Average British Woman Spends £31,000 on Shoes

£31,000?? Madness.

I buy maybe 2 - 3 pairs of footwear per year and I rarely pay more than £30 for each although occasionally up to £80.

I see footwear as disposable and I don't need a label to make it function better.

I have better places for my £31,000 to go and it looks like I'm doing well.

How long has Imelda Marcos been British?

Or was the survey taken in Sloane Square?

i like shoes :D i have a beautiful collection....all of them the most uncomforatble you can imagine but so pretty.

my favourite pair were some babycham cherry pumps, but they are savagely wrecked and break my heart at their lack of sole

Easily done. I typically LOVE shoes and own stupid amounts in all diferent colours. And bags to a lesser degree.

totally agree with this post, A girl has to have matching shoes with bag ~S~

Originally posted by tulip

Attacked yet again for no reason!

I thought I made it quite clear my comment wasn't intended to be personal. :confused:

The boots as far as I know were not made in a US sweatshop by badly paid illegal immigrants either because they come from a large, famous US factory that make boots for ranchers.

It might be worth finding out. The factory gate price would seem to be about $20 which is suspiciously cheap for a pair of hand made leather boots.

Wasn't there a scandal recently about WallMart employing 'badly paid illegal immigrants' ;)

My two pairs of shoes and two pairs of sandals were made in either Austria or Italy, but very little of my meagre wardrobe has a country of origin on the label.

Originally posted by Greybeard

I thought I made it quite clear my comment wasn't intended to be personal. :confused:

It might be worth finding out. The factory gate price would seem to be about $20 which is suspiciously cheap for a pair of hand made leather boots.

Wasn't there a scandal recently about WallMart employing 'badly paid illegal immigrants' ;)

My two pairs of shoes and two pairs of sandals were made in either Austria or Italy, but very little of my meagre wardrobe has a country of origin on the label.

It sounded a bit personal to me! But sorry to be ratty if it wasn't intended to be an insult:)

Well, I live in a little town called Emmett. It is a farming community. Cowboy boots are very popular, they are a name brand you may have heard of 'Durango'.

Walmart has been accused of employing illegal immigrants but since these people are employed by an agency that is used by Walmart, the store has not been held responsible. Itinerant workers are not as badly treated as some people are led to believe but that would be straying way too far from the topic!

If you shop in Asda, you are shopping in Walmart. Prices are kept cheap by using workers in third world countries to produce cheap goods.

Don't be suspicious of my boots. They were $30. If they charge £150 for them in England then the shops are totally ripping people off! :suspect:

not a problem i feel

women have no problem celebrating their feet.

my husband has more shoes than me though?

Can't imagine that i could ever spend that much on shoes!! i live in trainers most of the time anyway which only cost bout £60 a pair, and hardly ever buy shoes! most expensive shoes (well boots) ive ever bought were my 2 pairs of new rocks, which i think were a little over £100 each.. not like im gonna need any more pairs of those though!

also... i absolutely hate shoe shopping for some reason!

Originally posted by SatanInHeels

Can't imagine that i could ever spend that much on shoes!! i live in trainers most of the time anyway which only cost bout £60 a pair, and hardly ever buy shoes! most expensive shoes (well boots) ive ever bought were my 2 pairs of new rocks, which i think were a little over £100 each.. not like im gonna need any more pairs of those though!

also... i absolutely hate shoe shopping for some reason!

With a user name of SatanInHeel you should love shoes!

Seriously though, £31,000 in a life time works out to about £440 a year based on you buying shoes for 70 years (I think, not sure if I calculated it right?) That sounds excessive to me!:o

Originally posted by Greybeard

Hand-stitched where tulip ? Some far-eastern sweat shop where the poor blighters have to work 12 hours a day seven days a week just to keep their kids from starving ?

Apologies if that does make you feel just a little bit gulty, it's not meant to be personal but is something we all ought to think about. :(

Attacked yet again for no reason! I bought my boots in a US shop, inside the boots in bold letters it says 'Made in the USA' I suppose it could be a lie and they were actually made in a third world country by badly payed overworked people. I hope you know where all your shoes, clothes and food comes from? I am not a conciousless bimbo who doesn't give a damn about exploitation. The boots as far as I know were not made in a US sweatshop by badly paid illegal immigrants either because they come from a large, famous US factory that make boots for ranchers.

Greybeard isn't attacking you tulip, just pointing out that this does happen.

Many American companies have terrible human rights records. WalMart (the biggest retail chain in the world) has a very poor human rights record which is well-documented on the internet (try googling for Walmart and Human Rights).

Incidentally, they now own Asda. Do I buy clothes from there? Yes, sometimes.

Getting back to shoes, I own lots and lots; they are my favourite thing to buy! :clap:

EDIT: Just seen the WalMart thing has already been done - doh!

With a user name of SatanInHeel you should love shoes!

just the one pair of heels is quite sufficient