There is a North/South divide in Sheffield. Shame on us!

S10 is the best. Even the snow is posh not slush. I'm off to the pist skying ya.

S10 is a bit of a grey area. Students versus wealth. I am not sure where to place S10 in my North/South metaphore. I am open to advice.

S10 is a bit of a grey area. Students versus wealth. I am not sure where to place S10 in my North/South metaphore. I am open to advice.

I think that your North/South metaphor is confusing those who are taking it literally.

Why not try starting a new thread with different metaphors ..... say Black/White?

I think that your North/South metaphor is confusing those who are taking it literally.

Why not try starting a new thread with different metaphors ..... say Black/White?

My bold.

You seem confused.

It seems that there is a sub North/South divide in S10. Is the student quarter as well tended as the affluent quarter in S10?

How about changing the thread title to "There is a South-West/rest of Sheffield divide" I think that will please some and certainly offend the rest.

I think a lot of this is down to the people who live in the area. People have to take responsability for the area they live in. Making your own property respectful and pleasent goes a long way to making the rest of your area pleasent.

I live in the north side of the city and I think where I live is a very nice place (although where I used to live was an absolute disgrace - also north). I was always brought up to make sure my house looked respectful inside and out.

I think the council should distribute money equally throughout the city but there is the argument that why should the council put money into places whose occupants arn't going to do their bit to help.

Totally agree with you, if people are willing to look after their surrounding's area's stay nice , although after living in the North and South of Sheffield I found people like you a minority in the North which is a real shame , many year's ago Parson Cross was a nice place to live with a good community spirit,

sadly that's all gone , it seem's to be now an estate run by yobs and out of control children that do seem to get great pleasure in destroying anything the council put in their local parks,

South sheffield I have to say seem's more like another planet, friendly well natured people ( the majority) well manared kids, Rotherham and Barnsley are on a par ,( as someone said on an earlier post - santuary) so come on Parson Cross get a grip on your kids and make it a nice place to live in again, just so people don't think i'm picking on Parson cross- many other places were nice - including firth Park - Hartly Brook- High Green- and many other's all ruined by the scurge that seem's to be sweeping the North- I don't think its too late to turn thing's around

Edited by hillwalker
more added

I didn't need to ask him, you did it for me and he ignored you.

You assumed in the next post you made, and I suggested that your assumption was wrong. You could have asked in the first place and avoided the (I think incorrect) assumption you made.

Isn't grenoside north? It's one of the nicer areas of Sheffield, so I guess it's more complicated than just a division along some geographical boundary.

I wonder how well the perceived 'niceness' of the areas would overlay with the crime rate maps and the social deprivation indices maps.

I think there probably is a divide, but you would expect different areas to attract different type of people with different needs. And when you have different areas like this I think it can be very hard to decide what is and isn't fair.

Most of us would agree that every area should have the same number of play areas and they should have the same quality equipment. Except, maybe there are some areas with more children than others, so maybe it should be proportional to that. But then, if there are less children in the area, then maybe there are more people of a different group, and instead of playgrounds the council should focus on community wardens, or policing.

Perhaps we should say every area should get the same amount of money spent on it as any other area, but then, any area with a high number of benefit claimants, or an area with a high police presence will not get all the nice amenities of the posh quiet suburbs.

I suppose the only way to be fair is to re-build sheffield as a series of identical flats or houses following a repeated pattern so that everyone has the same sized rooms, and kitchens, and gardens, and proximity to local amenities. But then having said that, some people might like that kind of order and others might hate having to live like that, which hardly seems, well, fair.

You assumed in the next post you made, and I suggested that your assumption was wrong. You could have asked in the first place and avoided the (I think incorrect) assumption you made.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make, but I am sure it is clear in your mind, and that is all that matters. Thanks for your, err, contribution, to the thread.

You seem to loose the thread of a conversation so easily.

Nice people make nice areas, money or not.

So you are now saying that there is a divide! Nice people live in nice areas, bad people in bad areas, or is that just the state of your mind?

See what you did, assumed that Tony was labelling everyone in the area, rather than just talking about a prevailing attitude.

Then.

Didn't you start this thread by saying that there was a divide?

Then when people try to explain it being down to the people who live in the area you argue against that.

What do you think is the cause of the difference?

I argue against people labelling all people because of the area they live in. Surely anyone with a modicum of intelligence realises that not all people that live in a bad area are bad, and vice versa.

Tony never argued that all the people of the area were the same, which you clearly imply (in bold).

You also didn't bother to offer your own thoughts on why there is a divide, which you think there is (the point of the thread), but don't think is down to the people.

See what you did, assumed that Tony was labelling everyone in the area, rather than just talking about a prevailing attitude.

Then.

Tony never argued that all the people of the area were the same, which you clearly imply (in bold).

You also didn't bother to offer your own thoughts on why there is a divide, which you think there is (the point of the thread), but don't think is down to the people.

Is that it? Is that the result of all your sleepless nights, trying to think of a way to discredit viney? Have I indulged you by replying to your previous posts, only to be confronted by an anticlimactic none point?

I should feel flattered by your fan mail, but feel nothing but disappointment.

All those years at Uni’, being encouraged by your science lecturer to enter into informed, reasonable debate, down the pan due to your leaning towards the arrogance of your youth. What a waste.

For your future reference, here is where you went wrong (plus a little free advice!):

Lose the user name. A cyclone is a force of nature that sweeps through an area causing massive damage very quickly, then moving on. You are a quick thinker and a quick typist. Unfortunately, you type quicker than you think! Slow it down a little. Think before you type. Maybe change your user name to “draught”

(that’s advice).

“draft” is another word that is pronounced the same way as “draught”. It has a different meaning, but is still pertinent to my reply. If you draft your replies, you can check them before you commit yourself in haste.

You selected snippets of conversation from this thread (not the whole conversation/‘s), and pieced them together to suit your means. This is commonly known as “editing”.

Editing can be a very powerful tool in the hands of the adept. You are not proficient in editing therefore it is best that you don’t attempt it again (more advice).

Read the OP carefully before jumping in. Your reference to Grenoside being in the North, shows your complete ignorance of my metaphor! And finally, I asked for advice on my observations. Hence I did not make an uninformed statement. I only made statements after weighing up the information that had been presented.

Then.

If it's ok with you, I'll get on with some plastering now. :)