Little Misters?

Yes Lol was my Grandad he was married to Edna, he will have always been in the pub :-)

Jenny and Organgrinder. How did you know them, did you live in the area?

Edited by NixSt

I met them whilst working as an agent for the Prudential. I never heard them swear or use bad langiuage although they worked hard in that workshop which was absolutely filthy and so were they when hard at work. Although they did bicker a lot!

Their fabulous home near St Silas Church was immaculate and furnished with beautiful antiques, as I remember and they were always immaculately turned out when not at work. They had some interesting tales to tell. I lost touch with them when I changed jobs. I'm sorry to hear that they've both passed on, although it's inevitable for us all, it's always a shock to hear.

Hi Rubydazzler, I remember an insurance man coming round to their house. I wonder if it was you?? I was born in 1978 and was at my nan's a lot. What year(s) did you visit them?

It was a lovely home they had, its sad when I have to drive past it now. AND your right they never did swear!

I dont know if St Silas is still open now? My nan started to do the flowers in her later years. I remember her draggin me to the odd Sunday service.

I'm not a man, NixSt. I was what used to be called 'a lady agent' hehehe. I mostly used to nip into Beehive Works and only ever went to the house when there was paperwork to complete. Everything in the shop was covered in fine black buffing powder and any paperwork ended up looking like a crime scene covered in fingerprints!

I do vaguely remember seeing a child/children at the house, but it's a long time ago. I worked the Broomhall agency from 1982 to 1987, then moved on to Crookes. Were you a little girl with wavy brown hair?

Yes I had long wavy hair! Gosh it seems like many moons ago! Ill ask My Mum she may remember you.

Stan Shaw is still working at Kelham Island Museum making knives.

Stan Shaw is still working at Kelham Island Museum making knives.
Is he really? He used to have a workshop on Brocco Street, iirc. Another of my jobs was the book rep for Hallamshire Press and we printed Stan's book. He always had a waiting list for his pocket knives longer than his arm. He once told me that he'd never be able to retire because he'd be working on orders till Doomsday! :D Top bloke!

What a crying shame it is that the Goverment would never fund master craftsmen like Mr Shaw to take apprentices on to teach them what is a dying art.

Is he really? He used to have a workshop on Brocco Street, iirc. Another of my jobs was the book rep for Hallamshire Press and we printed Stan's book. He always had a waiting list for his pocket knives longer than his arm. He once told me that he'd never be able to retire because he'd be working on orders till Doomsday! :D Top bloke!

What a crying shame it is that the Goverment would never fund master craftsmen like Mr Shaw to take apprentices on to teach them what is a dying art.

Hi Ruby, he moved to Kelham Island about a year ago and still has a waiting list !

Yes Lol was my Grandad he was married to Edna, he will have always been in the pub :-)

Jenny and Organgrinder. How did you know them, did you live in the area?

I used to live on the Broomhall flats and was in the Domino almost every night in those days - I didn't know them really well but always passed time of day and sometimes had a little chat when I saw them - very nice people and typical of the hard working and honest people in the trade in those days.

Spent most of my life in the cutlery trade too and occasionally talked about that with them. I know that Edna's photo appeared in many books/videos which looked at the dying cutlery trade so she became a Sheffield icon really.

I worked on Hill Street at a company called Cowlishaws in the early/mid seventies. The buildings were where the little mesters worked and we made pen and pocket knives. It was a very ancient way of working and the owner was straight out of Charles Dickens in that he thought he paid your wages so you had to say yes sir, no sir three bags full. I was brought up in an enlightened environment and am very headstrong so although my workmates were the tops I didn't stay there long:roll:

I worked on Hill Street at a company called Cowlishaws in the early/mid seventies. The buildings were where the little mesters worked and we made pen and pocket knives. It was a very ancient way of working and the owner was straight out of Charles Dickens in that he thought he paid your wages so you had to say yes sir, no sir three bags full. I was brought up in an enlightened environment and am very headstrong so although my workmates were the tops I didn't stay there long:roll:

My grandmother worked at a cutlery manufacturer on Hill Street and, I can't recall the name of them even though I used to go down to meet her sometimes. She was a "dollier" at this company and, I agree with your views about owners in those days being hard.

My grandfather worked for Dickensen's on Guernsey Road, he was a "dry stone grinder" from being 13 years old and when he reached retirement age of 65 he didn't even get a handshake but, they were eager for him to continue working which he did until he was 73 when he sadly died so he never really had a retirement to enjoy. How times for workers have changed.

Duffems

Hi Ruby, he moved to Kelham Island about a year ago and still has a waiting list !

He does indeed; I had a little chat with him during the Christmas market at Kelham Island. It was absolutely wonderful to watch a master craftsman at work.