TOP GEAR - Most popular programme

Top Gear does not pretend to be anything other than entertainment and rarely fails to deliver. I know quite a few people who refuse to watch it and object to Jeremy Clarkson on some weird principle that I have not quite figured out yet - especially when the same people who abhor Clarkson adore Jonathan Ross. What's THAT all about?

Frankly, I enjoy watching three people "at the cutting edge of cocking about".

J Ross makes tasteless jokes and can appear smarmy.

J Clarkson is the patron saint of boy racers, boasts about speeding on public roads, encourages yobbish behaviour on the roads, says he will crush to death any cyclists in his way "for a laugh" and acts as spokesman for the petrolhead contingency who slaughter 3000 people a year.

Clarkson has blood on is hands, it would have been better if Hammond had died in that crash so the idiotic audience realise the dangers of speeding about like fools.

Did anyone notice last night that James was testing the VXR round Derwent, Ladybower & up Winnits Pass?

Yes, I noticed that :)

J Clarkson is the patron saint of boy racers, boasts about speeding on public roads, encourages yobbish behaviour on the roads, says he will crush to death any cyclists in his way "for a laugh" and acts as spokesman for the petrolhead contingency who slaughter 3000 people a year.

Clarkson has blood on is hands, it would have been better if Hammond had died in that crash so the idiotic audience realise the dangers of speeding about like fools.

Thank you for your enlightening response. I can see why you might not enjoy Top Gear.

Maybe its just the tight Yorkshireman in me(:)), but i hate to see something which is perfectly useable discarded in such a fashion..

I can see what you mean by that. It is a more visible waste of money if a working car is trashed for TV. Although as you said it sounds like it might have been just a shell anyway.

That will be this forums best bad post of 2010. Congratulations.

One afternoon in 2001, my 80-year-old grandmother crossed the road to post a letter - and was smacked by a car "breezing along" at 45mph.

She was thrown into the air, tossed over the car, and left haemorrhaging on the asphalt. Her legs were smashed. Her hip was wrecked. Her brain was damaged.

Because she is incredibly tough, she did not become one of the 1,000 people killed by speeding drivers in Britain every year - but it took her a year to relearn to walk, and she has never been able to live in her own home, in dignity, again.

So when I hear about the return of a TV show presented by a man - Jeremy Clarkson - who says "speeding is no big deal", a trivial act that shouldn't even be punished with points on your licence, I cannot let out the indulgent chuckle that so many people offer at Top Gear's mop-headed incitements to break the law.

Instead, I think of the dozens more people who will suffer like my grandmother because of his babbling in defence of illegal speeding.

Speeding is not an abstract problem or a glib gag.

It is a crime.

It claims victims every day.

And advertising works. If you see a 30-second advert for Coke, you become more likely to buy Coke. If you see a half-hour advert for speeding, paid for with your licence fee and mine, then you are more likely to speed.

And yes, that's what Top Gear is.

Clarkson and his co-presenters use this public platform to brag about their ability to find "high octane red-line thrills" on the roads you and I have to cross. He talks about his "sympathy" for the thugs who vandalise speed cameras that - according to independent studies - save over 300 children a year. (The AA begged him to stop).

He doesn't even offer the factually wrong argument that speed cameras are merely a way to rake in cash for the Government. No - he boasts:

"I don't curse speed cameras because of civil liberty issues. I curse them because they slow me down."

http://www.overgrownpath.com/2007/01/speeding-is-no-big-deal-says-bbcs.html

‘I wish Hammiond had died in that crash and that he had been decapitated and that his head had rolled off in front of his wife and that a jagged piece of metal debris from the car had got stuck in his eye and blinded him.

‘And then his head had rolled on a few more yards into a pool of boiling oil and that his head had retained just enough neural capacity for him to be able to think “ooh, this is bit hot" before the whole thing exploded into tiny pieces.’

Later in the routine, he said: ‘I wish Richard Hammond HAD died and I wish he had been decapitated. Of course, it’s a joke. But coincidentally it’s also what I believe.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1209921/What-prompted-comedians-tirade-old-schoolmate-Richard-Hammond.html#ixzz0bvmewRUT

Is that a sick joke?

Or is this:

Jeremy Clarkson wrote in The Sun that cyclists should stop at red

lights otherwise "if I'm coming the other way, I will run you down,

for fun".

On the other hand stopping would also seem to be a bad policy as he

added that if any cyclists were to stop in front of him at lights he

would "set off at normal speed and you will be crushed under my

wheels" concluding "You are a guest on roads that are paid for by

motorists so if we cut you up, shut up");

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23694509-tributes-to-cyclist-killed-in-hit-and-run.do

A cyclist killed in a hit-and-run crash with a lorry was about to buy a house and start a family, friends said today.

Adrianna Skrzypiec, 31, died in Greenwich, south east London, as she was cycling home from work to one of her best friend's birthday at a local pub.

She was hit by a lorry at the junction of Woolwich Road and the Kent-bound A102 and died at the scene. The driver of the truck did not stop and is yet to be found by police.

There is a picture of that beautiful young woman in the link above.

Now, I'm not suggesting Sun readers read Clarkson's encouragement of murder and then go out and kill a cyclist, but if Clarkson had written the same filth about black people or gays he would have been prosecuted.

jeremy Clarkson has blood on his hands. For the sake of light entertainment he suggests killing people who's only crime is to be cycling to work.

Is that funny?

jeremy Clarkson has blood on his hands. For the sake of light entertainment he suggests killing people who's only crime is to be cycling to work.

Is that funny?

As a cyclist myself I would say yes, in context it is. I don't agree with Clarkson about much but he does make me chuckle.

Incidentally, did you know that Top Gear is a light entertainment show and not a public information film?

Still, best of luck Spindrift, with your entry in the Most Over-The-Top Forum Post Of 2010 competition.

This probably isn't the thread for it but if we are to believe that Top Gear is an advert for speeding there are lots of other programs and films that we should be far more worried about.

Clarksons comments are delivered tongue firmly in cheek.

Anyone who is likely to do 45 in a 30 or run over a cyclist on purpose would do so regardless of prompting (deliberate of otherwise) from a self-confessed buffoon like Clarkson.

Did anyone see the episode where the team took over an art gallery, and said they would up the amount of visitors to it? Missed the result, did they manage to increase the numbers?

They failed to match the Tate Modern's numbers but they did set a record for the most visitors to the Middlesborough gallery.

They failed to match the Tate Modern's numbers but they did set a record for the most visitors to the Middlesborough gallery.

Thanks for that:D