Teaching - The Only Profession To Be Sure Of A Day Off When It Snows

In the 10 years during which I had one or other of my children at Lydgate Junior School I can not remember a single "snow day". Although many children live locally, many others also treck in from further afield due to its popularity. Last year the Y6's were even allowed to play in the snow at playtime!!! Lets face it if they were not at school they would be risking injury out sledging and snowballing.

In keeping open this has enabled working parents to keep hospitals schools and business's etc afloat.

Hats off to the Headteacher and staff.

We've hardly had any snow in the last 10 years - when my kids were at Westways I can't remember the place being shut due to snow.

Today at the school where I work we ran out of food for school dinners as the delivery drivers cant get here until Tuesday due to the weather, no doubt Monday parents will be ranting and raving about the schools failing to provide for their children, whilst at the same time saying we close too quick.

QUOTE]

Who ate all the pies, who ate all the pies, its the teachers, its the teachers, they ate all the pies.

I have lost count of the number of different jobs I've done in my life and teaching was by far the hardest and I would never go back to it for all the tea in china.

So, so, so bored with all the teacher bashing.

Today at the school where I work we ran out of food for school dinners as the delivery drivers cant get here until Tuesday due to the weather, no doubt Monday parents will be ranting and raving about the schools failing to provide for their children, whilst at the same time saying we close too quick.

I dealt with one incident where a pupil was hit in the eye with a snowball with a small stone in it causing a serious injury, we will wait for the compensation claim on this one as again we will deemed deemed neglegent of 'Locus Parentis' by the parent who is also moaning we close too quickly during the snow.

Oh I cant be rsed with this anymore.....teachers 'teach' they are NOT child minders, the sooner parents realise school is not a creche the better.

That's the wrong attitude. I hope you do not convey this attitude to your pupils dick.

My other half is a teacher and its not all holidays, with planning, marking and meetings its a very hectic job.

If he is lucky he only manages to have it off 3 weeks out of the year.

I can assure you, for the rest of the time his mind is firmly on the job in hand

My other half is a teacher and its not all holidays, with planning, marking and meetings its a very hectic job.

If he is lucky he only manages to have it off 3 weeks out of the year.I can assure you, for the rest of the time his mind is firmly on the job in hand

That's what he tells you! Has he told you about his lucky "snow days"?

That's what he tells you! Has he told you about his lucky "snow days"?

NO, he is very focused.

Whichever task he does, he takes it in hand and keeps bashing unitil the job is finished. He certanly does not look for "lucky snow days".

You are in effect implying that teahers use any excuse to not work, and that is not right

I'm surprised no threads have been started by teachers, entitled 'School - it's not free childcare for parents'.

But I guess most teachers will have better things to do with their time, like figure out how they're going to educate your child for you.

If it's only teachers that had difficulty getting into work, then why are they reporting on the news that this cold snap has been costing the economy around 20 million pounds a day?

Sorry, it's not multiple choice :lol:

NO, he is very focused.

Whichever task he does, he takes it in hand and keeps bashing unitil the job is finished. He certanly does not look for "lucky snow days".

You are in effect implying that teahers use any excuse to not work, and that is not right

If teachers do use any excuse not to work, then I agree with you, It's not right!

We've hardly had any snow in the last 10 years - when my kids were at Westways I can't remember the place being shut due to snow.

Well actually there are a couple of days every year that many schools in Sheffield shut for snow.

I'm surprised no threads have been started by teachers, entitled 'School - it's not free childcare for parents'.

But I guess most teachers will have better things to do with their time, like figure out how they're going to educate your child for you.

If it's only teachers that had difficulty getting into work, then why are they reporting on the news that this cold snap has been costing the economy around 20 million pounds a day?

Because of the sick pay to teachers that can't be bothered to get into work unlike any other industry perhaps?

No its not free childcare, its education that is payed for by our taxes, a side effect of which is that parents can do valuble jobs as well as being homemakers.

If he is lucky he only manages to have it off 3 weeks out of the year.

I can assure you, for the rest of the time his mind is firmly on the job in hand

He's not a math's teacher then?

4 weeks plus 4 weeks plus 8 weeks plus 3times 1 week = 3 not 19 then?

Anyway, how come so many teachers are so left wing - is it so they can indoctrinate our children or is it the long lazing about holidays they enjoy at the private sector's expense?