Self employed in Sheffield? Did you have any work to go back to today?

I own and run a building company in Sheffield and I have plenty of work to go back to after the Christmas break. This is not usually the case at this time of year, could it be due to people wanting to get work done before the VAT increase in January? Have any other businesses in Sheffield experienced an unusual increase in trade over this period?

Is this an indication that we are out of recession, or just that people are spending their money wisely before prices go up in January?

Contacts I have in the trade have been busy for the last 6 months and are booked for the month ahead. A bit unusual for the time of year especially for the wet trades.

Or maybe I am the only self employed person daft enough to keep my business going over the Christmas period!?

Contacts I have in the trade have been busy for the last 6 months and are booked for the month ahead. A bit unusual for the time of year especially for the wet trades.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying retired. It's not the norm'.

Just trying to make sense of it.

I wonder if other sectors are seeing the same trend?

Darn it! Just realised that this was not the best time to post this thread!

It's a Bank Holiday! Most people are lagered up! and couldn't reply if they wanted to!

I had to work today, I'm not jealous or owt! :mad:

Darn it! Just realised that this was not the best time to post this thread!

It's a Bank Holiday! Most people are lagered up! and couldn't reply if they wanted to!

I had to work today, I'm not jealous or owt! :mad:

]

I wish i was in pub lol , i was back to work today till thursday for me then back to normal on the 4th first time in years ive worked through christmas but you have to take it whilst there i suppose . One good thing about workin today ?????? Bugger all on the road first thing . !!! :hihi:

Edited by RELIABLE

I wanted to work today but got dragged into town for the sales :-(

Will be flogging my nuts off tomorrow, weds & thursday to get stuff completed.

New bathroom starting mon 4th so have to get current work finished (VERY tall order!!!).

]

I wish i was in pub lol , i was back to work today till thursday for me then back to normal on the 4th first time in years ive worked through christmas but you have to take it whilst there i suppose . One good thing about workin today ?????? Bugger all on the road first thing . !!! :hihi:

Too right mate. :thumbsup:

Why do you think there is so much work at the moment?

I can remember ten-fifteen years back when all the trades took three weeks of at Christmas and there was no recession!!?

I wanted to work today but got dragged into town for the sales :-(

Will be flogging my nuts off tomorrow, weds & thursday to get stuff completed.

New bathroom starting mon 4th so have to get current work finished (VERY tall order!!!).

It's good that you are busy too dan.

It just isn't the norm for this time of year and I can't figure out why there is so much work about.

Is it anything to do with the VAT increase in Jan, or are we out of recession? :huh:

hello,

My area of work ventures far from construction work but i found myself with nothing to do through september-october and november then out of nowhere was swormed with work in december and im already having to pass work on for january.

This is really wierd considering that its the most expensive time of the year and with the economy how it is.

either we are indeed comming out of recession or people are trying to get things done before things get any worse, either way i think its a good thing for local businesses.

Too right mate. :thumbsup:

Why do you think there is so much work at the moment?

I can remember ten-fifteen years back when all the trades took three weeks of at Christmas and there was no recession!!?

I think its because everyone was scared about the recesion and people have been holding back on spending money just incase companys they work for made them redundant ect .But now time has gone on i think alot more people feel safer in there jobs , so they are spending on home improvment ect .

hello,

My area of work ventures far from construction work but i found myself with nothing to do through september-october and november then out of nowhere was swormed with work in december and im already having to pass work on for january.

This is really wierd considering that its the most expensive time of the year and with the economy how it is.

either we are indeed comming out of recession or people are trying to get things done before things get any worse, either way i think its a good thing for local businesses.

Hello B D Designs.

"Either way" it is only a good thing for local businneses if it carries on long term.

Tip: Don't go spending yor retirement fund on the strength of this false boom.