Wild camp on Kinder

Get thi sen up theer whil't sno lasts.

Not sure about wild camping in snow, I was out up in peaks today and it made for an interesting trek. Good job I had a compass cos it was a total white out up there, with no visable features to be seen.

Anyhow, I am inspired to do the whole wild camping shenanigans. Come spring, I shall be heading off with just my rucksack and a few essentials for a long weekend. No tent, just me and my limited but useful survival knowledge. Happy days!!

Great pics. Nothing quite beats a wild camp with the whole hill to yourself!

Great pics. Nothing quite beats a wild camp with the whole hill to yourself!

You're not wrong. I am going to plan some wild camps for spring, to cover the entire weekend. A couple of days walking with a bit of wild campig thrown in also.

Let me know if you guys would be interested :)

Hi AO

just thought I would let you know that wild camping is frowned upon on Kinder Scout and the park rangers could ask you to move on. Now if you want to wild camp try doing a holiday in the Scottish Highlands, where it's o/k to camp anywhere within reason.

Hi AO

just thought I would let you know that wild camping is frowned upon on Kinder Scout and the park rangers could ask you to move on. Now if you want to wild camp try doing a holiday in the Scottish Highlands, where it's o/k to camp anywhere within reason.

Thanks for the information. I have done a bit of reading re: laws and codes of conduct. Indeed, Scotland seems the place for it, and I hope to get up there at some point (finances permitting). If I do a spot down here, then it will be somewhere very discreet away from walkers etc. I one or two good caves to reside in over night, but it would be a case of late arrival and early depart.

Can i just point out i'm well aware of the laws surrounding wild camping but also feel if it's done responsibly there's no problem (other than in law).

When i do camp i uphold the unwritten rules fastidiously, pitch as late as possible and strike camp at sunrise, also, and most importantly LEAVE NO TRACE YOU WERE EVER THERE, other than a few footprints you'd never know i'd been there to be honest, well i wouldn't want you to would i, you might nick my spot.

Oh, and very importantly, no fires.

To be honest i feel the law on wild camping is no more valid than the laws that used to prevent us roaming and i certainly don't feel like a criminal ignoring the law, well no more a criminal than dear old Benny Rothman was, bless him.

Great thread, although I'd probably never do wild camping in my life I'm very interested in the law surrounding it and it's nice to see interesting threads opening up the discussion on here.:)

It's an interesting subject to me. I haven't done wild camping since my last survival training with the RAF. How I miss spending time under the stars whilst cosying up in my improvised a-frame shelter.

Great link megalithic,spent best part of 40 mins reading through it.

Thanks.

Rivelin6, you'll probably find this an interesting read, have a trawl through the sub sections list to the left centre of the page.

http://v-g.me.uk/WildCamp/WildCamp.htm

Great read megalithic, I'm a great supporter of freedom to roam so I agree that wild camping shouldn't be restricted by law. In my youth I was a member of CND and did many mass trespasses so keep up the good work.:)

Hi megalitic

not too concerned about legalities of wild camping just trying to help by stating that it's frowned upon. The information was intended for people who don't know, but the signs asking for people not to camp are there for a reason. It's only like asking people not to let dogs run free, we know that these signs are also ignored.

AO if you get a chance for a short break in Scotland, go and walk the Lairig Ghru path with an overnight camp at the Devils Point, or stay more than one night and climb some of the tops around there. The length of stay could depend on the midges though. Once again megalithic I was only trying to be helpful to someone who I know, and would appreciate the information.