Do you need a TV licence if you only watch DVDs?

Here's a tricky one.

Lady Rathbon doesn't have (or indeed want) a TV at her flat but has said she'd like to be able to watch DVDs there. I've been looking at buying her one of those dinky little DVD players, but she'd prefer a larger screen so I think she'd be happier with one of those TV/DVD combis that most supermarkets seem to be selling at just over £100.

The problem is of course, should one of the TV detector people come calling, he will see that she owns a television and that there's an aerial socket in the wall (a relic of the previous occupant). How can she prove she only uses it for watching DVDs? Will she end up having to pay £140 for a TV licence she will never use just to appease them?

You will need to make sure the t.v is not tuned to any chanel and there is no ariel pluged into the back of the t.v.

Then if they do call to have a look there should be no problem. You may need a radio licence tho for any radios in the house.

hope it helps

I wasn't aware of there being a radio license. I thought that medium (well, the BBC channels available on radio) were covered under the TV license?

Things will get a little easier when everywhere is digital and you have a TV without built in Freeview and no Freeview box.

In theory yes you would need one because even if you don't use the BBC you could access it with the TV you have. Best bet is get a monitor or something similar that can't receive a tv signal

What about if you only watch TV programmes on things like Iplayer or CatchupTV? How could they tell if you were watching anything? You only need a PC to watch all the Freeview channels.

The licence is to own equipment capable of receiving a television signal. so yes, you do need one.

What about if you only watch TV programmes on things like Iplayer or CatchupTV? How could they tell if you were watching anything? You only need a PC to watch all the Freeview channels.
I'm probably wrong but its my understanding that the license fee covers the broadcasting of programmes. Stuff on iplayer or over the internet isn't being broadcast in the same way as a tv signal which is why you don't have to pay to watch iplayer. Of course there are plans to make iplayer subscription based so you pay.

As for telling what you watch its irrelevant if you're not watching BBC you - in theory - could watch if you chose to if you own a tv.

Scap my last post, I was completely wrong.

If you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes at the same time as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you only use your TV to watch DVDs or play video games, or if you only watch programmes on your PC after they have been shown on TV - you don't need a TV Licence. If this is the case, please let us know.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-if-a-tv-licence-is-not-needed-top12/

I thought the link I posted to the TV Licence website was fairly understandable - if you don't have a licence & think you don't need one, you still need to tell them. They will then send someone out to have a look & then they decide.

I would have thought this would be the best bet rather than us all posting different opinions & potentially getting it wrong & giving bad advice.

Scap my last post, I was completely wrong.

If you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes at the same time as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you only use your TV to watch DVDs or play video games, or if you only watch programmes on your PC after they have been shown on TV - you don't need a TV Licence. If this is the case, please let us know.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/what-if-a-tv-licence-is-not-needed-top12/

I posted that link at the the top of this thread .......... shows how much people seem to pay attention