There is a North/South divide in Sheffield. Shame on us!

I am using the North/South divide as a metaphor.

I take my kids out and about when I am of work, we go all over the place. If the kids see a park or playground on our travels, they pester me into submission to stop the car (other parent's will sympathize with this:().

I have noticed a huge difference between playgrounds in different parts of the city.

Parks in the more affluent parts of the city (lets call them South) have up to the minute apparatus with child safe surfaces.

The less affluent areas (lets call them North) have parks with worn out apparatus, and dangerous tarmac floor surfaces.

My observation’s expanded to the general appearance of these areas. South, well cared for with an obvious injection of cash from somewhere?! North, run down and little attention to the surroundings.

I am sure that I am not the only one to notice this divide, I just can't work out the reasons for it. :help:

I am using the North/South divide as a metaphor.

I take my kids out and about when I am of work, we go all over the place. If the kids see a park or playground on our travels, they pester me into submission to stop the car (other parent's will sympathize with this:().

I have noticed a huge difference between playgrounds in different parts of the city.

Parks in the more affluent parts of the city (lets call them South) have up to the minute apparatus with child safe surfaces.

The less affluent areas (lets call them North) have parks with worn out apparatus, and dangerous tarmac floor surfaces.

My observation’s expanded to the general appearance of these areas. South, well cared for with an obvious injection of cash from somewhere?! North, run down and little attention to the surroundings.

I am sure that I am not the only one to notice this divide, I just can't work out the reasons for it. :help:

Well the further north you go it gets nearer to Barnsley whereas if you head south and make it through the refugee buffer zone of Lowedges/Batemoor you reach North Derbyshire (AKA Sanctuary).:hihi:

I am sure that I am not the only one to notice this divide, .....

I think that you may be mistaken.

If you undertake a task to visit every playground in the city, you may realise that it is not as distinct as you suggest.

Go and have a look at Highfields, Herdings park, High Hazels park, and you will see what the OP means, the swings at Herdings park have been there since my dad was at school he reckons, which was 40 years ago.

Maybe its something to do with them beginning with "H", the council probably removed it from the computer because they knew most parks beginning with H were in the not so good areas lol.

i think all of the council owned sport centres are in the north such as hillsborough,concord and don valley so you could say the south of sheffield is neglected in this respect

I think that you may be mistaken.

If you undertake a task to visit every playground in the city, you may realise that it is not as distinct as you suggest.

I have, but not by my own choice.

I have noticed that over the past five years or so, that there is a huge distinction. On my travels I have seen the likes of Dore and Fullwood entering the Britain in Bloom competition. I can't say the same for Fir Vale or Gleadless Valley! Why not? Surely tax payer’s money is equally distributed around the city!?

Go and have a look at Highfields, Herdings park, High Hazels park, and you will see what the OP means, ......

I've just re-read the OP and realised that it wasn't a literal North/South thing.

Sorry.

Edited by cgksheff

Go and have a look at Highfields, Herdings park, High Hazels park, and you will see what the OP means, the swings at Herdings park have been there since my dad was at school he reckons, which was 40 years ago.

Maybe its something to do with them beginning with "H", the council probably removed it from the computer because they knew most parks beginning with H were in the not so good areas lol.

High hazels is not as bad as you make out. Is has what I would call an average playground, swings etc. It's just a pity they are all at the top of that big hill! It is always full of families in the summer, which cannot be a bad sign?

I would argue it's more south/ west vs north/ east.

As to the rather strange Britain in Bloom contest statement, that's easy to answer. Dore and Fulwood stand a chance of having their residents take part and thereby win. I know it's a gross generalisation but there is more community pride (qv snobbishness?) in those areas [Note - I did not say community spirit, because I don't think there is]. Nor do I think that anyone who lives on the north/ east side of the city is a slob, as I say it's a generalisation and an unfortunate one. Something ought to be done about it... but I'm not holding my breath.

I dont care if it south east or west, your just avoiding the fact that the better areas get things before the supposed worse areas.

One thing i can say is ive lived in one of the nicest areas in Cheshire and North Wales and to be quite frank id rather be in Gleadless, Firth Park any day, at least people are down to earth and don't think that money is the be all and end all of things.

You can have money without flaunting it, trust the corks!

i think all of the council owned sport centres are in the north such as hillsborough,concord and don valley so you could say the south of sheffield is neglected in this respect

So you admit there is a divide! The South (remember the metaphor) use private sport centres, so have no need to mix with the "North". Check out the locations of members only sport centres.