There is a North/South divide in Sheffield. Shame on us!

I take it you have'nt been to forge dam park in fulwood it has to be the worst one around!!

I would argue it's more south/ west vs north/ east.

As to the rather strange Britain in Bloom contest statement, that's easy to answer. Dore and Fulwood stand a chance of having their residents take part and thereby win. I know it's a gross generalisation but there is more community pride (qv snobbishness?) in those areas [Note - I did not say community spirit, because I don't think there is]. Nor do I think that anyone who lives on the north/ east side of the city is a slob, as I say it's a generalisation and an unfortunate one. Something ought to be done about it... but I'm not holding my breath.

My bold.

Why??? Your statement is the strangest so far. Back it up.

I take it you have'nt been to forge dam park in fulwood it has to be the worst one around!!

It is actually one of the best. I take it that you haven't stepped any further than Forge. Sheltered life your kid's lead. Tut tut.

Awww I love the fact it remains as it did when I played there 20 years ago! If it ever changes I will... Shake my fist in the air!

Community involvement is a big reason. Have a look at the minutes of the various council area panels, which are available on the council website. The south west panel often has four of five different community groups in attendance, whilst some other areas often have none. Many of the good things that the 'nicer' areas have are down to very effective lobbying from involved and organised members of the community. Also, Millhouses park gets additional money from community organised fund raising events.

So you admit there is a divide! The South (remember the metaphor) use private sport centres, so have no need to mix with the "North". Check out the locations of members only sport centres.

the north also has member only gyms ect,

why do you think the council has neglected the south with public sports facilities?

It is actually one of the best. I take it that you haven't stepped any further than Forge. Sheltered life your kid's lead. Tut tut.

Not sheltered in the least i dont live at Fulwood and i dont care to but it is rubbish unlike Norfolk park .firth park ,Crookesmoor,pondarosa and Heeley need i go on .A lot of the parks have been refurbed because of fundraising and grants .

I would argue it's more south/ west vs north/ east.

As to the rather strange Britain in Bloom contest statement, that's easy to answer. Dore and Fulwood stand a chance of having their residents take part and thereby win. I know it's a gross generalisation but there is more community pride (qv snobbishness?) in those areas [Note - I did not say community spirit, because I don't think there is]. Nor do I think that anyone who lives on the north/ east side of the city is a slob, as I say it's a generalisation and an unfortunate one. Something ought to be done about it... but I'm not holding my breath.

My bold.

Britain in Bloom is down to local business and residents!!!! There's nothing stopping Gleadless Valley and Fir Vale from being involved, other that a lack of interest and motivation.

Is Walkley in your "North" or your "South" ?

I think it's considered a "nice" place to live (well I like it), but it's not exactly "fancy", and the people in the pubs are "proper" Sheffielders (not me. I've only been here thirty years - I don't count yet).

My bold.

In regards to Britain in Bloom (and I was arguing your comment was 'strange' in that you chose a very minor thing to illustrate a massive and unfortunate issue, perhaps I chose my word incorrectly) I say what I say because it is those sorts of areas that have a strong (mostly middle class female) community organisation that has time on its hands. While other areas have very strong community organisations I would argue that they don't have the major time investments needed for such a contest. That is only my (stereotyped?) opinion and you can feel free to differ.

I also am NOT arguing that any of this is a good thing. Quite the opposite in fact...

the north also has member only gyms ect,

why do you think the council has neglected the south with public sports facilities?

Are you testing me, or are you about to give us all a revelation?

Don't be shy dongle. Share it with the group.

My bold.

Viney40, Britain in Bloom entrants are drawn from the regional winners, as a matter of fact Beighton won the Yorkshire in Bloom competition overall and represented the county for the last Britain in Bloom.

It's not about money but about participation. Similarly with parks which have friends groups, Hillsborough Park has one and they work hard to bring things to the park, Middlewood Park was redeveloped at a cost of over £350,000 in conjunction with local people (also in the north) There is a new friends of Spider Park group in Wisewood who will be working with the local council and others to fund raise and develop a masterplan for that park.

The north of sheffield has had alot of work done on local parks, the difference being that unfortunatley in some areas the local people don't look after the equipment and it is vandalised and damaged. Perhaps this doesn't happen to play areas in the South of the city?

edit: libertarian - Beighton didn't have any financial help of any significance and it was achieved with a small dedicated group of volunteers :)