Wild camp on Kinder

Hi megalitic

not too concerned about legalities of wild camping just trying to help by stating that it's frowned upon. The information was intended for people who don't know, but the signs asking for people not to camp are there for a reason. It's only like asking people not to let dogs run free, we know that these signs are also ignored.

AO if you get a chance for a short break in Scotland, go and walk the Lairig Ghru path with an overnight camp at the Devils Point, or stay more than one night and climb some of the tops around there. The length of stay could depend on the midges though. Once again megalithic I was only trying to be helpful to someone who I know, and would appreciate the information.

I'm with ya Alligin but walking on Kinder was also a big no no before Benny.

We really should have the right to camp where we want if done sensibly though saying that i have seen the results of irresponsible wild camping myself so take that into account also.

Personally, though a little contradictory to my opinion, i'm glad wild camping is "illegal" in england, i've no doubt the right would be abused by many.

I have no argument with you, seems we're singing from the same sheet but with slightly different views.

I also have a massive affinity with the land, hence my web site.

Edited by megalithic

Beautiful pics there, it looks amazing! You're braver than me though, after a walk all I want is my Sunday roast and to put my feet up in front of the fire with a nice glass of wine! :D

Can i just point out i'm well aware of the laws surrounding wild camping but also feel if it's done responsibly there's no problem (other than in law).

When i do camp i uphold the unwritten rules fastidiously, pitch as late as possible and strike camp at sunrise, also, and most importantly LEAVE NO TRACE YOU WERE EVER THERE, other than a few footprints you'd never know i'd been there to be honest, well i wouldn't want you to would i, you might nick my spot.

Oh, and very importantly, no fires.

To be honest i feel the law on wild camping is no more valid than the laws that used to prevent us roaming and i certainly don't feel like a criminal ignoring the law, well no more a criminal than dear old Benny Rothman was, bless him.

Couldn't agree more Megalithic. While I take Alligins point about the legalities and it being frowned upon, I've spoken to at least two National Park wardens (one from the Peaks and one from the Lakes) independently and they both take a much more pragmatic approach to it than the law strictly speaking allows for. They have both taken the view that as long as the campers are behaving responsible (as outlined by Megalithic) they have no problem with it but take a VERY dim view of people abusing the privilege.

There's always a certain amount of wild camping that goes on that must be known about and tacitly accepted by the National Parks as every Mountain Leader course requires a wild camp at some point and there are dozens of them run around the national parks of England and Wales.

I'd hate to see a major clampdown on wild camping as some of the best times of my life have been spent doing it, but equally there's a strong argument to say that if it was legalised and encouraged then the National Parks, and particularly the Peaks which is surrounded by major cities, could be overrun and a large part of the appeal would be lost. I think the current compromise is perhaps the best that can be hoped for.

Hi all

never thought that a bit of truthful friendly advice which was meant for AO would cause a fuss and even warrant a response.

I have wild camped on Kinder, Bleaklow and many more places in Derbyshire, Wales and Scotland where I took my leadership course. Stephen, I never mentioned legalities only said frowned upon, keep up the walking and camping.

I'm not a camping expert, but common sense says to me that not only is wild camping presumably illegal, but also due to the nature of what a 'wild camper' is doing, possibly it could lead to the emergency services having to be called out if things go wrong. All because someone wants to be different, or prove how tough they are. I bet Derbyshire Rescue have got a few words to say about wild campers, and they'll probably not be nice ones.

Awww come on scoobz, it's nothing to do with proving how tough you are, not for me anyway or the half dozen or so friends i have who wild camp also, it's about solitude and enjoying the scenery "out of hours" or in the case of the original subject here, my Kinder wild camp, it was to get pictures of the cairn for my website, with the time i could set off there was no way i could have done it as a day walk without rushing about the

Kinder plateau which in itself would be a dangerous thing to do, much safer that i took my time and did a well researched camp.

I run 2 megalithic websites, the derbyshire one and a very successful but private members forum covering the Avebury world heritage site, sometimes gathering info and pics necessitates i wild camp.

Yes, it's illegal and i'm happy it is so as not to encourage others to do it irresponsibly.

Personally i've never been caught but i'm sure if i was i'd be allowed to continue when the warden / ranger saw how responsible i was, in fact i often post on a walking forum that i'm about to wild camp an area and i have had private messages from park rangers wishing me luck. !

i really think your missing the point of why people wild camp scoobz.

Alligin, i welcome your comments and have no bad feeling towards you at all, debate on such a contentious subject is bound to draw conflicting opinions which is the whole point of the forum isn't it.

Interesting thread this, please don't close it

Edited by megalithic

Btw scoobz, check out the mountain rescue logs for any area, you'll find there's virtually no rescues caused by wild camping, there's not a single one i've ever heard of in all my walking years, people who do it are generally very well prepared, much more so than your average camper who has a fall back from campsite owners, i for one accept when i'm out there i'm responsible for myself and prepare accordingly, no way would i ever cal for help unless i broke a leg or something which could also easily happen on one of your day walks, couldn't it.

Edited by megalithic

I used to go wild camping when I was a tad younger - can't beat it for leaving the rat race & all your cares & woes behind - fantastic! Couldn't do it now though - unless I had a sherpa to carry my stuff - dodgy back :D

ps - like your website megalithic - I recognise one of the cave piccies for some reason! :thumbsup:

Edited by Hemlock

Thanks Hemlock.

I'll share this little story with you as an example.

New years eve my friend wild camped on Ingleborough, as he was settling down for the night he heard voices calling for help, it was a group of day walkers lost in the darkness and a snow storm causing a white out, they were all split up and couldn't find each other, who put them of the path back down, yup my friend, he actually saved the mountain rescue teams a call out. ! :hihi:

Turning a blind eye to a bit of trespassing is ok in my eyes, I just feel sorry for the rescue people who have to risk their own lives to save people who are reckless in what they do. And by this I don't mean in how they do it, as in how well prepared they are, I just mean in what they do.

Incidentally, as far as I'm concerned there's no danger of the thread being closed as it's just a topic being discussed in a civilised manner. Just because a GL doesn't totally agree with the topic is no reason for it to be closed. Personally I think it's a good thread, and is very enlightening.

As i've said scoobz, wild camping doesn't call for the need to be rescued any more than general walking, much less so to be honest, there's 2 kinds of wild campers, people like myself who over prepare and take more gear than needed to cover every eventuality and groups of kids who do it without thought, often taking crates of beer, a bit of a smoke and all the wrong gear, those are the people who'd need rescuing but to be honest you'll usually find they only ever do it once and hate it.

Personally my wild camping gear has cost me a fortune having to buy bombproof ultralight and ultra reliable gear so as not to cause myself the need to be rescued, i'd never put myself in a situation i couldn't handle either but i always prepare for the worst weather i could encounter etc, my turning back off Kinder the week before i wild camped is testament to this.

The tent i used on my last camp, a laser competition was right on it's limits and that's a £250 tent so this week i'm buying another just to have a little more safety leeway next time, that's another £300 i'm spending to enable myself to do what i do responsibly.

Done right and responsibly it's no more danger than campsite camping, done wrong and the consequences can be disastrous.