Just for a bit of fun: suggest a new name for Fitzalan Square

Apologies to Sheff2006 and SheShe.....My original title for this post was ''Just for a bit of fun ''.......I didn't realise that it was too short and the ''suggest a new name for Fitzalan Square '' has been added automatically:suspect:

Apologies accepted. I was meaning that there is nothing wrong with the current name of Fitzalan Square.

Sh2006.

lets call it.....im still standing despite dirty germans trying to smash me to pieces square......at least motor bike shops done one....:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Not the Penny Black?!

Is it not?!!!

but the bingo hall pays out (by law) the same amount it takes in

How do they make any money?

They don't make money, they take money.

Originally Posted by HeadingNorth

but the bingo hall pays out (by law) the same amount it takes in

They pay back out, plus winnings, to the winners. There are far more lossers per game than there are winners. The numbers are stacked in favour of the bingo hall.

I'd rename it 'Pigeon Street' :D

I don't get to town very often these days but whilst I was coming through Fitzalan Square the other week I noticed that a lot of the shops there has closed and all these betting shops have taken their places......Bet Fred, Coral, Ladbrokes, William Hill and a slot machine palace.....not to mention the Bingo Hall on the corner:roll:

There's even a loans comany strategically placed bang in the middle of two of them....talk about temptation ....lol.

Anyhow, just for a bit of fun on this cold, cold night, let's hear some suggestions for a new name for the square ...(unofficially of course :roll: ):|

I think that Loan shop has long been closed.

The loan shop closed several months back, but may still have signage.

The OP forgot Cooplands - it's always a gamble as to exactly which grumpy-doesn't-want-to-be-there assistant will serve you :D

(only kidding)

The Square of Gloom. It never seems to get any sun, always seems dark, dirty and grim and the shops are nearly all awful and of no use to me.

Since the post ofice closed I think I have only spent about 85p in Fitz Sq. This was spent on a meat pasty from Cooplands a year ago which was too hot to eat and fell apart oozing filling everywhere when I took a bite. So I binned it. This sums up the area for me - horrible and no use to me whatsoever.

It's very sad because as people have said it has some great buildings. The old post office and the great big void next door have great potential. I suppose it's waiting for the whole markets area to be transformed. So that's at least another decade to wait then.

Edited by Bilge

It gets a lot of sun in the summer and is a popular lunch spot. If only it hadn't been absurdly and unnecessarily laid out as an island.

It gets a lot of sun in the summer and is a popular lunch spot. If only it hadn't been absurdly and unnecessarily laid out as an island.

I suppose I never go in the sunny middle bit, I always walk round the outsides.