Just for a bit of fun: suggest a new name for Fitzalan Square

Guest makapaka

Its sad down there now. When I was a kid it wasn't exactly Harvey Nics but there was proper shops down there and I remember fitzalan sq being somewhere that felt like proper sheffield. The post office, C&A, BHS, Dunnes, the markets, Wimpey, Hole in the Road.

And how long is the long run by your reckoning?!

Because I am well down on returns!

Always will be.

And how long is the long run by your reckoning?!

Because I am well down on returns!

Some win, some lose, but the bingo hall pays out (by law) the same amount it takes in, on the books; so the public as a whole does not lose. If everyone played an infinite number of games, everyone would come out even. (Of course, you die long before you can prove that!)

Its sad down there now. When I was a kid it wasn't exactly Harvey Nics but there was proper shops down there and I remember fitzalan sq being somewhere that felt like proper sheffield. The post office, C&A, BHS, Dunnes, the markets, Wimpey, Hole in the Road.

The little kiosk that sold all the mod/punk/ska badges and patches always springs to to mind for me. Not forgetting the Classic cinema and Wigfalls.

The little kiosk that sold all the mod/punk/ska badges and patches always springs to to mind for me. Not forgetting the Classic cinema and Wigfalls.

Happy days. And the buildings are so cool. should be preserved.

Happy days. And the buildings are so cool. should be preserved.

Is the White building listed?

Is the White building listed?

No such luck, a friend of mine did a redev' on it 5 years ago, made a balls up internally in my opinion.

No such luck, a friend of mine did a redev' on it 5 years ago, made a balls up internally in my opinion.

Such a pity as this building externally, has such a story to tell. Was the internal work all rip out and replace with plasterboard and magnolia paint?

Such a pity as this building externally, has such a story to tell. Was the internal work all rip out and replace with plasterboard and magnolia paint?

Nail on the head!

There are now twelve listed buildings in Sheffield that are up for sympathetic refurb. Bishops House is on the list for sympathetic renewal, but no one will touch it because of constant vandalism. There is a famous pub very close to Fitzalan Square that won't stand up for much longer due to surrounding development disturbance, and a 300 year old house in Dore that is going the same way. It's a shame that the council is putting these buildings out to tender in stead of taking the same care that other councils have taken over their heritage.

Ive always liked the name Fitzalan Square and think it doesnt need changing, especially as it features in the tram route announcements.

Sh2006.

Ive always liked the name Fitzalan Square and think it doesnt need changing, especially as it features in the tram route announcements.

Sh2006.

:roll: Someone didn't read the original post very well.

Why don't we call it Fitzalan Square? and boycot these duff establishments?

You could help by avoiding your temptation!

Sounds like fun! :)

I managed to avoid setting foot inside any betting shops for almost 40 years until my hubby became too poorly to walk on to the bookies for his little Saturday morning flutter . I would take a deep breath , march up to the counter with betting slip in one hand and concise instructions as to which bet was to be placed in the other, then scurry out as fast as my little legs would take me . I absolutely hated it if he ever had any winners because it meant I had to endure the task alll over again .

I remember once catching the bus into town and asking for a ticket to Trafalgar Square.....to which the conductor looked at me with his best deadpan expression and said '' we don't go that far love, just to the City centre'' , so I got up to get off the bus thinking I'd caught the wrong bus , much to the amusement of everyone on the bus . :hihi: