Teaching - The Only Profession To Be Sure Of A Day Off When It Snows

Schools close in snow due to the risk of children being injured. People like the OP are usually the first to complain if that happens. A fully paid up member of the 'damn them if they do, damn them if they don't' brigade!

A lot of schools now have pupils travelling far and wide, even local primaries. There comes a point when even though teachers are in, running a normal school day is just not possible because of the number of pupils who cannot get in because of unsafe conditions.

Schools like Silverdale have a large number of students living closeby so stay open. Notre Dame on the other hand shut as they have buses (which were not running) that bring in pupils from the other side of the city.

I work in a school that sent students home one day but was open for all the others. All the teachers managed to get in though I bet less than a third of the pupils did :lol:

I don't actually think that the staff getting in is much of a problem in a large school as they will have the capacity to cover; it's the fact the children no longer tend to live close and depend on public transport to get there and back. Some students walked for over 3 hours to get home in the snow on Tuesday, often poorly dressed for the weather. I'm guessing the school has no choice but to close early if they know the public transport has stopped so there is still daylight to walk in. I've not yet had a 'snow day' off work, though I have been sent home early. On late starts for students I am still expected to get in for my normal time and have always made it even when I worked over 16 miles away. I have friends that work in schools that have closed this week and they have not had to go in so not all schools are as dedicated.

School caretakers have earnt their money this week gritting and shovelling to clear the snow that quickly turns to ice when 1000+ people are walking on it all day. They have done a brilliant job :) and are the hidden gems that keep schools open in snowy weather :clap: there does not appear to be any provision from the councils to send staff to grit school grounds.

Hi all

Enough! Stop sitting at home watching Jeremy Kyle and get your very well paid backside off to work. Its not like you dont get enough days off a year as it is!

Cheers

If teaching is such a cushy job, as implied by your comments above, then why not think of a career move - go and train to be a teacher so you can have guaranteed snow days, short working hours, short working weeks, weekends off, long holidays and enough time to really get into Jeremy Kyle...

And by the way - I am NOT a teacher, but I am sure that any teachers out there reading this will know exactly what I am getting at.

Oh, and finally, "very well paid"?! I get paid more than a lot of teachers, for doing a lot less with a hell of a lot less stress involved as well!

Can i just let you know this, and no im not a teacher but have the info from my parents who are and work in the school.

Westfield school (sports college) stayed open tuesday until 1.30pm and has not closed all week.

BY tuesday lunch approx 500 pupils accross all years had gone home with parents as they felt unsafe to keep pupils in school. Fair enough thier choice. School was closed at 1.30 due to the school buses not being able to pick the children up and to give them enough time to walk home in the light. (amongst other safety concerns)

Wednesday around 90% of teachers made it and some classes where going to be joined together to cover if necessary. Lesson 1 wed morning 6 pupils out of 30 in class teacher present. Lesson 2, 14 pupils in class teacher present lesson 3 same, lesson 4 after lunch down to 5 pupils some had chose to go home at lunch!!! Thurs approx 320+ pupils out of 1100 missing all teachers present.

The reality of it is school open or not some parents choose not to send thier children, It is not always down to the teachers.

In the 10 years during which I had one or other of my children at Lydgate Junior School I can not remember a single "snow day". Although many children live locally, many others also treck in from further afield due to its popularity. Last year the Y6's were even allowed to play in the snow at playtime!!! Lets face it if they were not at school they would be risking injury out sledging and snowballing.

In keeping open this has enabled working parents to keep hospitals schools and business's etc afloat.

Hats off to the Headteacher and staff.

If teaching is such a cushy job, as implied by your comments above, then why not think of a career move - go and train to be a teacher so you can have guaranteed snow days, short working hours, short working weeks, weekends off, long holidays and enough time to really get into Jeremy Kyle...

And by the way - I am NOT a teacher, but I am sure that any teachers out there reading this will know exactly what I am getting at.

Oh, and finally, "very well paid"?! I get paid more than a lot of teachers, for doing a lot less with a hell of a lot less stress involved as well!

Correctamundo

I'm stumped as to why all Sheffield College sites were closed on Wednesday, the day of my evening class at Norton College?

All the buses were running on Wednesday, and it's not as if there's parental issues, as most people are 16+...

Teachers will always have my respect. One of the hardest jobs going. All the people having a go probably wouldn't last a day at it.

Pathetic rubbish. The only difference with anyone else is that it is noticed when teachers are off because it can (very unfortunately) cause problems for working parents.

That does not for one second mean that they try less hard than anyone else to get to work - I was teaching at Hunters Bar today and every staff member was in, the school had been open all week. In other localities this is clearly less practical.

The OP is needlessly provocative. If you truly think teachers have it so easy, go into the job -simple.

In the 10 years during which I had one or other of my children at Lydgate Junior School I can not remember a single "snow day". Although many children live locally, many others also treck in from further afield due to its popularity. Last year the Y6's were even allowed to play in the snow at playtime!!! Lets face it if they were not at school they would be risking injury out sledging and snowballing.

In keeping open this has enabled working parents to keep hospitals schools and business's etc afloat.

Hats off to the Headteacher and staff.

When some of my children were younger, they were at St Maries on Fullwood Rd, well within the "snow zone". I also can not remember a single "snow day".

I have had the same experience's hodgepodge, and I am of the same opinion. :thumbsup:

Today at the school where I work we ran out of food for school dinners as the delivery drivers cant get here until Tuesday due to the weather, no doubt Monday parents will be ranting and raving about the schools failing to provide for their children, whilst at the same time saying we close too quick.

I dealt with one incident where a pupil was hit in the eye with a snowball with a small stone in it causing a serious injury, we will wait for the compensation claim on this one as again we will deemed deemed neglegent of 'Locus Parentis' by the parent who is also moaning we close too quickly during the snow.

Oh I cant be rsed with this anymore.....teachers 'teach' they are NOT child minders, the sooner parents realise school is not a creche the better.

Today at the school where I work we ran out of food for school dinners as the delivery drivers cant get here until Tuesday due to the weather, no doubt Monday parents will be ranting and raving about the schools failing to provide for their children, whilst at the same time saying we close too quick.

I dealt with one incident where a pupil was hit in the eye with a snowball with a small stone in it causing a serious injury, we will wait for the compensation claim on this one as again we will deemed deemed neglegent of 'Locus Parentis' by the parent who is also moaning we close too quickly during the snow.

Oh I cant be rsed with this anymore.....teachers 'teach' they are NOT child minders, the sooner parents realise school is not a creche the better.

Well said, I hope the kid with the injury is ok though!!