Live Traffic Cameras

All very useful and have been pointed out many times before (nothing wrong with a reminder) ...... but they are not what I would call "live".

They exhibit a still image that is renewed every minute .... until there is an "incident", of course, when the relevant camera is taken off from public viewing.

Why do you think you need live video feed? You can see whether there is a problem from the still image, which is updated every minute.

I'm no expert in this stuff, but wouldn't streaming live video from thirty odd cameras take up a rather large amount of bandwidth? I don't know anywhere else which streams live video, do you?

There's another site called IIRC http://www.thepctailor.com

(Sorry, I'm not at home at the moment so do not have the link, and cannot get to it from this machine, but the last link on its home page takes you to the sheffield cameras, but in a much bigger screen size)

Edit - Sorry, the link is not what I intended, I will try again later when I get home - unless someone else on here beats me to it, as I know its been posted on the Sheffield Forum before.

Edited by Eater Sundae

Why do you think you need live video feed? You can see whether there is a problem from the still image, which is updated every minute.

I'm no expert in this stuff, but wouldn't streaming live video from thirty odd cameras take up a rather large amount of bandwidth? I don't know anywhere else which streams live video, do you?

Who rattled your cage?

I don't need it and never said that I did.

Simply pointed out that it is not 'live' and don't expect it to be.

I do know webcams that do stream live video, as it happens, but don't expect my council to provide live traffic feeds.

Now go and bother someone else.

I believe I read that they are putting a camera in as part of the proposed Meadowhead Roundabout improvement scheme.

Well that's very pleasing to read. Cheers Planner1. By the way, are the cameras on the Northern IRR around Bridgehouses Gyratory new Traffic CCTV cameras, that haven't been hooked up on the net yet?

There's another site called IIRC http://www.thepctailor.com

(Sorry, I'm not at home at the moment so do not have the link, and cannot get to it from this machine, but the last link on its home page takes you to the sheffield cameras, but in a much bigger screen size)

Edit - Sorry, the link is not what I intended, I will try again later when I get home - unless someone else on here beats me to it, as I know its been posted on the Sheffield Forum before.

Sorry, all,

This is the link I'd intended to post

http://www.thepcoffice.com/index.php?Itemid=29&id=24&option=com_content&task=view

I'd remembered the name incorrectly.

It's the same info as the Sheffield cameras, but opens into a larger screen.

I have been viewing these cameras for a few years now, I agree that it would be great to have one at woodseats because the main road can be a terrible bottleneck and there are no cameras in the south of the city at all.

Ideally there should be one at Homebase ( chesterfield road ) and another at banner cross ( Ecclesall road / psalter lane / Ecclesall road south ).

I have been viewing these cameras for a few years now, I agree that it would be great to have one at woodseats because the main road can be a terrible bottleneck and there are no cameras in the south of the city at all.

Ideally there should be one at Homebase ( chesterfield road ) and another at banner cross ( Ecclesall road / psalter lane / Ecclesall road south ).

The cameras are put at strategic locations so that when there is a problem, the Traffic Control team can see what's happening and change signal timings to help things along. They like to be able to see the actual signals they are "tweaking", that's the idea of having a camera, it's not just so members of the public can keep an eye on the jams, that's an incidental benefit. If memory serves me correctly it costs around £20k to put a camera up and UTC don't have much of a budget, so they tend to get put in as part of larger schemes.

I don't think that Homebase is a very strategic location, can't see those signals causing any queues. Not sure about Psalter Lane either.

These cams are brill as they have all the roads on which take me to work so i know if i can venture out or not

One area, besides Woodseats as mentioned above, that I've always found odd that hasn't had one in place is Hunters Bar and Leppings Lane roundabouts.

Also find it odd how Sheffield City Council would pay for 2 CCTV cameras to be built in Rotherham (Meadowhall roundabout & Aston roundabout).