There is a North/South divide in Sheffield. Shame on us!

So, after all that long winded reply, you fail to address the assumption you jumped to.

And you've still not shared your own genius like (I'm sure) explanation for the geographical split, despite not liking the explanation of it being down to the people.

And it's south east, north west, yes, I know. And grenoside is still in the 'wrong' place if this split is to exist.

So, after all that long winded reply, you fail to address the assumption you jumped to.

And you've still not shared your own genius like (I'm sure) explanation for the geographical split, .........

Go back to the beginning .... they never claimed a geographical split.

They claimed a poor/better-off split with a poorly chosen metaphor of North/South to label the differences.

In that case I misunderstood. I was under the impression that there is a geographical element to affluence in the city, with grenoside being an exception (hence me point it out). I realise that it's not actually North/South, doesn't the South West of the city contain the majority of council wards that are considered affluent? And the North West contain the majority that are considered deprived?

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/councillors

Ward map here.

http://maps.southyorks.police.uk/IA/atlas.html?detectflash=false#

Crime map - correlates quite well, although it's a larger area and you need to find the boundaries of Sheffield yourself.

http://www.cih.org/branches/york/events/fi-yh-sept09/EricThompson.pdf

Page 10 of this PDF has a map showing 'Financial Exclusion', the East of the city is all red, the south and west, not red.

Edited by Cyclone

In that case I misunderstood. I was under the impression that there is a geographical element to affluence in the city, with grenoside being an exception (hence me point it out).

Grenoside is only one exception. Burncross, Chapeltown, High Green, Ecclesfield, Deepcar, Stocksbridge, Worrall, Hillsborough, Outibridge, etc, etc.

Then there are the council estates in Dore, Lodge Moor, Totley, etc, etc.

Funnily enough those council estates are no different from the surrounding private housing, which does give truth to the lie that there is a north south divide. Maybe there is, but it isn't one of investment wealth or any other money measure. It is one of people.

If anyone is to be ashamed as stated by the OP, I'd suggest that some people need to sort themselves out and realise that it is up to them to make their places better.

Viney40, you're quite obviously a smart and articulate bloke but you seem to have a huge blind spot here.

corkerSWFC - Hi there

Have you thought that the reason the good folks of Gleadless and Fir Vale

are 'down to earth' is that they have just been shot in a 'drive by' incident ?

(only joking)

This information is so out of date, It is over 8 years old! This would not reflect the current recession that has hit almost every area of Sheffield in some way.

I am using the North/South divide as a metaphor.

I take my kids out and about when I am of work, we go all over the place. If the kids see a park or playground on our travels, they pester me into submission to stop the car (other parent's will sympathize with this:().

I have noticed a huge difference between playgrounds in different parts of the city.

Parks in the more affluent parts of the city (lets call them South) have up to the minute apparatus with child safe surfaces.

The less affluent areas (lets call them North) have parks with worn out apparatus, and dangerous tarmac floor surfaces.

My observation’s expanded to the general appearance of these areas. South, well cared for with an obvious injection of cash from somewhere?! North, run down and little attention to the surroundings.

I am sure that I am not the only one to notice this divide, I just can't work out the reasons for it. :help:

Nothing dangerous about tarmac!

The reason the ones in the south are looking new is perhaps they were most in need of refurbishment having been neglected for years. A labour council isnt likely to be diverting cash to the areas few vote for for them unless they really have to

Maybe anything installed in parks in the "North" will be vandalized to buggery, hence they don't bother.

I agree - I don't think the council is averse to ensuring all parks are equipped with sound, safe play environments or even skimp on investment - however, when things are continuously vandalised a burned for fun there's no wonder why investment is withdrawn.

Simple answer is down to education and social interaction between people in each locality. It's difficult to tar people with the same brush as there is such a diverse range of people within each. However, you could argue that people within the wealthiest southern districts of Sheffield are in fact better educated and as such bring their kids up in a environment where socially acceptable behaviour is of a higher standard, as largely are values.

I'm not saying this doesn't happen within other less affluent areas of Sheffield, but factors such as the environment around individuals i.e. schools or even walking down the street can influence the way we behave - especially younger people, and you can see vast differences between North & South Sheffield.

I'm from North Sheffield BTW

This information is so out of date, It is over 8 years old! This would not reflect the current recession that has hit almost every area of Sheffield in some way.

I'm fairly confident that whilst the average will have dropped in every ward, that the overall pattern from the 2000 census will still be accurate.

In that case I misunderstood. I was under the impression that there is a geographical element to affluence in the city, with grenoside being an exception (hence me point it out). I realise that it's not actually North/South, doesn't the South West of the city contain the majority of council wards that are considered affluent? And the North West contain the majority that are considered deprived?

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/councillors

Ward map here.

http://maps.southyorks.police.uk/IA/atlas.html?detectflash=false#

Crime map - correlates quite well, although it's a larger area and you need to find the boundaries of Sheffield yourself.

http://www.cih.org/branches/york/events/fi-yh-sept09/EricThompson.pdf

Page 10 of this PDF has a map showing 'Financial Exclusion', the East of the city is all red, the south and west, not red.

Apology accepted.

Nothing dangerous about tarmac!

The reason the ones in the south are looking new is perhaps they were most in need of refurbishment having been neglected for years. A labour council isnt likely to be diverting cash to the areas few vote for for them unless they really have to

Think about it.