Live Traffic Cameras

What with the cold snap someone has been real helpfull to the authorities and defrosted our speed camera with a burning tyre. damaged the paint a bit but defo thawd it out.

One area, besides Woodseats as mentioned above, that I've always found odd that hasn't had one in place is Hunters Bar and Leppings Lane roundabouts.

Also find it odd how Sheffield City Council would pay for 2 CCTV cameras to be built in Rotherham (Meadowhall roundabout & Aston roundabout).

There are no signals to control at Leppings Lane Roundabout, so nothing they could do if they could see that far. Nothing much they can do with the signals at Hunters Bar either.

SCC control the signals on the roundabouts at J34 and they are in fact in Sheffield I believe. The one at J31 belongs to the Highways Agency, SCC jus tget access to it.

There are no signals to control at Leppings Lane Roundabout, so nothing they could do if they could see that far. Nothing much they can do with the signals at Hunters Bar either.

SCC control the signals on the roundabouts at J34 and they are in fact in Sheffield I believe. The one at J31 belongs to the Highways Agency, SCC jus tget access to it.

Never thought of it like that, but as you say, they are only of real use, if the people watching the cameras at the UTC Centre at Carbrook can actually do something to help the traffic, such as manually taking control of the traffic lights.

Would Leppings Lane gain one however as part of the Smart Routes project, when this roundabout would be replaced by a traffic light controlled crossroads, such as the one at Whiston for instance?

Was not aware of Meadowhall Roundabout been in Sheffield, however, considering Tinsley and Blackburn are in Sheffield on that side of the M1, then this will most likely be the case. Thanks for clearing up the situation for Aston too.

Am I right in thinking that all the Rotherham traffic cameras are now also controlled from the Sheffield UTC at Carbrook? Those such as on the Sheffield Parkway and at the Whiston Crossroads for instance, along with the new VMS signs?

My GPS has a 'Trafficmaster' (and other services in other countries) receiver. It updates continuously and in the event that the planned route goes down a road which the cameras suggest has a problem, it re-routes me around the hold-up.

Well, that's the theory, anyway.;)

My GPS has a 'Trafficmaster' (and other services in other countries) receiver. It updates continuously and in the event that the planned route goes down a road which the cameras suggest has a problem, it re-routes me around the hold-up.

Well, that's the theory, anyway.;)

Are you talking about the ANPR cameras pal?

No. Trafficmaster cameras are the blue ones (usually have a coupple of small antennas attached). I understand that there are people sitting in rooms somewhere who supposedly monitor the traffic flow (and maybe do something about it) but the feeds from the cameras also go to a computer and are transmitted as a continuous signal in the local area.

The receiver plugs into the GPS and the GPS 'considers' the input and modifies the route accordingly.

You can find out more about them here.

I bought the receiver online (from a firm in Sheffield - Pentagon GPS) the receiver I use is a Garmin GTM12

It came with a lifetime subscription to Trafficmaster and I bought an 'add-on' lifetime subscription for Germany.

Edited by Rupert_Baehr
add description of receiver and URL

No. Trafficmaster cameras are the blue ones (usually have a coupple of small antennas attached). I understand that there are people sitting in rooms somewhere who supposedly monitor the traffic flow (and maybe do something about it) but the feeds from the cameras also go to a computer and are transmitted as a continuous signal in the local area.

Trafficmaster is a commercial product, it is not linked in any way with the Council's UTC equipment or their control room.

That's a pity. - Not that Trafficmaster is a commercial project, but that there isn't some sort of link between the two.

Ideally there should be one at Homebase (Chesterfield Road) and another at Banner Cross (Ecclesall Road/Psalter Lane/ Ecclesall Road South).
The southbound jams are not caused by the Homebase junction which is triggered when vehicles exit the car park only. The problem there is the bus lanes which amputates one lane from the road and the pedestrian crossing lights in Woodseats. Also the junction with Scarsdale Road lacks the possibility to filter left early enough and the Council's blocked the couple of streets on the left probably because they disagree with initiative.

That's a pity. - Not that Trafficmaster is a commercial project, but that there isn't some sort of link between the two.

Well, as trafficmaster is a commercial product, they aren't going to give their data away are they?

The Council have their own systems for journey time monitoring, incident / queue detection etc so they don't need trafficmaster data.

Would Leppings Lane gain one however as part of the Smart Routes project, when this roundabout would be replaced by a traffic light controlled crossroads, such as the one at Whiston for instance?

Was not aware of Meadowhall Roundabout been in Sheffield, however, considering Tinsley and Blackburn are in Sheffield on that side of the M1, then this will most likely be the case. Thanks for clearing up the situation for Aston too.

Am I right in thinking that all the Rotherham traffic cameras are now also controlled from the Sheffield UTC at Carbrook? Those such as on the Sheffield Parkway and at the Whiston Crossroads for instance, along with the new VMS signs?

On a project of that size it would be normal to put in traffic cameras where they would be useful.

Carbrook is the control room for the South Yorkshire Intelligent Transport System, so they will have links to the traffic cameras in all the other South Yorkshire Authorities eventually. The aim is to have all the county-wide real time travel information accessible via one one website.

On a project of that size it would be normal to put in traffic cameras where they would be useful.

Carbrook is the control room for the South Yorkshire Intelligent Transport System, so they will have links to the traffic cameras in all the other South Yorkshire Authorities eventually. The aim is to have all the county-wide real time travel information accessible via one one website.

Cheers for that Planner1 and yeah I thought it would have been somehow.