Do you remember the fletchers bread van?

i worked as a van lad on fletchers vans when i was 14 with my mate mario montessi.

i worked for a bloke called john vinyl on the manor park area.

we loved going down to the bakery on a saturday morning and having breakfast in the canteen.

I'm no relative to the bakers,one used to come to our road when I was a lad and there was a girl a few houses up the road who would always seem to dash out and into the van when every one had been served,she would dash out of there house and into the van and the doors on the bread van would shut,for about 10 minutes or so and she would dash back into her house,I was a bit young at the time and had no idea what was going on,it got to were my dad would stand in the window and say there's something going on there you know,this girl was no oil painting, but here dad was a real nice bloke who was a caretaker at the co op shop on the end of the road,the next time when I saw here she was well and truly up the duff,my Dad said to the girls father who is the Dad then?the old boy said its that bleeding bread man,he said I don't mined but the cheeky sod comes to my house on Saturdays eating my salmon sandwiches and he dose that I mean eating my salmon sandwiches the cheeky so and so:o

I liked a boy in the 50/60s that drove a Fletchers van, his name was Terry Cox, i heard he died of cancer a couple of year ago, what a nice person he was, alas he married someone else :cry:

I can used to come everyday on Southey green I loved the elephants feet :hihi:

My great grandad Marshall came over to Sheffield from Horncastle with the original Mr Fletcher, to be his master baker, in the latter half of the 19th century. Mr Fletcher supplied him with a company vehicle, it was a horse and cart. :hihi:

Me,I used to help him when I was a kid deliverying up Ecco,used to be stuffing my face with custards whilst he was deliverying to certain houses,god he was ages in some,wonder what he was doing:huh:

Worked the Bread vans as a youngster...Did six months before i had my own van..The guy who taught me was also in some houses at Sheffield Lane Top for ages...I learned what for later...Free bread and cakes for fish fingers..

Wasnt life wonderful I was eighteen at the time... great grounding for my further education... I was new to the Barter system but I learned quickly.

yeah they was great for elephants feet and other goodies the mobile shops was awsome but can you imagine one now he would get robbed on most estates

I can used to come everyday on Southey green I loved the elephants feet :hihi:

I can remember the flechers van and the wonderfull brandy snaps and they did milk and other things too! Mom you used to send me :D so suprised you can remember ever seeing it :hihi:

Yea zoboz cost me a fortune in brandy snaps:hihi:

think its more rum snaps now your all grown up..:D

hmmmm fletchers i can still smell the inside of the little red van filled with trays of scrummy buns apple charlottes my fav and elephants feet oh those were the days my frineds those were the days.

I'll second that:thumbsup:

In the late 50s I fell for a lad on the Fletcher's van, we got chatting and he arranged a date with me. I took ages getting ready for this special date with this lad called Roger, I went to town and must have waited an hour outside Coles. Roger the bloody dodger! I know first hand about that saying, and I never saw him after that, so he definitely managed to dodge me. :rant:

Are you out there Roger? do you remember?

I used to drive one on the Rotherham round (1966-7), a Bedford Dormobile. They used to make us sell the previous days loaves so we placed them on the engine cowl (inside the cab) to warm them up, but some customers suspected! We used to have an excellent breakfast for next to nothing back in the canteen. The bakery on Claywheels lane was very big and I remember the flocks of sparrows that appeared to fly around the steel roof beams, obviously feeding on the many crumbs on the floor.

Doesn't Surprise me, I arranged for them to deliver a loaf to us a couple of times a week but it was obvious that the loaves were days old so I soon stopped it. My OH and I loved their pink franzipans though,as someone has said they were like Bakewell tarts.