Opera della Luna's DIE FLEDERMAUS, Lyceum Thu 28 - Sat 30 Jan: win tickets!

Opera della Luna presents

Die Fledermaus

Thu 28 - Sat 30 January 2010

Lyceum Theatre, Sheffield

The country’s best chamber opera company, Opera della Luna, presents Johann Strauss’s masterpiece Die Fledermaus in a glittering new production.

One of the world’s best-loved operettas, Die Fledermaus is transformed under the inventive and comic touch of a company renowned for its highly entertaining performing style.

With elements of trickery and disguise, farce, amorous tête-a-têtes and a rousing waltz finale, this production combines an intriguing story line with sparkling song, rousing music and deft comic touches.

"A fresh spin on this Viennese classic"

The Times - Opera Critic's Choice

Tickets: £17.00 - £24.00 (discounts available)

Box Office: 0114 249 6000

Book online: http://www.sheffieldtheatres.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=whatson.production&ProductionID=863

COMPETITION

The title Die Fledermaus or The Bat, refers to a practical joke played on one of the characters long before the opera begins, in which a drunken partygoer is left to walk home through the city the morning after a costume party, still dressed in a full-length bat costume.

For your chance to win a pair tickets to this fabulous new version of this madcap comic opera, just reply to the thread to tell us your funniest costume-related story. What's the most memorable costume you've ever worn? Have you or your friends ever got into an embarassing situation in an hilarious outfit? Tell us about it by replying to the thread and you could win a pair of tickets to see the show!

The competition deadline is 10.00am on Monday 25 January. Winners will be selected at random from all users that reply to the thread. Good luck!

Edited by Lyceum

I remember a night out whilst at uni. We had all decided to go out dressed as super heroes. However where we had planned on going wasn't open. Not to waist a night out we went for a meal in full gear. Needless to say we got funny looks from everyone else but it was fun.

My bestest outfit was a ghost (dirty sheet with two very bad holes cut in it :gag:).

I spent Halloween e-mailing people telling them how my outfit was REALLY REALLY SEXY and would blow them away. I actually wanted to hire a gorilla costume but it's bloody expensive looking like a monkey.

I walked through a Muslim area to get to the party and people kept asking me if I was wearing a niqab :suspect:

At the party, I got chatted up and cuddled a lot more than usual. It really does wonders for a girls confidence when my best outfit is one that involves covering my face up.

My mum has never been the tallest of people and lots of people call her Umpa-Lumpa (out of affection). On ebay I managed to track down full size Umpa-Lumpa suits so we bought one for her. She wore it for Christmas day and we got lots and lots of photos. It was unbelievably funny, but also quite shocking how much it suited her! Now I'm just making sure that I never get a nickname for myslef that can be made into an embarrassing costume!

A friend of mione had a birthday party a couple of years ago and the theme was medievil and everyone was to dress in an appropriate costume. My partner and I decided that it would be funny if we went as a two person pantomime horse. So we went to a shop to hire a costume, however, when we tried it on we soon realised that we had actually become stuck in the costume. It took a real struggle to get us out, the fastener that joined the two parts together had bust! Needless to say we didn't bother to hire the costume out of worry that we wouldn't be able to ever get out of it without the assistance of a tailor! In the end we had Robin Hood and a knight which waqsn't quite as out there as our original costume had intended to be, but was still lots of fun.

When I was a student I got a job in a factory for christmas. I had worked a few shifts wearing my horrible over coat and no one had really taken much notice of me or spoken to me so I just got on with doing what I was told. One evening as I was leaving the manager said "are you coming to 'the ball' its our christmas event we all put our best on, its great". As a skint student I got my mum to take me out and buy me a ball gown and all the trimmings. I found out that we had to turn up at work and they had arranged transport so we could all drink, my manager said we would arrive in style.

The day arrived I spent hours getting ready nails, hair, waxed and everything. I put on my ball gown and felt a million dollers. I arrived in the car park at work expecting to see limo's but all there was an old coach, but I thought never mind. As I open the office door everyone turned to look at me! I nearly died, they all had jeans and leggings on. The room fell silent. There I stood in a full length ball gown with fur shrug and gloves. My manager later explained when she said THE BALL, she was meaning the the ball in Ecclesfield. I never returned to work!

Thanks for the brilliant replies everyone, some really funny stories.. :hihi:

Don't forget our competition closes on Monday at 10.00am, so drop us a line before then for your chance to win tickets.

Our competition has now closed - and our winner, Electric Blue has been notified. Congratulations!

Roll on Thursday! :love:

Opens tonight!