Live Traffic Cameras

My guess would be whatever hardware they used for taking stills from the cameras is so old it can't be used on modern hardware and they haven't been able to find a viable replacement.

This story is the front page headline of today's Star, but they don't have any new information to add to what we already know.

This story is the front page headline of today's Star, but they don't have any new information to add to what we already know.

Not bad at all from The Star’s contents editor.

I only e mailed them Friday morning.

I hope that they can now come up with a comment,and even better ,action from Sheffield Council.

Thanks to The Star.

I think planner1 needs to look up the definition of Civil Servant.

If we don't pay for our services that we allow civil servants to oversee, who does? Do you think they print their own money.

it could be a case for getting rid of some street furniture

I think planner1 needs to look up the definition of Civil Servant.

If we don't pay for our services that we allow civil servants to oversee, who does? Do you think they print their own money.

Try reading what I wrote.

The poster I was responding to appeared to think that paying their taxes gave them some sort of entitlement to a particular service. It does not. There is no obligation on highway authorities to provide public access to traffic camera images.

Care to point what statute or regulation entitles you to expect to be able to view traffic camera images?

Paying your taxes generally allows you to escape being prosecuted for failing to pay them, but that's about it.

We've all come across situations like this, where something that looks pretty simple and quick, but in fact isn't due to an unfortunate set of circumstances.

This really is nothing to do with "politics" but I'd suggest that if you feel aggrieved about it, take it up with the Council's Cabinet Member for Transport and Infrastructure, Councillor Jack Scott. You might also try your three Ward Councillors. There's also the Council's formal complaints process you can access via their website.

If you were feeling really public spirited and felt the traffic cams are vitally important, you could of course give Capita Sheffield and call and offer them your advice and expertise at no cost to the taxpayer....

Did you really just say Paying your taxes generally allows you to escape being prosecuted for failing to pay them, but that's about it.

This sums up, for me, the attitude that I've seen so often in the public sector that makes so many people angry. I've met teachers who think that schools are actually there to employ teachers, not to teach children. And I've seen similar things in the NHS. While most in these professions are decent people, every now and again we get people like you with your 'how dare you expect ANYTHING from us' attitude.

Those camera images are there for the safety and convenience of the public. That's what we pay for. That's what we EXPECT. That's what every other city provides.

Two years to resolve, what in technology terms is a simple portal IS PATHETIC.

Especially when we've been told so many time that it is due to be resolved 'soon'. And especially when the council admit themselves that it is of such value to the public.

And your final attempt to actually divert criticism away from the council for not actually providing services that we pay for just sums up your two finger salute to Joe Public.

Did you really just say Paying your taxes generally allows you to escape being prosecuted for failing to pay them, but that's about it.

This sums up, for me, the attitude that I've seen so often in the public sector that makes so many people angry. I've met teachers who think that schools are actually there to employ teachers, not to teach children. And I've seen similar things in the NHS. While most in these professions are decent people, every now and again we get people like you with your 'how dare you expect ANYTHING from us' attitude.

Those camera images are there for the safety and convenience of the public. That's what we pay for. That's what we EXPECT. That's what every other city provides.

Two years to resolve, what in technology terms is a simple portal IS PATHETIC.

Especially when we've been told so many time that it is due to be resolved 'soon'. And especially when the council admit themselves that it is of such value to the public.

And your final attempt to actually divert criticism away from the council for not actually providing services that we pay for just sums up your two finger salute to Joe Public.

Yes I did say that and it's true.

The problem I have with you is your attitude of entitlement. You clearly think that because you pay your taxes, you are entitled to expect services to be provided to the standard you demand.

There is no factual basis for your view of entitlement. There are relatively few services that have to be provided by local government.

Allowing public access to traffic cam images is certainly not a statutory service provision, so you have no basis for expecting that it will be provided.

The cameras are actually there to allow the Council to better manage traffic. The Traffic Control operators use them all the time. It is a nice to do thing that they provide images that the public can access. It is certainly not a must do.

Funding to Councils has been cut massively ( mainstream transport capital funding is down to around half what it was a few years ago) and Councils across the land are having to look at stopping carrying out the nice to do services that they don't have an obligation to provide. The way things are going you are going to be constantly disappointed as Councils can't afford to keep delivering the same level of service they do now, never mind better or more services.

Getting the images back up appears not to be as simple as you make out. It isn't just a simple technical issue. I understand that the technical solution Capita came up with hasn't worked out so they are looking for another. The way in which the Council's IT contract works also has a bearing on the length of time its taking. That is why the Traffic Control staff can't give you a timescale within which it will be fixed.

If you are dissatisfied, you can raise it with the Cabinet Member (Councillor Jack Scott) or your Ward Councillors. You can also put in a formal complaint, which can be done via the Council website: https://service.sheffield.gov.uk/selfservice/L1_Portal.html?formname=SSComplaints Complaints are investigated by a manager and if still dissatisfied with the outcome you can ask for the decision to be reviewed by a more senior manager.

Are you still working at a Local Authority, Planner1?

No hidden agenda. Just curious.

I value your knowledge, use of contacts etc.

You have alluded to the IT Contract. I also have had experience of Capita (and other) support contracts and often find them lacking.

Is it possibly correct that the answer to this problem involves the possibility that the people involved may not have the necessary experience?

I also have had experience of Capita (and other) support contracts and often find them lacking.

Is it possibly correct that the answer to this problem involves the possibility that the people involved may not have the necessary experience?

Me too. The paperwork you have to go through to get a simple change request actioned is ridiculous and very slow while it goes for risk and impact assessments from department to department.

I've known a request for a port opening on a firewall take eight weeks.