Best Indian restaurant / curry house in Sheffield - Megathread

Daarbar in Hillsborough is fantastic.

I didn't mind Taste Of India in Hillsborough, however, the other week I walked passed, and looked down the alley at the side of it. The side door was open and I saw a rat on top of a wheelie bin. All I think now is that the rat could have easily gone in the side door. Urgh.

went last night to the little india this time it was early but 12 people in and the phone never stopped for takeaways,i had the chicken with mince dish with plain rice,and a very crispy plain nan and tarka dall very nice not rushed, and with coffee.we really enjoyed it,also its nice to be asked if we wanted a top up coffee on the house, also they have just put out the new menu dishes ,but we stuck to to dishes we had not had for a while,ali was saying they now open 7 days so if you like it a bit more on the quite side ..........midweek is better ps tram stops at town end 2mins walk away

Anyone know what happened to the mangla on spiral hill? Food used to be great last 2 times I've been it's been very average at best,

Ranmoor Tandoori is our go-to place - its BYOB which is a huge plus, friendly waiters, good food, good price.

We started going to Panaha's in Nether Green too, as it was run by same people, but I don't rate it. The atmosphere isn't as warm, the portions aren't as big and I feel like they added £1 to every dish (although might be imagining it). Main plus is the Rising Sun pub over the road.

Paprikas in Fulwood is the best take away by far, and excellent prices. Darbaars take away in Hillsborough also good but never eaten in.

Can also second recommendations for the Rajput in Walkley.

We eat out in places like butlers Balti Shapla, Rajput, Aagra, Akbars,chutney at gleadless, Ambar and a few others. Any of these are usually decent!

Does any one remember Amraj at crystal peaks now moved down to Beighton village it's pot luck on the food side if you end up with a good or bad curry ! It's BYO wine and larger etc another down side he charges £2.50 per person for corkage in my opinion he's shooting himself in the foot by doing so and I now I've stopped going a lot of the regulars have done the same! Would any one else be happy to pay £2.50 per person for corkage.

Edited by allwednesday

Ok, (long time reader, but rare poster)

This is an easy one for us having tried most of the curry places around!!

There are some popular ones that I don't rate:

Akbar's - The big one on the way to Rotherham (meadow bank road) lovely setting, lovely flavour, but the chicken has always been "pulled" "Bitty" chicken and not as good meat as it could be. (lovely naan breads though).

We used to like Jinnah at Eccesfield - but since the name change we have not found it so good!

Rajiputs on the other hand at Commonside - this is a fantastic meal, BYO as well and one of the best value for money Currys in Sheffield for certain.

However - the very best has got to be "Jewel" near Carbrook.

This is the best tasting curry, the best service and by far the best overall Indian experience in Sheffield. They can not do too much for each customer, each and every person leaves there feeling like the meal was created just for them and this is one place that I would never hesitate to recommend - yes it is not the cheapest place in town, however it is worth every singe penny.

It is for us a special occasion curry house, but it makes the occasion special

Ok, (long time reader, but rare poster)

This is an easy one for us having tried most of the curry places around!!

There are some popular ones that I don't rate:

Akbar's - The big one on the way to Rotherham (meadow bank road) lovely setting, lovely flavour, but the chicken has always been "pulled" "Bitty" chicken and not as good meat as it could be. (lovely naan breads though).

We used to like Jinnah at Eccesfield - but since the name change we have not found it so good!

Rajiputs on the other hand at Commonside - this is a fantastic meal, BYO as well and one of the best value for money Currys in Sheffield for certain.

However - the very best has got to be "Jewel" near Carbrook.

This is the best tasting curry, the best service and by far the best overall Indian experience in Sheffield. They can not do too much for each customer, each and every person leaves there feeling like the meal was created just for them and this is one place that I would never hesitate to recommend - yes it is not the cheapest place in town, however it is worth every singe penny.

It is for us a special occasion curry house, but it makes the occasion special

Yes I will second that! the jewel is class the food is top notch and has you say you don't mind paying for quality food and wine! They keep the place warm in the winter months too it's a great experience.

Yes I will second that! the jewel is class the food is top notch and has you say you don't mind paying for quality food and wine! They keep the place warm in the winter months too it's a great experience.

I agree completely. We eat at a fair few curry restaurants (Indian / south Indian / Bangladeshi / Pakistani) in and around Sheffield and Jewel is, for us, a cut above the rest at the moment.

The staff are really helpful and informative when it comes to the menu, not trying to push pricey specials like some places, but giving genuine advice. The service is not rushed and each meal actually tastes distinctly different (unlike some places we have visited!)

I agree completely. We eat at a fair few curry restaurants (Indian / south Indian / Bangladeshi / Pakistani) in and around Sheffield and Jewel is, for us, a cut above the rest at the moment.

The staff are really helpful and informative when it comes to the menu, not trying to push pricey specials like some places, but giving genuine advice. The service is not rushed and each meal actually tastes distinctly different (unlike some places we have visited!)

Yes well said we don't mind paying the higher price for quality food and wine and good service.

Abdul's on Ecclesall Rd is meant to be brilliant, not been yet but hope to go soon.

shapla every time :)

I prefer Induz to Shapla and Zeenats but haven't been to Jewel. Is it across from Carbrook and is it still open?