The Tip (Ponderosa)

Brilliant link karl101, I love google earth to start with but with this patch on it it's fantastic. Pity you can't go into google street in way back when, of course that can't be but it would be magical - it'd be weeks before I came of the pc.

To quote

The name “Ponderosa” was originally an informal name given by local children, it is now the accepted title and is recognised by the local council. Along with Weston Park and Crookes Valley Park it is one of the three “Crookesmoor Parks”. It was initially referred to as the tip.

End Quote Look it up on Wikipedia "Ponderossa area of Sheffield"

Things change very Quickly I was born in Martin St but of interest pre 1900s it was called King St. My father used to call the area around Watery Lane and hammond Hill "Port Mahon" and if you query this on the internet you will find him right.

To quote

The name “Ponderosa” was originally an informal name given by local children, it is now the accepted title and is recognised by the local council. Along with Weston Park and Crookes Valley Park it is one of the three “Crookesmoor Parks”. It was initially referred to as the tip.

End Quote Look it up on Wikipedia "Ponderossa area of Sheffield"

Things change very Quickly I was born in Martin St but of interest pre 1900s it was called King St. My father used to call the area around Watery Lane and hammond Hill "Port Mahon" and if you query this on the internet you will find him right.

Many still know the area at the bottom of Netherthorpe hill as "Port Mahon" (Poo-ert Mee-on")

Of Interest

Port Mahon is the port of the capital of Minorca Mahon. It is the second largest deepwater naval port in the world after Pearl Harbour and was British up to the end of the 19th Century. Nelson used it for his major battles in the Mediterraean.

It is pronounced in Minorca _which is mainly basque speaking as Porto Mao

Have you had a look on picture Sheffield?

I know there's some pictures on there, looking down over the Ponderosa field around the time they cleared Fawcett Street and neighbouring streets, which shows the two "Huts" that still stand about halfway up the field, (My dad remembers them as woodwork/ cooking/ classrooms -I think he said- for Crookesmoor school, and I believe they became some sort of youth club/ youth base?)

hi my name is paul grubb and I spent loads of time on the tip as a kid and originally there was three huts one was a carrabian club the other turned into a youth club and one still belonged to crookesmoor school the youth club also opriginally belonged to crookesmoor school and as a pupil there we used to do arts and crafts making baskets lol and we even got to mess around with liquid mercury

---------- Post added 14-09-2013 at 10:08 ----------

That is what I remember along with 'Tip'

BTW does anyone remember the Air Raid shelters close to the bottom of the 'Tip' at the Oxford St side?

The entrances were trianglar in shape and above ground, all that they did was to smash them with a huge metal ball suspended from a crane; so it is reasonable to think that the underground structure is still intact.

As a little kid I watched them doing this around 1947/8.

hello my name is paul grubb and I remember the air raid shelter very well we used to play in it wen we wer kids in the sixties and it is still intact but the entrance was covered years ago wen they demolished the houses on mushroom lane Canada street and blythe street the shelter runs under the main road into crookes valley park and the air shaft is still there but been lowered and sealed of with a concrete block but has a steel cover to still gain access it is situated at the bach of the hut for the bowling greens

hi my name is paul grubb and I spent loads of time on the tip as a kid and originally there was three huts one was a carrabian club the other turned into a youth club and one still belonged to crookesmoor school the youth club also opriginally belonged to crookesmoor school and as a pupil there we used to do arts and crafts making baskets lol and we even got to mess around with liquid mercury

---------- Post added 14-09-2013 at 10:08 ----------

hello my name is paul grubb and I remember the air raid shelter very well we used to play in it wen we wer kids in the sixties and it is still intact but the entrance was covered years ago wen they demolished the houses on mushroom lane Canada street and blythe street the shelter runs under the main road into crookes valley park and the air shaft is still there but been lowered and sealed of with a concrete block but has a steel cover to still gain access it is situated at the bach of the hut for the bowling greens

You mention Canada Street. My grandpa came "off'n't Canada".

Is anyone on the site that remembers or use to play on the old Ponderosa when it only use to go up to the raod that ran across from Fawcett St to the flats?

---------- Post added 09-02-2017 at 15:55 ----------

I was told by my mother. That what we use to use as the middle pich where all the dusty ash was . as you came down there was a manhole cover just before you wet dow to the bottom pitch. She thought that it was an air raid shelter enterence. I know on the middle pitch that they use to put air raid balloons tethered there. The Middle pitch was where Crookesmoor School played there football matches.

On 10/01/2010 at 22:28, deecee said:

well said nellie, I second that. my brother and me were brought up by the side of The " Tip "on Bromley street and I cannot remember anyone calling it by any other name . My father and his brothers were all brought up on Fawcett street and his brothers and his father .

deecee

It was known as the tip but on Sheffield street maps it was known as Crookesmoor recreation ground. When the land was started to begrassed over and the factory was removed it became the Ponerosa late 50,s early60,s

11 hours ago, desy said:

It was known as the tip but on Sheffield street maps it was known as Crookesmoor recreation ground. When the land was started to begrassed over and the factory was removed it became the Ponerosa late 50,s early60,s

I lived in Walkely but fairly sure we called it "the rec" - I don't recall seeing it written down but that spelling would fit in with "recreation ground".

Very late coming to this thread but I know the Council in the mid 80s used to to do monitoring on the Tip to check for levels of methane from decomposing waste on the Tip.  Levels found were negligible 👍

Ponderosa was mentioned in Fred Passes book whers my Dad,