Electronic books & the future.

I doubt it would appeal to the American audience, Mr C. :(

I doubt it would appeal to the American audience, Mr C. :(

Why? After all, the only difference between a full length novel and short story is the size.

I think a big use for these will be to read a daily newspaper on - I'd happily subscribe to be able to have a copy of the day's paper already downloaded onto my e-reader when I get up. As most newspapers are crapping themselves over how they're going to continue to pay for themselves with dropping advertising revenues and more people reading for free over the internet I think this will be a big driver.

Have a look at what the NY Times have done with their Air application to see the sort of thing I'm on about: http://timesreader.nytimes.com/timesreader/index.html

I take it that’s a no then. It was just a thought for the group.

if Apple ever launch their version the whole lot could be blown out of the water…

And here it is…

Apple unveils the Ipad

Ipad in pictures

Apple's Ipad to kickstart the tablet market. - a good demo

What Stephen Fry thinks of the Ipad.

"The firm has also done a deal with publishers including Penguin, Macmillan and Harper Collins to allow e-books to be downloaded directly to the device through a new iBook Store."

It looks to be a nice piece of kit, what does everybody else think?

Edited by Mantaspook

I take it that’s a no then. It was just a thought for the group.

No I didn't mean it that way. Its just that we are cutting down on taking new authors in order to concentrate on promoting the (much) bigger sites. :)

It looks to be a nice piece of kit, what does everybody else think?

It really is a nice piece of kit, full marks to Apple on this one. But to be fair it’s not an e-reader,- although it can be used as one - it’s a computer and so we shouldn’t put it in the same category as Sony, Kindle or whatever.

---------------------

Having said that the price is not far off the mark. Staring at $499, just over 300 quid, it’s worth thinking about.

Edited by coyleys

I dont think e books are the future i like my paper and real books. I have read a couple of books on the computer or the ipod and its just not as good

I'm afraid I'm with Laura (above)

A book is, for me, a physical thing. Not just the words inside, but the paper, the smell, the texture and the feel of the tome itself. No electronic gadget will feel the same as flicking through real pages of paper, the tactile connection you have with a book.

Or am I a grumpy old fart?

I'm afraid I'm with Laura (above)

A book is, for me, a physical thing. Not just the words inside, but the paper, the smell, the texture and the feel of the tome itself. No electronic gadget will feel the same as flicking through real pages of paper, the tactile connection you have with a book.

Or am I a grumpy old fart?

No you're not, I'm totally with you on the feel and smell etc. For me a real paper book is much more relaxing than reading something electronically, but then a book has never made me want to smash it to pieces and rip it's insides out before :hihi:... (no, I don't have rage issues).

Anyway, doesn't looking at a screen for long periods of time give you a headache?