Live Traffic Cameras

Sometimes I wonder how we survived in the late 60's and 70's on the roads, without all of todays "help". A different era I suppose.

Angel1.

We survived travelling on buses,driving on cross ply tyres,no power steering etc,etc,but any improvements are welcome.

Sometimes I wonder how we survived in the late 60's and 70's on the roads, without all of todays "help". A different era I suppose.

Angel1.

There were less than 12 million cars on the road in 1970. There are now well over 30 million.

Another attempt to force car drivers off the road perhaps?

That wouldn't make sense as its a valuable resource to people using public transport too in order to judge the likelihood of a bus arriving on time or being cancelled.

I used to use it to decide if its worth me walking to town end on a day like today, if its snowed in I knew the chances are Sainsburys would have less stock and not worth going.

Edited by AlexAtkin

My understanding of this is that it is not about funds, it's about finding a way of doing it within the IT systems they've got in place. It appears to have been unexpectedly difficult.

It is certainly not the responsibility of the officers who were named (now removed) to arrange funding.

This has been on going for nearly two years.

I refer to the quote I received last September:

"Just thought I'd give you an update on the traffic cameras, we're currently running about 2 weeks behind in our project pipeline. We're aiming to start integration with the website around the 1st week in October. We are starting on the design phase next week so you should have some page designs to sign off shortly."

Working in IT, I understand that things can be complex.

But not so complex that it takes years to replace a server and build a web portal for something as simple a streaming content from a different feed. I know. I once developed something myself. In a matter of days.

Everything stated by the council so far has been non committal and evasive.

As usual.

Every target has been missed.

As usual.

Exactly. The cameras are working perfectly, they occasionally post images from them on Twitter, it should be really straightforward to restore the live feed. Unless there is some other reason...

I know. I once developed something myself. In a matter of days.

I bet you weren't dealing with an urban traffic control system or had to do it via a large public authority's IT system, the operation of which which is outsourced to Capita.....

Doing it yourself is far different to having to do it through a third party whose contractual arrangement means that your work isn't a priority.

The people you have been dealing with it at Traffic Control would like it all up and running yesterday just like you would. If it could have been done quick, it would have been. It's proved far more problematic than anyone imagined, but they are working on it and looking for a solution.

Where there’s a will there should be a way ,certainly within the time scale of this outage.

Give Capita a kick.

I bet you weren't dealing with an urban traffic control system or had to do it via a large public authority's IT system, the operation of which which is outsourced to Capita.....

Doing it yourself is far different to having to do it through a third party whose contractual arrangement means that your work isn't a priority.

The people you have been dealing with it at Traffic Control would like it all up and running yesterday just like you would. If it could have been done quick, it would have been. It's proved far more problematic than anyone imagined, but they are working on it and looking for a solution.

Planner1, with all due respect, I have owned and run my own software company from the centre of Sheffield for over 20 years, employing many developers, working in many sectors, including local and central government.

I am very hands on with all the projects my company runs, so I understand the processes and technologies.

While I accept that some things that are done in local and central government are unacceptably over complicated and unduly drawn out for no reason than to justify some very inept peoples jobs, I don't accept the complications that feasibly could be associated with this type of work taking two years to resolve.

Certainly not form a technology perspective.

Only if there are politics at play.

And we, the tax payer, don't pay the council, the tax payers servants, to play politics with our money, our convenience, or our safety.

Streets Ahead (@sccstreetsahead) have been publishing regular stills from the traffic cams on Twitter these last few days. So the cameras are working, they're just not working for us.

Streets Ahead (@sccstreetsahead) have been publishing regular stills from the traffic cams on Twitter these last few days. So the cameras are working, they're just not working for us.

Almost sounds like politicians.

Planner1, with all due respect, I have owned and run my own software company from the centre of Sheffield for over 20 years, employing many developers, working in many sectors, including local and central government.

I am very hands on with all the projects my company runs, so I understand the processes and technologies.

While I accept that some things that are done in local and central government are unacceptably over complicated and unduly drawn out for no reason than to justify some very inept peoples jobs, I don't accept the complications that feasibly could be associated with this type of work taking two years to resolve.

Certainly not form a technology perspective.

Only if there are politics at play.

And we, the tax payer, don't pay the council, the tax payers servants, to play politics with our money, our convenience, or our safety.

Care to point what statute or regulation entitles you to expect to be able to view traffic camera images?

Paying your taxes generally allows you to escape being prosecuted for failing to pay them, but that's about it.

We've all come across situations like this, where something that looks pretty simple and quick, but in fact isn't due to an unfortunate set of circumstances.

This really is nothing to do with "politics" but I'd suggest that if you feel aggrieved about it, take it up with the Council's Cabinet Member for Transport and Infrastructure, Councillor Jack Scott. You might also try your three Ward Councillors. There's also the Council's formal complaints process you can access via their website.

If you were feeling really public spirited and felt the traffic cams are vitally important, you could of course give Capita Sheffield and call and offer them your advice and expertise at no cost to the taxpayer....

The cameras are there.

We have had this service before,which if not vital,is certainly very useful.

I certainly found it useful when stranded at work when the Don burst it’s banks.

Papier-mâché has pursued the query already through the appropriate channels and apparently has been given a string of inaccurate forecasts.

Centrica,and whoever is responsible for overseeing their services is not looking very capable.