Cinema Attercliffe

it was certainly the Regal,it was my favourite picture house in the area.I was very lucky living just off the middle of Staniforth road in the 1950s.Just 5 minutes away in one direction were 3 great cinemas,the Balfour,the lyric and the Darnall cinema.I have great memories of them all.However, the Regal always looked the classiest with its green tiled frontage.It was also the only place that showed the Durango kid films at childrens matinees.Happy days.

roy rogers sat afternoons at the regal on staniforth road..... class!! one of us used to pay, than he would open the fire door for the rest of us. happy days.

Where did Carlton Ville road run from and to please? My great grandparents lived at number 9. My old mum was born there. 

On 03/01/2010 at 10:59, Joanl said:

And the Globe, but the Regal sounds the most likely doesn't it?

Yes that's right Then Regal

14 hours ago, davide463 said:

Where did Carlton Ville road run from and to please? My great grandparents lived at number 9. My old mum was born there. 

Carltonville Road was adjacent to the former Carbrook Park. Here is a link to a 1950s map:  https://i.postimg.cc/90Xtktsw/Carltonville.jpg . The area has changed beyond recognition but Carltonville Road was a little to the north-west of what is now the Sheffield Arena.

The "1939 Register" shows Robert and Polly Turner at number 9 Carltonville Road.