Best Indian restaurant / curry house in Sheffield - Megathread

It would be interesting if someone dared to open a truly high end Indian restaurant with just a handful of starters, mains etc cooked fresh which change regularly rather than the usual curry 15 different ways places we have now which surely must all come from one pot with minor changes...?

Something to rival artisan, Marcos or Morans?

Or would it fall flat on its face?

Do Sheffield folk only want poppadoms, bhajis and bhunas?

I'd say we are about 5years away from our first proper fine dinning Indian/Bangladeshi/Pakistani restaurant but will the majority support it? If anyone did one now in Sheffield ( e.g lasan in Birmingham) it would fail we are just seeing fine dinning restaurants pop up in the uk most shut after 6months of tradeing Sheffield is not ready yet if it was then cafe guru and dosanj would have still been in business

Shapla i like the food; but the service is not the best. Shah Jahan newly opened on london road (next to chinos) is Indian only as per them; its an avoid for now - they are yet to get in terms with service; credit card machine is not yet set up ... !!

No mate, not quite.

Akbar's have been operating for years in West Yorkshire. As someone who spent most of my life entertaining professional clients, many of whom were Indian/Pakistani themselves, the reputation of Akbars has always been very good and a preferred choice of those who know their Indian food. Probably closer to genuine Indian home cooking than most other places - which may be why some don't like it?

For example, curries at Akbars are not a dish of spicy gravy with bits of meat in it. I appreciate that's what most people expect, but that's not what authentic curry is about. The curries at Akbars will invariably be quite dry with not much sauce - unless you specifically ask for it saucy. I can understand why that wouldn't appeal to some people.

Also, if you are one of those folks that have a little take away menu at home with a dish starred with your name alongside it - because you always order the same thing every time (Chicken tikka masala anyone? or butter chicken?) then you're probably not going to appreciate Akbar's. Because you'll be confused by the choice and the strange sounding names of dishes. And I dare say their chicken tikka masala is no better than anyone elses.

But if you are willing to branch out a bit - try some of the fantastic tandoori starters, especially the fish which is out of this world, or the lamb chops - and then move on to try something a bit different like a lamb handi - lamb curry homemade style on the bone - or maybe Akbar e Balti - chicken, lamb and mushroom cooked together in a dry medium curry sauce - you might begin to appreciate this is not just different but preferable.

Anyhow, personal taste comes into it of course - but depends where your reference points are I suppose. In my case, and I can assure you I don't recommend Akbar's because of the hype. I was going there years before it was ever heard of in our wonderfully progressive gastronomic capital city.

Listen "mate" you dont have to lecture/speak down to me with regards to curry, I have tried different curries/starters etc in Indian restaurants all over the country, the Akbars in in West Yorkshire may be all you say it is but the one in Sheffield is far from it, the last main dish I had in there was the "spicy gravy with bits of meat in it" that you deride (it wasnt particularly spicy either).

I would choose many many curry houses in Sheffield and its environs before returning to Akbars.

1. bilash - hunters bar

2. kinaara - darnall

3. akbars (but pricey!)

Go and give Cutlers Spice a try at Gleadless (old cutlers pub)

Cutlers spice is amazing. Great food, great staff, great place.

It's great to see some quality local family-run Indian restaurants springing up in South Sheffield and elsewhere. They will need all the help they can get from the locals to compete against the big chains who have plenty of money for mass marketing but may not necessarily have the best food.

Has anyone tried jewal in attercliffe?

Thinking of going and wondering what it is like

Induz is one of my favorites as well!

does anyone know if Indus has a website was sure they did but can't seem to find it :huh:

Has to be Zaras in crookes, absolutely stunning food and service!

does anyone know if Indus has a website was sure they did but can't seem to find it :huh:

just google induz