Teaching - The Only Profession To Be Sure Of A Day Off When It Snows

This is how it is.

There are good and bad workers in every industry. The reason that the OP chose teachers as an example was just to get a rise, as this has been proved to be a touchy subject in past threads.

If you are a good and loyal worker, you will get to work whatever the weather. No excuse's.

The difference is, that certain teacher's along with certain other employees in other industries, know that they will be paid regardless.

I think I have given you the gist.

This is how it is.

There are good and bad workers in every industry. The reason that the OP chose teachers as an example was just to get a rise, as this has been proved to be a touchy subject in past threads.

If you are a good and loyal worker, you will get to work whatever the weather. No excuse's.

The difference is, that certain teacher's along with certain other employees in other industries, know that they will be paid regardless.

I think I have given you the gist.

on a thread which is so closely linked to education, could we please pay some respect to Lynne Truss?

on a thread which is so closely linked to education, could we please pay some respect to Lynne Truss?

This thread has nothing to do with education. It is to do with bad employees using any excuse to get out of work.

This thread has nothing to do with education. It is to do with bad employees using any excuse to get out of work.

It is quite closely linked (as I said) to education. It's what teahers are supposed to do: educate children. When they're not having time off due to the snow, extended holidays, early finishing every day, guaranteed pensions, early retirement, guaranteed employment, long breaks etc...

It is quite closely linked (as I said) to education. It's what teahers are supposed to do: educate children. When they're not having time off due to the snow, extended holidays, early finishing every day, guaranteed pensions, early retirement, guaranteed employment, long breaks etc...

Is that really what you said Ron?

NO, he is very focused.

Whichever task he does, he takes it in hand and keeps bashing unitil the job is finished. He certanly does not look for "lucky snow days".

You are in effect implying that teahers use any excuse to not work, and that is not right

Are you still taking about teaching here ?

... It's what teahers are supposed to do: educate children. When they're not having time off due to the snow, extended holidays, early finishing every day, guaranteed pensions, early retirement, guaranteed employment, long breaks etc...

If it's such a good job, why do so many schools have problems filling vacancies? Why do so many teachers retire early? Why do so many newly-qualified teachers leave within 5 years?

I taught in a school for a couple of years. - I quite enjoyed it. - The teaching, that is. It was the rest of the crap which got to me.

(I subsequently taught in a priosn for 4 years ... the students were much better behaved:hihi:)

Where I work, come tuesday there were only 3 of us working out of 35... Today there were still only 12 of us... All the lazy sods were still claiming a wage... None of us are teachers...

He's not a math's teacher then?

4 weeks plus 4 weeks plus 8 weeks plus 3times 1 week = 3 not 19 then?

Anyway, how come so many teachers are so left wing - is it so they can indoctrinate our children or is it the long lazing about holidays they enjoy at the private sector's expense?

'erm.

Christmas - 5+3 working days (christmas day + boxing day = bank holidays)

Easter - 5+3 working days (Good Friday/East Monday = bank holidays) and we run revision sessions during Easter too. This year Easter is only 6 working days.

Feb half-term - 5 working days. Give up time for the Ski trip.

May half-term - 4 working days (May Bank holiday)

Oct hal-term - 5 working days

Summer holidays - 26 working days (6 weeks, - 2 bank bank holidays, - GCSE results day - A-level results day) and most teachers will be in school the last week of the holiday.

That's 56 days off a year, sounds like a lot. But I spend at least half of those days in the holidays marking so that only gives 28 days a year.

Then add on the school trips on weekends, during holidays etc because we no longer can run them during the day because of rarely cover.

It soon it all disappears!

Just one of the many perks of teaching... i mean.. short days, tons of holidays, no work to do at home, no hassle, no stress, long breaks, fantastically good pay.... Marvellous!

A woman I work with has 2 daughters who are teachers, one rang in on Tues morning to see if the school was still open due to the weather before setting off on the journey. Snotty secretary said that of course it was, it would take more than a bit of snow to shut the school. She made it into work, to be told to go home as it was shut.

The other daughter had a prang on her way to work and my work colleague had to go and get her - not because she was injured (thankfully) but because of all of the work she had in her car and her laptop.

Both of these ladies are very dedicated young women, having been through years of university to qualify in the first place (and one went on to do a Masters Degree), so, if this is the case for the 2 ladies I am speaking of then it must be the case for any or at least most other teachers out there.

Teachers are far from lazy, they are more hardworking than many of us - give them a break.

I work in the "death" business (sell gravestones) and did not go into work on Tues.

One of my best mates is a teacher; junior school level, in Leeds. He hates it, despite the longer holidays than many people, because he has to take so much work home. He works every evening until around 9pm, and also usually Saturday mornings, just to keep up with the volume of work needed to be a good teacher. Anyone who says they have it easy is talking out of their hole.