The Fat Cat - No Singing Allowed !!

Flat coke, yuk! Was it that disgusting draught stuff

Since Lewis blew a gasket when I took a flat half a coke back and he started accusing me of 'doing something to it' before he'd even tried it (and refused to fetch the landlord.)

We all walked out and havn't been back since.

Sounds to me like you must have gone into the pub with a bit of an attitude in the first place. I have been in both the Kelham Island and Fat Cat many times and have never had a problem with bad service.

Also, what the OP probably doesn't realise is that both these pubs are aimed at the more intelligent drinker who appreciates good beer in a quiet environment. If a bunch of drunken idiots want to run around a pub yelling and singing at the top of their voices, they should go up West Street instead!

Sounds to me like you must have gone into the pub with a bit of an attitude in the first place.

How did you draw that conclusion exactly?

To me its a very overrated pub. :rolleyes:

Overated, yes I agree, the carpet smells of sick too! Staff are surly too!

How did you draw that conclusion exactly?

I was wondering that, too. Perhaps the "attitude" is having the temerity to complain about a sub-standard drink??

I was wondering that, too. Perhaps the "attitude" is having the temerity to complain about a sub-standard drink??

I agree. I complain more now than Ive ever done and why not.:mad:

A group of about 15 of us were on a Real Ale Tour yesterday (Sun 27th) and part of it took in The Fat Cat.

We went in the upstairs room where there was a group and a coule had guitars, so we proceeded to have a bit of a sing song - nothing too raucous, just White Christmas, Let It Snow, Fairytale of New York etc.

All were having a good time when the guy from behind the bar came up, turned the lights off then back on again and said .....

...... "there have been complaints from the people downstairs, and you have 2 options, either be quiet or <removed> Off".

Fair to say we <removed> off !! Obviously the people in The Fat Cat are that far up there own arses which is why the Kelham Island and Harlequib are far superior. Who the hell do they think they are in there ???

Finally singing Christmas Songs at Christmas ....... how dare we !!! :confused:

So basically you went into a multi-cultural quarter of town and sang a racist song with the words 'I'm dreaming of a white Xmas' - ie, you wish only those of Anglo-Saxon caucasion decent in Britain during the festive period. I'm not surprised you were stopped. You were lucky not to be prosectuted under the Race Relations ACT

I agree. I complain more now than Ive ever done and why not.:mad:

I've always been a bit of a complainer. If I'm paying for something, I expect to get what I've ordered, not some sub-standard crap. If more people complained - in a civilised fashion, of course, not having temper tantrums and being abusive - then we'd all get better service.

In this country, I think we're all far too inclined to mumble into our beards and complain to each other, rather than having a word with the people providing the poor service/product.

Sounds to me like you must have gone into the pub with a bit of an attitude in the first place. I have been in both the Kelham Island and Fat Cat many times and have never had a problem with bad service.

Also, what the OP probably doesn't realise is that both these pubs are aimed at the more intelligent drinker who appreciates good beer in a quiet environment. If a bunch of drunken idiots want to run around a pub yelling and singing at the top of their voices, they should go up West Street instead!

Thanks Gordon but I would consider us as being the more intelligent drinker what with CAMRA members in our group and all who I would consider educated chaps on the whole as opposed to 'drunken idiots' who should be up West Street. I find this generalisation pretty insulting and typical of a lot who post on here.

Singing in pubs ay Christmas time is in our heritage and is a dying tradition that should be brought back. Its time Hail Smiling Morn was booming from all pubs at Christmastime.

However the singing part is one thing but the more disapointing aspect was that of the chap behind the bar and how he chose to pass on his comments. Very poor indeed.

Thanks Gordon but I would consider us as being the more intelligent drinker what with CAMRA members in our group

Don't talk nonsense. Some of the most annoying and ridiculous people (and to be fair some of the nicest) I have ever come across are CAMRA members - this is coming from someone who was a member for several years (and possibly still would be if they could have coped with a simple change of bank account request).

One of the last times I went to the Fat Cat some utter prick decided it would be a good idea to stand in the doorway leading to the gents and expect everyone to ask "excuse me" in order to get past him. Suffice to say I didn't, and just barged my way through, much to his disgust. Let's just say I wasn't very polite once he commented on it. :)

I don't go in there - the staff are at best indifferent, usually rude, the ale is kept to a mediocre standard and the regulars are mainly tossers who think its fabulous to be in the 'Best Pub in Britain 1985' or whatever outdated local newspaper accolade it was once awarded.

So basically you went into a multi-cultural quarter of town and sang a racist song with the words 'I'm dreaming of a white Xmas' - ie, you wish only those of Anglo-Saxon caucasion decent in Britain during the festive period. I'm not surprised you were stopped. You were lucky not to be prosectuted under the Race Relations ACT

You are a card with your festive trolling Sid!!

You are right of course, the real ale circuit is well known for its multi culturalism...