Clive Betts Gritting Comments on Radio Sheffield

No, not instead of, but as well as.

The areas he mentions are miles away from civilization. The people knew that when they moved there, and would know it could be a problem in extreme weather, surely.

With reference to "Darth Vader" & his comments about Clive Betts....I live at Sothall and not miles away from civilisation, Crystal Peaks shopping centre is 2 miles away, and when I bought my house I did not expect to be snowed in for over a week due to Sheffield City Council mis-management and incompetance!

I pay £1400 a year in Council Tax and regardless of where I live I also expect a level of service.

We have 1 Grit/Salt Bin which is 3/4's of a mile away from my house and has been empty for 3 weeks, even though I & other residents have telephoned requesting it be refilled, I have requested another grit bin for the area, but this will not be present until Oct 2010, thats if they allow us another 1, as it is somewhat of a lottery. Greystones, has 33 Grit bins according to the Councils web site, and Fulwood, Crosspool have dozens.

Clive Betts maybe touting for votes but he's absolutely correct with the South East of Sheffield being neglected. The 1 nad only bus route has not been gritted and it is like sheet glass. If the council reduce my council tax for the next year then they can leave us....but whilst ever I am paying the same if not more than North Sheffield areas I want a service!!!!

The hills might have something to do with why Southall has fewer grit bins than Fulwood and Crosspool. ;)

Not even Clive Betts believes that the council officers sit there in meetings saying "tell you what lads, let's have more gritting in the posh bits of town". Neither do you.

First Caborn, now Betts, quick to criticise anything about the Lib Dem Council, especially in difficult times like this hazardous weather.

Just goes to show what a bunch a childish whingers the Labour party in the city are.

Maybe Betts is looking at roads near the Hallamshire Hospital. I guess he chose not to look at the roads near the Northen General.

Let me take this opportunity to praise the staff at the NGH ( the gardeners I think) for keeping their internal roads clear and ice free.

Greystones, has 33 Grit bins according to the Councils web site, and Fulwood, Crosspool have dozens.

If the council reduce my council tax for the next year then they can leave us....but whilst ever I am paying the same if not more than North Sheffield areas I want a service!!!!

Many many reasons why there are more grit bins in those areas - more hills, more dense population, close to Hallamshire Hospital, higher number of schools particularly secondary schools, more routes needed to keep bus network active.

Stop whinging - if you think you can do a better job then I suggest that next time it snows like this you should phone up the Council and offer yourself as a project manager. We're now desecending into silly talk - it's like when people see one bad programme on BBC1 and start whinging 'the license fees is a rip off, I'm not paying it etc'.

yes they are we pay more water rates for a semi here than other areas i can assure you

DietDuck...Your water rates have nothing to do with the local authority and their 'alleged' decision to grit the side roads in Liberal stongholds. gritting is paid for out of Council tax!

You started with the word Clive Betts in your post so I knew that moron would be moaning about something.

So the west side of Sheffield get a better gritting than the East/South East , well of course it does ! its nearist to the Peak District and got the snow and ice more :D

The level of snow and ice is irrelevant if the local authority has a fair policy that ensures all major roads in the city are gritted regardless of the area - the issue that Clive Betts brought up was that side roads in the west of the city were being gritted whilst those council tax payers that don't own 4X4's were unable to walk safely to a bus stop or to their local shops.

He wasn't.

Does anyone want to have a go at the local residents who actually made the accusation, instead of the MP who merely reported it?

Well said!!

Is he still a an MP DAMN. I saw him in John lewis buyin £60 carpet ?????????????????????????????????????????

I'd guess the truth is that the 2 mile private road leading to Clive Bett's huge converted £1.2m farmhouse at Ridgeway, (in Attercliffe constituency naturally) hasn't been gritted because the lorry can't get past the security gates so he's feeling ignored and we know politicians don't like that

Very Silly:loopy:

Has Clive actually asked for the gritter at Ranmoor Inn more regularly or expressed a desire to Ranmoor in the gritter more regularly ?

Eh!:loopy::loopy:

Sort of cockney Rhyming slang........... Gustav the character in Willy Wonka got stuck up the chocolate chute......... didnt clive apply for that part when he read the script ?

With the vibe yet ?

Edited by logiebaird