Wild camp on Kinder

I'v had a copy of the modern antiquarian a while now Alligin, it's very outdated though and the Derbyshire section is a bit sparse.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Megalithic - I love my tattered copy of Modern Antiquarian, but agree the Derbyshire section is pretty poor. Any recommendations of a similar book for our area? Feel free to PM me rather than go off-topic!! :)

I'v had a copy of the modern antiquarian a while now Alligin, it's very outdated though and the Derbyshire section is a bit sparse.

It is a great reference book though but as you've stated very expensive now.

It's very rare i even take mine out of the cover as i also use the modern antiquarian forum quite a bit and it's much better for up to date info, some very knowledgeable people on there too.

Dunno if your interested in ancient sites but if so check out the dvd "standing with stones", there's tasters of it on you tube and the video makers are very knowledgeable, rupert is a great presenter too, well worth a look.

Geoff.

It's about 3000 year old stone circles!

Seriously though - great book. I keep a copy in my van when I'm camping. It also caused me to take a detour to Rudstone in order to see the UK's largest standing stone - glad I did!

Feargal, there really is nothing at the moment other than Paul and victoria Morgans "rock around the peak" but that's out dated too, much better than the modern antiquarian for finding peaks sites though.

The Idler, i've been to Rudstone a few times, great place innit, stayed at Thorp Hall campsite a couple of hundred yards up the road.

Geoff.

Megalith I like your adherence to the unspoken rules. Wild camping is not allowed in the Peak Park, but if people are responsible and act in the way you describe then a blind eye is turned. We wild camped on Harris last year, right on the beach, well in the dunes. What a treat that was. BUt I have to say I think you are very brave to choose kinder,.

http://www.wapentac.com

Megalith I like your adherence to the unspoken rules. Wild camping is not allowed in the Peak Park, but if people are responsible and act in the way you describe then a blind eye is turned. We wild camped on Harris last year, right on the beach, well in the dunes. What a treat that was. BUt I have to say I think you are very brave to choose kinder,.

http://www.wapentac.com

The sand dunes sounds idyllic. I have never done any wild camping down in Derbyshire, always up in North Yorkshire Moors and Dales. In fact, I haven't done anything resembling wild camping since I left the RAF Reg. I am definitely going to get back into it, if anyone has got any recommendations with a good view of a sunrise then please let me know.

BUt I have to say I think you are very brave to choose kinder,.

Brave. ?

Because of the terrain or the fact the wardens might discover me.?

Brave. ?

Neither. Brave because Bruno's got your gloves.

Brave. ?

I think he was implying cos it's pretty open and exposed up there.

Edited by Agent Orange

Neither. Brave because Bruno's got your gloves.

I lost a glove whilst on that wild camp, it was attached to the loops on my jacket sleeves but the attachment broke, didn't fancy going on without it so had to ditch my pack and retrace my steps through waist high snow to retrieve it, when i found it up by Kinderlow cairn i fell on it and caressed it like it was my long lost love. :D

Ooh love the pictures, I bet you had a great time. There has been so much snow up there where it had drifted. I have a view of Kinder Scout from my window. It really is a stunning part of the world here.

I'm hoping we get some similar weather again soon as i want to experience Bleaklow wild camping.

Good thing about extreme weather you almost have the place to yourself.

Ooh love the pictures, I bet you had a great time. There has been so much snow up there where it had drifted. I have a view of Kinder Scout from my window. It really is a stunning part of the world here.

Blimey Jess, you are out in the sticks aren't you. Did you have any trouble getting to work last month, or do you work from home?