Fixation/obsession with race..unhealthy?

Why do you think SF (general) has a fixation with race?

Personally I find it very tedious when a different aspect is put forward on different threads (sometimes not even related) and get the almost identical reply as if the person making the statement is filing our lives with some beautiful philosophical point, where in reality their only repeating what they've already said in another thread or all the threads they answer to..with slight modifications.

I'm wondering if those that contribute(i use the word loosely) to SF (general) are those that watch Eastenders, then the repeat, then the repeat of the repeat, then the omnibus edition, and have no social life whatsoever. And, because of that their bitterness or inability to see beyond 4 walls shows through. It's almost as if hate, bitterness, fear are a comfort, with the daily Mail as a guide to how the world really is, where in reality it's how their world is.

I know this is a race related thread and I apologise..It won't happen again.

I guess its in the name 'race', it makes people get competative :D

yes it IS unhealthy, some people seem obsessed with finding the smallest inkling of badness for certain types of people they can

Yes your fixation is unhealthy and you should seek treatment (not the forum user treatment).

I very rarely see any Race fixation problems on the forum.....perhaps its all in your mind

Let's get this straight. We should expect to be obsessed with matters of race, and discriminate accordingly in the following types of situations only:

As the shopkeeper from League of Gentlemen might say "This is a local Forum, for local people!" I see there's some of them on here already.

SF, surely, is a sample of the population of a whole.

What you perceive as a fixation with race I perceive as a bunch of bigots having their say and a bunch of anti-bigots who don't feel they can allow the bigots to have their say without being challenged.

The reason it appears as an inordinately major issue on here is that:

a. the forum brings together, in conversation, people who, in real life, wouldn't be willing to share the same piece of pavement with each other

and

b. the anonimity of an internet forum allows people to reveal private opinions that they wouldn't dream of sharing down the pub or wherever.

Because of the above, contentious issues are much more likely to rear their collective head on here than in real life and, therefore, may appear as "fixations".

HTH

Edited by Lockjaw

As the shopkeeper from League of Gentlemen might say "This is a local Forum, for local people!" I see there's some of them on here already.

What, shopkeepers ?

some interesting posts that reflect the present.

Personally I find it very tedious when a different aspect is put forward on different threads (sometimes not even related) and get the almost identical reply as if the person making the statement is filing our lives with some beautiful philosophical point, where in reality their only repeating what they've already said in another thread or all the threads they answer to..with slight modifications.

The racist posts tend to get started by members of the BNP or EDL. They're just trying to stir up some racial hatred as they think their causes will benefit by people in general being more racist. This doesn't work because the posts allow others to provide links to pictures and articles about EDL/BNP members who have convictions for drug dealing, rape, paedophilia, arson, murder, etc,etc. Members of both the EDL and BNP, including the latter's Barnsley organiser, had links to the Norway mass-murderer, Breivik. Also, the process fails because the general public just isn't attracted to fascism and in any case the BNP and EDL are currently destroying their own organisations through greed, egotism, drunkenness, stupidity, etc. The EDL had 170 members arrested at the cenotaph while supposedly paying their respects to our war dead but were really getting drunk and causing havoc in a nearby pub.

Other posts are put on by others who use one-off user-ids and some of those who join in are just like minded bigots.