Do companies have a legal responsibility for staff in bad weather

I think you're the one who is unreasonable. What happens if they stay to end of the day and the roads are not clear so no buses, do you expect this person to walk in the dark? what then if they fall or trip? Becuase they where forced to walk home and then goes and breaks there leg who will end up paying? The boss with the minimum 6 weeks sick pay for when they can not return to work with a broken foot. It is in everyones interest to help people get home safely.

Why should this person not walk in the dark, whats going to happen ??? will they be attacked by the aboniable snowman? a rampant snowman who throws snowballs at people walking.

What if this person falls ????? he gets up and carrys on walking :loopy: and he just watches his step in future.

With the amount of people who cannot get work its disgusting and immoral to be staying at home/or skiving when there are so many desperate for work

for example: the company I work for is refusing to let us leave at the moment as they say it will have severe implications on there service levels.

What do you do for a living ?

- and it leaves everyone else a bit ticked off that they bothered...

Don’t blame those milking it, more fool the employer for paying them

We were sent home today at 12 from our city centre office, everyone got to go no matter how close to worked you live. I'll not name who I work for, we don't the bad publicity.

Edited by Charlie Goth

Just to clarify -

* I'm on a temporary contract so I will not be paid for any time I am not at work and certainly will not try to claim for any time if I was allowed to leave early.

* We have been threatened with disciplinary action if we leave without the express permission of a manager.

* I am going to have to get from Sheffield Airport to Aston via either Catcliffe and Treeton or Orgreave and Woodhouse. Both of theses routes take me along unlit and uninhabited roads, which just don't seem to be sensible places to be walking in the dark in these conditions.

* I honestly thing it will take me at least 2 and half hours in this weather to walk back which is why I wanted to keave around 1.00pm.

Edited by OlDog
spelling

There has never been a time where a worker has more power than they do now.

If they think thier bosses are being unreasonable, they can tell their boss to shove their job and walk out. If you think being stuck in the office is unreasonable then do the right thing for yourself and your boss.

You can then set up your business and dictate the hours you wish to work.

If its too cold, you stay in bed, if its too hot you don't go to work, if its raining too hard stay at home and if its too windy, you can stay at home because the wind may cause you to have an accident.

I told my boss to shove his job last year and now I'm self employed and I have got so much pride doing that. Yes its hard, but you make your own luck in life and you take pride that the business dies or thrives by your own actions.

Like I say guys, if you think the boss is being unfair, write out your resignation letter, go into his/her office right now, tell the boss to bend over and then shove the letter up the bosses backside. Then you can go home

I walked into work today, I'm not sure of the distance but its S10 to city centre.

Quite a pleasant walk actually, although I doubt my legs will feel the same once I've walked back up the hill! (in the dark!)

I'm not at work today because I already had a holiday booked, but when it snowed last year, my boss let us all go home just 10 minutes early. He has a 4x4 so the snow won't bother him.

Selfish git would've been drinking strangely 'nutty' coffee for the rest of the year if he'd done that to most people I know ;)

It's looking like our managers will be making everyone do their full shift. Don't mind myself as I'm only a 20 minute walk from home but I do find it funny that not one manager came in today because of the snow.

It is about thought and respect for members of staff. You get what you give is a good thing to remember. Treat staff properly and they will go the extra mile when they can and have respect for their bosses.

my hubby is getting sent home at 3 supose to work till 6! what a nice boss,

It is about thought and respect for members of staff. You get what you give is a good thing to remember. Treat staff properly and they will go the extra mile when they can and have respect for their bosses.

Nail on head.