Live Traffic Cameras

Yes I did say that and it's true.

The problem I have with you is your attitude of entitlement. You clearly think that because you pay your taxes, you are entitled to expect services to be provided to the standard you demand.

There is no factual basis for your view of entitlement. There are relatively few services that have to be provided by local government.

Allowing public access to traffic cam images is certainly not a statutory service provision, so you have no basis for expecting that it will be provided.

The cameras are actually there to allow the Council to better manage traffic. The Traffic Control operators use them all the time. It is a nice to do thing that they provide images that the public can access. It is certainly not a must do.

Funding to Councils has been cut massively ( mainstream transport capital funding is down to around half what it was a few years ago) and Councils across the land are having to look at stopping carrying out the nice to do services that they don't have an obligation to provide. The way things are going you are going to be constantly disappointed as Councils can't afford to keep delivering the same level of service they do now, never mind better or more services.

Getting the images back up appears not to be as simple as you make out. It isn't just a simple technical issue. I understand that the technical solution Capita came up with hasn't worked out so they are looking for another. The way in which the Council's IT contract works also has a bearing on the length of time its taking. That is why the Traffic Control staff can't give you a timescale within which it will be fixed.

If you are dissatisfied, you can raise it with the Cabinet Member (Councillor Jack Scott) or your Ward Councillors. You can also put in a formal complaint, which can be done via the Council website: https://service.sheffield.gov.uk/selfservice/L1_Portal.html?formname=SSComplaints Complaints are investigated by a manager and if still dissatisfied with the outcome you can ask for the decision to be reviewed by a more senior manager.

You’re damn right I have an attitude of entitlement.

I pay an awful lot of personal tax, council tax and business rates.

And I EXPECT to see something in return for that. And not just things for the benefit of other people.

And not just things that councillors deem to be right for me.

I expect to them to provide what the public actually wants.

And this is one of those things.

As provided in so many other cities in the UK.

And as it has worked before, and it has been paid for before (by us) so we are entitled to it.

Local government may not be legally obliged to provide very much.

But the basis and formation of local government is to manage and provide services to the people who pay for them. Services that the people want.

And this is one of those things.

However what we tend to find with local government, as demonstrated by your attitude, is that the tax payer is seen as a hindrance. An annoyance. “How dare they actual think they’re entitled to ANYTHING from us, just because they actually work and pay for it??????”

The failure to provide this once operational service that has been lost for almost two years due to a single point of failure is pathetic. No amount of excuses about the way contracts work justifies that amount of time.

It’s poor management and just another in a long list of two finger salutes to the tax payer.

Why are the Traffic cameras in Sheffield NOT working still ,Get your finger out Sheffield City Council and get these cameras working ,we all pay our council tax for a service we are not getting

Guest busdriver1

I thought they were there for the use of the council and those that control the traffic systems not the public. Wasn't public access to them a favour?

I wonder if Capita are making any progress in restoring this service.

It might not be a mandatory service,or something that us public are entitled to,but it would certainly be very useful when we have these extreme weather conditions.

Does anyone know if the project is dead and buried or are we any nearer to restore a service that worked 10 years ago.

I wonder if Capita are making any progress in restoring this service.

It might not be a mandatory service,or something that us public are entitled to,but it would certainly be very useful when we have these extreme weather conditions.

Does anyone know if the project is dead and buried or are we any nearer to restore a service that worked 10 years ago.

Capita's solution isn't affordable so the Council are looking at other options I believe.

They'd still like to provide the images.

When you look at the fact there's already one Council saying it can only afford to put on statutory services, the loss of discretionary services is going to become more frequent in the future.

Anything involving Capita is rarely considered affordable.

Good to see Jack Scott has slimed his way back to the top.

Wasn't he in charge of the bins a while back but cocked it up and had to resign??

Capita's solution isn't affordable so the Council are looking at other options I believe.

They'd still like to provide the images.

When you look at the fact there's already one Council saying it can only afford to put on statutory services, the loss of discretionary services is going to become more frequent in the future.

Thanks for the update and I hope they can arrive at a solution.

I appreciate that new investment is a problem ,but I hate to see us lose any useful amenities through lack of maintenance.