Trip to Australia!! Info wanted

Hi all

Im planning a trip to Aussieland to stay with relatives in about 18 months (Jan 2007). Can anyone give me advice about flights like when to book, info about Sydney etc. Im also wanting to head to New Zealand for a week so info about NZ aswell please!

Better get saving : )

Em

I'm planning on going to Taz next year to see a net buddy.

Scary prospect since Ive never been on a plane before,

and a 24hr flight sure is a long time for something to go wrong.

But what the heck, its something to do.

Sorry that this was no use to you, i just felt like posting.

I think one of my better ideas to pass on would be to break your flight if possible- 24 hours is seemingly endlass! I found Singapore Airlines to be great and would fly with them again. January is very hot and steamy in Oz so bring cool clothes. Have a great trip and good luck.

Try search, N S W Tourism. There is info on Sydney. Enjoy your holiday. :thumbsup:

I flew there with Singapore Airlines last october and found their service top class, the food was excellent and the choice of films was amazing with really friendly staff. They even changed my return flight for 2 weeks later with no charge!, everyone else i was with had to pay about £50 to their airlines to change dates. Oz is an amazing place you will have a wicked tme,reckon I might be back there january time:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone, im sure i'll love it!

Singapore airlines sounds great, i think the cheapest airline i found was emirates a dubai airline.

ooooooo only another 18 months to go!

We went to Oz in Jan 2004 to visit relatives and flew on Qantas - I wouldn't go with them again if I had a choice. We are vegetarians and the food was awful. I've also known other people use them and found the staff rude and unhelpful.

Make sure you have a stop on the way - even just a few hours in Singapore or Bangkok airport gives you the chance to stretch your legs. I found the long flights a drag but you just need to keep getting up and walking about (even though the staff don't really like you doing this).

We booked through Expedia which was fine, except I checked twice with them that our vegetarian meals were booked but when we got on the plane they weren't! So if you have any special requirements I would double check with the airline. You can book about a year ahead and the prices don't really seem to change much as it gets later. I still haven't worked out the best time to book myself!:)

Originally posted by Longshanks

We went to Oz in Jan 2004 to visit relatives and flew on Qantas - I wouldn't go with them again if I had a choice. We are vegetarians and the food was awful. I've also known other people use them and found the staff rude and unhelpful.

Make sure you have a stop on the way - even just a few hours in Singapore or Bangkok airport gives you the chance to stretch your legs. I found the long flights a drag but you just need to keep getting up and walking about (even though the staff don't really like you doing this).

We booked through Expedia which was fine, except I checked twice with them that our vegetarian meals were booked but when we got on the plane they weren't! So if you have any special requirements I would double check with the airline. You can book about a year ahead and the prices don't really seem to change much as it gets later. I still haven't worked out the best time to book myself!:)

How hot was it in Oz?? I would prefer to go in the spring but Jan is the only time i can go!!

I went to Oz on my own last April. I could have gone for the Emirates flight which was the cheapest but I was a bit wary of flying to the Middle East on my own so I flew with British Airways via Bangkok. On the flight home we had a bit of a fuel leak and the plane was redirected to Dubai. BA were pretty useless and I had to find my own flight home. I ended up flying back with Emirates and their service turned out to be a lot better than BA anyway.

I booked all my flights through STA Travel who were really good.

You'll have a great time!!

Originally posted by love_hearts

I went to Oz on my own last April. I could have gone for the Emirates flight which was the cheapest but I was a bit wary of flying to the Middle East on my own so I flew with British Airways via Bangkok. On the flight home we had a bit of a fuel leak and the plane was redirected to Dubai. BA were pretty useless and I had to find my own flight home. I ended up flying back with Emirates and their service turned out to be a lot better than BA anyway.

I booked all my flights through STA Travel who were really good.

You'll have a great time!!

Thanks! I was considering Emirates. Been looking at flights to get an idea of cost and they are always the cheapest

I've been lucky enough to go to Sydney three times in the past few years - the first with Emirates, second with Singapore and third with Korean Air. Both Emirates and Singapore were great, although I think I slightly preferred Emirates... Korean Air was.. um.. interesting..! The first two times we did the booking ourselves through ebookers, but last time was with STA. I don't think there was much difference in us booking the flights ourselves and someone doing it for us. I guess as long as you're happy to organise everything you need (ie. insurance, ETAs etc) then it's as easy to book it yourself than go through an agent.

I actually didn't think the flights were as bad as I'd always imagined they would be - I just made sure I drank lots of water and went for walks to stretch my legs!

Sydney's a fantastic place and I wish I could go back there now! Have fun!

I'd check out Melbourne too if you can - fantastic city and great if you like live music and a bit of culture. I lived there for a year and had an amazin time! Also it should be a bit cooler than the rest of Aus in Jan so might give you a break from the heat. Other thing I would say is do break your flight if you can, I did on my return and it was much better. Have a great time, I'm very jelous!