Live Traffic Cameras

It looks like the cameras have been taken off line for some reason. These were a fantastic help for planning journeys especially in winter weather when they could make or break a trip.

Motorways - http://www.sy-transport.co.uk/traffi...y_jam_cams.htm

Sheffield - http://www.sy-transport.co.uk/traffi...d_jam_cams.htm

On a project of that size it would be normal to put in traffic cameras where they would be useful.

Carbrook is the control room for the South Yorkshire Intelligent Transport System, so they will have links to the traffic cameras in all the other South Yorkshire Authorities eventually. The aim is to have all the county-wide real time travel information accessible via one one website.

Planner1, you seem to be the man in the know, it seems like a very backward step so what's the reason and will we see them come back?

From another thread:

They aren't "out of order", the traffic control room at the Council and the Police use them all the time.

All that has happened is that they are no longer able to share the images with the public as the server the images were housed on is now defunct and hasn't been replaced.

From another thread:

That response doesn't make much sense though. The images are only useful if they are live or 'nearly live' feeds. The servers would have to be there to relay the images to the control rooms either way. All that's happened is that the council no longer choose to allow access to those images, or that server, via a front end web feed. If it chose to do so, the council could allow access to the the server images and a third party might then take on the front end access maintenance.

As mentioned on other threads what has happened to this service.

Bring it back please.

The motorway cams are still available

As mentioned on other threads what has happened to this service.

Bring it back please.

The motorway cams are still available

100% agree, the cameras are invaluable in weather like this.

Perhaps there should be a campaign for a replacement option, plenty of cameras around the place .....

The traffic camera site shows the last images as 4 April.

This was 4 April 2016.

It's been almost 2 years now.

I first logged an issue with this with the council in September 2016.

I received a reply from a Ms ******** on 13 October 2016 to say the system was 'in the process of being replaced'.

I asked what timescales existed on the project but my enquiry was ignored.

I sent a further enquiry on 5 January 2017.

I received a response on 23 March from a Mr *****. He said 'Unfortunately I am not able to give you a date as to when the CCTV images will go live. All I can say is that the camera server itself is still in the process of being upgraded, and until this upgrade is completed, we don't have the ability to share these images with the public.'.

I enquired again on 31 August 2017, and was told, by Mr ***** (on 26 September 2017) that his colleague had said "" Just thought I'd give you an update on the traffic cameras, we're currently running about 2 weeks behind in our project pipeline. We're aiming to start integration with the website around the 1st week in October. We are starting on the design phase next week so you should have some page designs to sign off shortly."

He also added "My understanding is that this will be resolved prior to Christmas, in time for potentially hazardous conditions where members of the public make use of the CCTV images".

After the bad weather around Christmas, I sent Mr ***** a request for further information (on 3 January) and received this reply:

Good morning Mr XXXXXX

I have tried to chase up an answer to your query regarding the publishing of the CCTV images. Unfortunately, I still cannot give you an exact date as to when the images will go live again.

We acknowledge that this service has always been an important one for commuters, further evidenced by the levels of correspondence we have received from many people since the images have not been provided.

During this period since the images have not been live, continual dialogue and work has taken place behind the scenes to facilitate provision of the CCTV images, and I am confident we are not a million miles away from a solution in that respect.

I do appreciate your frustration at this not being resolved. The access to these images are of great benefit to many people, especially on mornings like this one where the inclement weather takes hold, and access to these web images are vital for commuters to be able to make decisions as to whether to travel to work, or work from home for example.

I know this answer is not good enough, it states the obvious and it does not answer your question regarding this matter, but for the time being I don't have a definitive answer to provide.

All I can confirm is that when I am aware of any progress on this, I will be sure to inform you of this, and especially when this has been resolved.

Apologies again, and if you have any further comments or questions, please contact me and I will try and assist as best as I can.

Thanks

So, to summarise:

1. It's been down nearly 2 years

2. It's simply a server replacement

3. It's the only on line traffic information we have in Sheffield

4. There's been a catalogue of failings in simply replacing the server in question

5. It's obviously a very low priority for Sheffield council

6. It's an embarrassment to the City and to the council

7. The council know it is important at times of bad weather - they acknowledge this, yet refuse to prioritise public safety.

Another attempt to force car drivers off the road perhaps?

Edited by nikki-red

The contract to provide the public online feed wasn't renewed due to public funding cuts, Conservative government's austerity policy

Have to agree with your summary, very unprofessional of our council.

5. It's obviously a very low priority for Sheffield council

And so it should be when local councils dont have a pot to pee in and have huge financial holes to fill.

And so it should be when local councils dont have a pot to pee in and have huge financial holes to fill.

The council have a very large pot each year. A lot of it funded by road users. And some funded by central government that comes from road tax.

All other major cities in the uk have public traffic cameras.

Once again we're a million miles behind.