So I got a Raclette Grill for Christmas!

I'd never heard of this before so searched the internet and it seems to be a Swiss tradition, along with fondue. The traditional recipe has a few varieties but basically includes potatoes, raclette cheese and pickled onions.

This doesn't appeal to me all that much so I'm wondering if people who have used raclette grills before can say what you like to cook on them and recommend any recipes

Also does anyone know where you can buy raclette cheese? I found an old thread that suggested Lidl but I've tried there and Sainsbury's so fair to no avail. Are there any other cheeses that work well?

Try googleing raclette grill recipes. Emmenthal or Gruyere should work as well and there's no reason you can't do omelette type things in the small pans. It also suggests that you can do pizza type things with a slice of toasted bread in the pan.

They're great. You can do anything really. I've had bread, potatoes, thinly sliced tomatoes, cooked meats, all covered with melted Raclette or Emmenthal.

I've bought some Emmenthal as haven't found any Raclette yet so will give it a go thank you!

I don't think "Raclette" is a type of cheese (other than "any cheese you are going to use in your raclette"!)

Use any cheese you like !

Raclette is definitely a type of cheese. I have had a Raclette meal at a friend's house who had swiss relations. The cheese was simply put over potatoes but there were other accompaniments which I can't remember (It was a long long time ago.)

I think I remember seeing Raclette cheese at Waitrose off the deli counter in the last year.

You could give them a ring to check before setting out.

I think I remember seeing Raclette cheese at Waitrose off the deli counter in the last year.

Thanks, someone else has mentioned Waitrose so I'm going to call in after work one day.

I went for tea at the home of the friends who bought me the grill and they showed me how to do it! We had roasted veg, variety of cold meats, beetroot, tomato, pickled onions and bread. It was good fun and I really liked the flavour and texture of the cheese so am looking forward to doing it properly later in the week! It seems quite good for a different way of entertaining.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

We love our raclette ,waitrose used to see the cheese loose but they do still sell it pre packed, we have done everything on ours little omlettes with ham onions mushrooms etc,choclate pancakes were brill prawns and scallops do well we have raclette nights,we lay everything out and people help themselves very good nights as well i have had my raclette for 20 yrs plus now bought a new one last year with the marble top on so even done thin steak on it hope you enjoy yours

My husband and I have loved raclette for years and just bought a raclette grill. Lidl does sometimes sell raclette cheese, but as others here have said, you can experiment. Even blue cheese works. We've also used the top grill part to cook shrimp and it came out really well. I love the melted cheese and grilled veggies and pickles on bread with a glass of red wine. Great for when you have friends over. Enjoy it.