Do companies have a legal responsibility for staff in bad weather

We was told at 9.30 to start bring the buses in, simple reason is due to health an Safety, most people in this city would put a claim in against a bus company if a bus they were on crashed, with the high chance of that happenin its safer to bring them 'Home'.

Hopefully we haven’t quite got that bad yet buy no doubt some people would be off to the Doctor with “whiplash” :suspect:

Getting back to the original question employers have a duty of care towards their employees. In practical terms they have to look after them and ensure that they come to no harm whilst in their care. This can extend to making sure that they get home safely if by being at work the journey home becomes dangerous. Therefore by insisting that employees stay in the office they become liable for ensuring that they get home okay.

I work for the emergency services. No chance of 'gettin off early' for me friends

Just to say nice one for the good job you are no doubt doing. I hope there aren't too many stupid, able-bodied tax-paying adults making your job difficult and taking away care for those that really need it.

"5 miles = approx 1hr walk (OK more like 1.5hrs in this weather)

Why on Earth do you need to set off at 1pm "to get home before dark"?

12mins per mile in snow you must be a well seasoned long distance walker.

I think 2.5 to 3 is a more reasonable estimate.

For those who have had to walk it would be interesting to know how far and how long.

In summertime I occasionally walk a little less than seven miles to work and thats just short of a couple of hours (get a lift home though )

Actually you're right - I realised I'd made a mistake with my numbers earlier but was too ashamed to admit it! :blush::hihi:

I thought if I just laid low no one would notice :suspect:

It took OH an hour to walk in today (all steeply uphill), and for some reason I was sure it was 5miles, but I checked on Google and it's only 3miles! :o:blush:

I am very sorry and take it back OP - 5 miles is a fair old walk after all!

OH's office all went home at 4pm - but like others have said, that's more of a goodwill gesture than a legal responsibility.

I won't be leaving for another hour but I've got me torch 'n' me wellies so I'll be fine! :D

Getting back to the original question employers have a duty of care towards their employees. In practical terms they have to look after them and ensure that they come to no harm whilst in their care. This can extend to making sure that they get home safely if by being at work the journey home becomes dangerous. Therefore by insisting that employees stay in the office they become liable for ensuring that they get home okay.

The vast majority of employees can "get home okay" by walking. They might not like it, but that's an irrelevance.

Ive never ever ever heard that before, duty of care to unsure they are safe AT WORK, not whilst they are waiting for the bus home, or they get home.

Ive never had to ring my boss to tell him i got home safe and not to work about me, i think people look into this to much, they have to make sure your work enviroment is safe for you, and like i said before the health and Safety executive website lists all the minumim temperates etc.

The vast majority of employees can "get home okay" by walking. They might not like it, but that's an irrelevance.

Although I disagree with you on the other thread about payment, I have to agree 100% here. I don't drive myself and I find others reliance on their cars utterly amusing and completely pathetic. Some people I guess love being in their cotton-wool wrapped lives and panic as soon as they're put in any slightly uncomfortable situation like 'being cold'

Hopefully we haven’t quite got that bad yet buy no doubt some people would be off to the Doctor with “whiplash” :suspect:

I heard a story about an accident on a bus. Bus ran into a sign. Nobody said or did anything (apart from the driver reporting it).

There were 3 claims for whiplash injuries.

It was a CCTV bus, all 3 people didn't even appear to notice the small impact, but all 3 claims came through the same solicitors.

Anyway, they all backed down after being show the video of them not reacting or even noticing the impact. But without that video....

Is this even remotely true? Don't huge numbers of people commute a good distance to work these days?

In my entire working life I've only worked within walking distance for just over a year, and even then we're talking 2 to 3 miles, I never did walk, I cycled, but not in the snow.

The remaining 9 years have seen me, even when based in an office, at least 10 miles and often 15 or the current 35 miles from home, and the majority of people that I work with have similar commutes, the closest are often a few miles, with the current furthest being about 100.

Ive never ever ever heard that before, duty of care to unsure they are safe AT WORK, not whilst they are waiting for the bus home, or they get home.

Ive never had to ring my boss to tell him i got home safe and not to work about me, i think people look into this to much, they have to make sure your work enviroment is safe for you, and like i said before the health and Safety executive website lists all the minumim temperates etc.

There are definitely requirements outside that. Bar staff, if having to work late so they miss their transport are legally required to be offered some method of getting home other than walking. A taxi or a lift being the normal options. I don't know if that really applies in the snow though.

i work in well below minumim temperatures. i wear thermals 2 t shirts long sleeved 2 fleeces body warmer and a hat. gaffer dosnt care one jot. cant do anything about it no one to back us up. got to work this morning but left early due to bad weather we wont be getting paid. i have to use car to take husband who has walking difficulties.

Is this even remotely true? Don't huge numbers of people commute a good distance to work these days?

In my entire working life I've only worked within walking distance for just over a year, and even then we're talking 2 to 3 miles

Two to three miles is spitting distance. Anything up to fifteen miles is walkable if necessary, by any reasonably fit, able-bodied person.