There is a North/South divide in Sheffield. Shame on us!

Then there are the council estates in Dore, Lodge Moor, Totley, etc, etc.

Didn't these disappear some years ago under "right to buy"?

Not all of them, I can't speak for Lodge Moor, but some very iffy folk have appeared on Totley Brook and Green Oak. Green Oak Park is now chav heaven, gardens that could obscure a pride of lions and a far greater police presence.

Not all of them, I can't speak for Lodge Moor, but some very iffy folk have appeared on Totley Brook and Green Oak. Green Oak Park is now chav heaven, gardens that could obscure a pride of lions and a far greater police presence.

That made me laugh! But you're right. Even after years working in housing I've never quite understood why people hold out for a house (rather than a maisonette or flat) then completely ignore the fact there's a garden with it. However, I haven't visited every area of Sheffield, so I can't comment on where individual gardens are best!

Are these council estate residents automatically offered a higher level of education because they live in Dore?

Consider the possibility that children of parents who have had a good education, and who know its worth, will have a more positive approach to their children's schooling than those who see teachers as adversaries. And so many do nowadays. Its fairly well known that children whose parents encourage and take an interest in their progress will generally do better at school. Plus, at present, there are no schools with 6th forms in the North of Sheffield, so the examples of older children still in education isn't seen as much the norm as perhaps it is in the south.

Lastly, although in Hillsborough Park some of the play equipment is looking shabby, the park is usually pretty well kept and appreciated by local people. And its definitely in the north.

The Lodge Moor one hasn't. Not all of it anyway.

Grenoside is only one exception. Burncross, Chapeltown, High Green, Ecclesfield, Deepcar, Stocksbridge, Worrall, Hillsborough, Outibridge, etc, etc.

Then there are the council estates in Dore, Lodge Moor, Totley, etc, etc.

Funnily enough those council estates are no different from the surrounding private housing, which does give truth to the lie that there is a north south divide. Maybe there is, but it isn't one of investment wealth or any other money measure. It is one of people.

If anyone is to be ashamed as stated by the OP, I'd suggest that some people need to sort themselves out and realise that it is up to them to make their places better.

Viney40, you're quite obviously a smart and articulate bloke but you seem to have a huge blind spot here.

There have been several flippant replies to my OP. There have been several intelligent replies. I tend not to contend the intelligent replies unless they have an underlying intent to cause argument.

Sometimes, a flippant reply has an undertone of intelligence. That is how (rightly or wrongly) I perceived your first reply. I admit to gently teasing you in order to qualify your views. No offence intended, that’s just my way.

After carefully weighing up the views of all contributors, I consider your view, and those that hold the same view, to be correct.

It is down to the people.

Thank you for your input. :)

Never mind a north south divide I wish we had a gate and wire fence around S10 to keep the Chavs that the council send to Tapton, from coming back at night to soil our streets and gutters.

Stop acting like a child.

Oh come on Cyclone, that is weak! what’s next? An attack on my grammar and spelling?

To be fair, you have tried to give me a bashing in previous threads! You should have realised by now, that I am not the sort of person to take unfounded trite laying down.

Perhaps I have been a little harsh on you in previous posts, but you reap what you sow.

You do make some valid points, but the way that you sometimes express them leaves something to be desired. I quite enjoy conversing with you, and there is nothing wrong with a good debate, but press the brake pedal on the arrogance, as it will only be met with the same response.

I am sorry for previously offending you, and hope that we can put this behind us, as I can guarantee that our paths will cross again.

All the best. Viney :)

Never mind a north south divide I wish we had a gate and wire fence around S10 to keep the Chavs that the council send to Tapton, from coming back at night to soil our streets and gutters.

You seem to be confusing "chavs" with "students", which defies logic, as you are obviously a student.

I live in north Sheffield. It's a hole, and full of scum. I plan on moving to the south of town. I'll take a downgrade of house if it means some decent company and surroundings.

(I note that not all people in north Sheffield are bad, just too many of them to be comfortable)

You seem to be confusing "chavs" with "students", which defies logic, as you are obviously a student.

No. The Chavs that come to Tapton from other lesser areas of this city ie not S10 could never be called students. They just lower the very high standards of a great school. Social engineering I think its called. I just call it plain stupid.

I live in north Sheffield. It's a hole, and full of scum. I plan on moving to the south of town. I'll take a downgrade of house if it means some decent company and surroundings.

(I note that not all people in north Sheffield are bad, just too many of them to be comfortable)

I came from the Cross when it was a decent hard working area. Not now. I do pitty those who can't get out for their kids sake. I left to get my lad in a decent school, but then our council had to mix things up a bit. Shipping all the crap no one else wants to our school.