Cinema Attercliffe

I'm sure the cinema near the skating rink was the Adelphi. The cinemas from Broughton Lane to Staniforth Road were the Pavilion, the Globe, the Adelphi and the Regal in that order. Was the skating rink called the Palais de Danse in the 50's?

could anyone tell me the name the cinema that used to be at Attercliff near a canal and the radical not far from woodbourn road my grandma was a cleaner there and I got in free to the saturday kids shows in the 50s. We also went to the Radical as kids with family aunts uncles,happy times

The Regal Cinema was near the bottom of Staniforth Road Attercliffe Common end

Pop T, last time I saw the Adelphi, car panels warehouse. So sad.

That wouldn't have been The Adelphi - It still looks the same from the outside, just closed, that's all... Not been used since it was a nightclub about ten years ago... Always think it should be used for gigs like Ardwick Apollo in Manchester...

PopT, I am an historian researching the Adelphi at the moment, if you have any old stories you'd like to share about times you spent there it'd be great if you could get in touch. Just to confirm, it is still standing and not boarded up!

Did they move the Adelphi?

When I used to go it was on Vicarage Road Off Attercliffe Road

Read this for further info.

The Adelphi Picture Theatre, in Vicarage Road, Sheffield was designed by the architect W. C. Fenton and opened for business on the 18th of October 1920.

The exterior was built from red brick with terra-cotta enhancements to the main facade. The auditorium was built on two levels, stalls and one circle, with a seating capacity of 1,350, and a projection room at the back of the stalls.

The Theatre was the subject of some restoration and redecoration in the late 1930s but after bomb damage during the second world war, and a brief closure of one month, the building was furthur renovated in 1946.

The last film presentation at the Adelphi, which had always been an independent Cinema, was a showing of 'The Karate Killers' and 'The Rounders' on the 28th of October 1976.

The Adelphi then became a Bingo Club for many years until it closed in the mid 1990s. It was then converted into a nightclub where live bands also performed on occasions, but closed down in late 2006.

The Adelphi is a Grade II Listed building.

Real Happy Nights in the Adelphi, Great building and interiors.

PopT

My Grandma worked at the Adelphi for 21 years as an usherette.....

Mary (Polly) Hawkins her name was. She died in 1968

Edited by Joanl
Removed link.

I think Pete Stringfellow worked at the Regal as a projectionist.

Yes...it was the Regal i sawa many a film there

The Regal Cinema at the bottom of Staniforth Rd was the only one in Attercliffe that showed films on Sunday night and they also did live shows with the Four Imps on stage one of which was Dougie Brown,the usherettes used to come round and stop you dancing as they were not licensed for it. It was also at the rear of the Cinema where I smoked my first cigarette with a lad called Malcolm Welbourne 5 Woodbines between us, I felt rotten for days after

Edited by macstewart
added on

Did they move the Adelphi?

When I used to go it was on Vicarage Road Off Attercliffe Road

Read this for further info.

The Adelphi Picture Theatre, in Vicarage Road, Sheffield was designed by the architect W. C. Fenton and opened for business on the 18th of October 1920.

The exterior was built from red brick with terra-cotta enhancements to the main facade. The auditorium was built on two levels, stalls and one circle, with a seating capacity of 1,350, and a projection room at the back of the stalls.

The Theatre was the subject of some restoration and redecoration in the late 1930s but after bomb damage during the second world war, and a brief closure of one month, the building was furthur renovated in 1946.

The last film presentation at the Adelphi, which had always been an independent Cinema, was a showing of 'The Karate Killers' and 'The Rounders' on the 28th of October 1976.

The Adelphi then became a Bingo Club for many years until it closed in the mid 1990s. It was then converted into a nightclub where live bands also performed on occasions, but closed down in late 2006.

The Adelphi is a Grade II Listed building.

Real Happy Nights in the Adelphi, Great building and interiors.

PopT

once knew a pop down cliff use to wear leather motor bike jacket with tassells down the arms wore glasses think he had fair hair in the 60s/70s

could anyone tell me the name the cinema that used to be at Attercliff near a canal and the radical not far from woodbourn road my grandma was a cleaner there and I got in free to the saturday kids shows in the 50s. We also went to the Radical as kids with family aunts uncles,happy times

The cinema to which you refer was on the right going down Staniforth road. It was in fact the Regal.....right by the canal. hope this helps.

PopT, I am an historian researching the Adelphi at the moment, if you have any old stories you'd like to share about times you spent there it'd be great if you could get in touch. Just to confirm, it is still standing and not boarded up!

I notice the Adelphi has just had a 'Sold' sign put up on it. Has anyone any info?