternoon circa 1970. 10 bob for an hour. Aim was to then go riding in the Sierra Nevada. 40 years later I've still to do it. Remember they had the oldest horse in the UK there-or so they said!!

Hi, would that have been dear old August? She was lovely; I think she was about 18 yrs old when I rode her back 1958 (?) I used to ride her on day rides. I remember a few people. Diane Fletcher, who used to ride Peggy a lot. Peggy bit her once in the nether region whilst on a day ride! OUch! There was Hazel Chadwick and her sister Susan; Anne Hathaway, used to ride a big horse called Rory....not one of Millview's I think; another Anne who used to ride Wizard a lot....can't remember her last name but she had a brown riding hat. Great to find this topic. Millview is now Newmay House Farm, Foxhall Lane, Mayfield Valley, Sheffield, S10. 6 bedroom barn conversion for sale

Offers in Region of £1,500,000.00.......how things change, but we all have our memories of Millview ......sigh......them wer days.......

Just needed to clear up while Nutbrown is correct that the riding school was sold in 1996, I must say that he is not the son/grandson of the Greenwood family. I am the ex wife of the only surviving son and we only had 1 biological daughter together in 1997. The riding school is now a residential property.