There is a North/South divide in Sheffield. Shame on us!

....... I don't think the council is averse to ensuring all parks are equipped with sound, safe play environments or even skimp on investment - however, when things are continuously vandalised a burned for fun there's no wonder why investment is withdrawn.

However, they can be deaf to advice on how to minimise 'inevitable' damage to equipment on new projects.

There is also a fascination with trying to bring in new flashy equipment that will stand idle, in preference to the tried-and-tested, simple favourites of slides, swings, climbing frames, roundabouts and seesaws.

There is definately a North/South divide in Sheffield. The north side is situated to the north, whilst the south side is situated to the south. Might I hazzard a guess that the dividing line is the City Centre?

Its just a directional issue.

I agree - I don't think the council is averse to ensuring all parks are equipped with sound, safe play environments or even skimp on investment - however, when things are continuously vandalised a burned for fun there's no wonder why investment is withdrawn.

Simple answer is down to education and social interaction between people in each locality. It's difficult to tar people with the same brush as there is such a diverse range of people within each. However, you could argue that people within the wealthiest southern districts of Sheffield are in fact better educated and as such bring their kids up in a environment where socially acceptable behaviour is of a higher standard, as largely are values.

I'm not saying this doesn't happen within other less affluent areas of Sheffield, but factors such as the environment around individuals i.e. schools or even walking down the street can influence the way we behave - especially younger people, and you can see vast differences between North & South Sheffield.

I'm from North Sheffield BTW

Does this apply to Tony's council estate in Dore residents? Are these council estate resident's automatically offered a higher level of education because they live in Dore?

There is definately a North/South divide in Sheffield. The north side is situated to the north, whilst the south side is situated to the south. Might I hazzard a guess that the dividing line is the City Centre?

Its just a directional issue.

Another "jump in" poster that has not read the OP, or the thread. Don't worry crookesey, you're not the first.

Edited by viney40

Another "jump in" poster that has not read the OP, or the thread. Don't worry crookesey, you're not the first.

No, I read it from the start, I just wanted to defuse it somewhat, I probably made an arse of it. I really can't comment on the state of childrens playgrounds, and I'm not inclined to go in the direction of the north gets less, whilst the south gets more, I frankly don't know. :confused:

No, I read it from the start, I just wanted to defuse it somewhat, I probably made an arse of it. I really can't comment on the state of childrens playgrounds, and I'm not inclined to go in the direction of the north gets less, whilst the south gets more, I frankly don't know. :confused:

You nearly made an arse of it, but your later honesty prevailed. :thumbsup:

I don't think there is anything left in Chapeltown park except a couple of climbing frames and a set of swings that were installed about 1974.

Apology accepted.

You're full of yourself aren't you.

You'll recognise an apology if you ever get one, it will contain the word sorry in it.

I think this post highlights how some people like to kick up a fuss over nothing.

I stated many posts back that poorer areas get money for playgrounds. People refuted this yet RedRobbo confirmed this. This should have been the end of the discussion.

This is purely down to the fact that people jump in to help poorer areas gain funding. The richer areas are left to do it by themsleves.

It's such a vast area of topic that people do not understand it. Just because a playrground is not used - or is over used or abused - does not mean it there is a 'divide'. There are a variety of activities taking place in the South of Sheffeld every day - some kids might just not want to use the playground. In the North lets face it there aren't as much - even the ones that take place are not very attractive (100 kids per 2 members of staff for a certain group, who would think they would increase the staff numbers.)

We beat around the bush offering allsorts of excuses - but the South are more inclined to get off their backside and provide activities. Which is why funding is available for playgrounds - a playground does not need a person to supervise it so in the North we'll fund lots of playgrounds as nobody can be bothered to provide activities for kids (I know there are people in the North who work tireslessly for kids - lets hope a few more people folllow your suit).

It is crime prevention. People with money will fund projects to stop people getting involved in crime. A swing which will occupy a someone for 20 mins will give them 20 mins less time to rob a house. That is what these playgrounds do - they are there to provide the childhood that so many parents deprive their children of.

Edited by go4it

So it's down to the people, as Tony suggested quite a few pages ago.

You're full of yourself aren't you.

You'll recognise an apology if you ever get one, it will contain the word sorry in it.

That's better. :)