Best Indian restaurant / curry house in Sheffield - Megathread

Great post DerbyTup

Have you tried Zaras in Crookes ? That is my personal favourite (and I have tried quite a few on the west side of the city as well as others further afield)

Always good quality and taste regardless of the day you go (some places I find can be very variable depending on which chef is in the kitchen...).

And its great value for takeaway if you collect (as they knock off 20 %).

http://www.zarasrestaurant.com/

I also do like the Ashoka on Ecclesall road for a slightly more upmarket meal.

I think I tried Zara in Crookes - if it's the one I'm thinking of it's bang in the middle of the main shopping bit. I didn't think it was as good as Rajput but it was decent. I keep hearing about Ashoka. It used to be one of the very best in Sheffield but I'm going back some years now - to the days of "Shujon" and "The Mogul Rooms" in Dore. I must give it another try - I know it's only a small place but I hear it turns out quality stuff.

---------- Post added 12-09-2016 at 20:10 ----------

Its a good post if a little holier than thou, just do not get this Akbars thing, average at best and horrid dark place where you feel rushed.

The food at Zara's and Ashoka is far better.

It's all about opinions, but in my opinion, no it isn't. If you are telling me that I can get the range and quality in Zara's and Ashoka that I get at Akbars then I'll stand corrected.

Fish - I'm not a big fish lover to be honest - but the beautiful crispy, spicy fish masala at Akbars is something else. Tell me where else can I get masala fish like that? Even my favourite takeway, Takdir, has recently started doing fish (well, in the last 2/3 years to be fair), but it's nice but nowhere near the quality of Akbars. Same with the lamb chops.

As I've said before - if you just want a bog standard pappadoms, bhaji's, curry and naan, (or chips), then don't waste your time, fuel and money going to Akbar's, because you won't appreciate it. And I don't mean that rudely.

But if you really want to branch out a bit then there's nowhere better.

I remember driving Indian/Pakistani professional clients from Sheffield to West Yorkshire to eat at Akbar's years before they arrived here. Like everything else, Sheffield was a good 20 years behind. And the reason why? Because local folks just don't appreciate the difference in quality. I'm sorry but it's true.:(

II keep hearing about Ashoka. It used to be one of the very best in Sheffield but I'm going back some years now - to the days of "Shujon" and "The Mogul Rooms" in Dore. I must give it another try - I know it's only a small place but I hear it turns out quality stuff.

They did a good job of the refurb - very much in the Dishoom (London chain) mould - but there's worse places to .. er.. "inspired" by. Sensibly just concentrates on a limited menu - and does it well

I think I tried Zara in Crookes - if it's the one I'm thinking of it's bang in the middle of the main shopping bit. I didn't think it was as good as Rajput but it was decent. I keep hearing about Ashoka. It used to be one of the very best in Sheffield but I'm going back some years now - to the days of "Shujon" and "The Mogul Rooms" in Dore. I must give it another try - I know it's only a small place but I hear it turns out quality stuff.

---------- Post added 12-09-2016 at 20:10 ----------

It's all about opinions, but in my opinion, no it isn't. If you are telling me that I can get the range and quality in Zara's and Ashoka that I get at Akbars then I'll stand corrected.

Fish - I'm not a big fish lover to be honest - but the beautiful crispy, spicy fish masala at Akbars is something else. Tell me where else can I get masala fish like that? Even my favourite takeway, Takdir, has recently started doing fish (well, in the last 2/3 years to be fair), but it's nice but nowhere near the quality of Akbars. Same with the lamb chops.

As I've said before - if you just want a bog standard pappadoms, bhaji's, curry and naan, (or chips), then don't waste your time, fuel and money going to Akbar's, because you won't appreciate it. And I don't mean that rudely.

But if you really want to branch out a bit then there's nowhere better.

I remember driving Indian/Pakistani professional clients from Sheffield to West Yorkshire to eat at Akbar's years before they arrived here. Like everything else, Sheffield was a good 20 years behind. And the reason why? Because local folks just don't appreciate the difference in quality. I'm sorry but it's true.:(

Zara's and Ashoka most certainly don't do what describe above and your eating in far better surroundings.

Went to Ashoka on Ecclesall Road at the weekend after reading through this thread.

Wasn't really impressed at all. Me and the missus both thought the curries we chose were tasteless and bland, the bread was Ok. For a Saturday night at 9pm, the place was quiet too.

The venue is very nice, as are the staff and the service is good. Nice to see a decent selection of beers on offer. However I think for Indian/Pakistani style curry in Sheffield, I'll stick to Akbars, Mangla and Zaika.

Ashoka can be hit and miss but this applies to most of the above on here they do have some real ales which is a bonus to me try the shapla next time.

If heading home down the M1 pull off at J37 and try Little India in Barugh Green. It's take away only (plus a cookery school and sells herbs and spices) but it won the 2016 English Curry Awards Best Take-away in Yorkshire- which I believe includes that there West Yorkshire where I think Bradford is :hihi:

I tried it after hearing this, and had one of the best curry dishes I've ever enjoyed. Try the Apna style section of the menu.

Ok it's not quite in Sheffield but it has a Sheffield post code

Went to Ashoka on Ecclesall Road at the weekend after reading through this thread.

Wasn't really impressed at all. Me and the missus both thought the curries we chose were tasteless and bland, the bread was Ok. For a Saturday night at 9pm, the place was quiet too.

The venue is very nice, as are the staff and the service is good. Nice to see a decent selection of beers on offer. However I think for Indian/Pakistani style curry in Sheffield, I'll stick to Akbars, Mangla and Zaika.

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy dinner with us. I'm a Zaika regular and enjoy their curries. One of their chefs left a few months ago and started a place not far from Zaikai called Desi Bar Grill. May be another one for you to try?

If you'd like to send me an email ([email protected]) with a little more detail about the experience we'd appreciate it - maybe allowing us the opportunity to put right what we obviously got wrong!

Thanks - Ashoka.

I agree with nearly everything that Derby Tup says on Indian food however his recommendation of Takdir is very surprising. It is local to me but i rarely use it as it is a typically bland take away, even the desi section of the menu.

A couple of takeaways I have not seen mentioned are Apna Lahore on Abbeydale Road, which makes nice spicy homestyle food and Abduls at the bottom of Eccy Road which is a West Yorkshire based chain making good asian style curries without the heat.

Myself and hubby enjoy a tasty curry. Currently our fave place is Prithiraj on Ecclesall rd. We live in north Sheffield though and wondered if anyone can recommend a restaurant this side of town:help: