Builder/plumber: move washing machine to cellar

Hi - does anyone know anyone who can do this? It's a bit fiddly because the washing machine drain needs to feed through a thick wall to an existing drain, and doubtless other bits and pieces I haven't thought about.

Thanks, Rob (Nether Edge)

Is washing machine cold fill only? Is cold (and hot if req) accessible ? Is drain below level of appliance? Lots of considerations really but happy to pop over and look at the job and advise you appropriately, cheers, Steve

I assume you know you will have to pump the water away?

I assume you know you will have to pump the water away?

Ah, no, didn't know that. Can the water simply not gravity feed into the drain like it does at the moment?

Is washing machine cold fill only? Is cold (and hot if req) accessible ? Is drain below level of appliance? Lots of considerations really but happy to pop over and look at the job and advise you appropriately, cheers, Steve

Cold fill - yes.

Drain below - possibly. The washing machine would need to be raised about 3 feet I reckon.

Have a look - thanks Steve - I'll contact you off-forum.

I've assumed your cellar is below the level of the drain therefore the water will need to go upwards therefore a pump would be required.

Its not difficult, all you need is a cold water storage tank to catch the waste water and to house the pump, and a length of pipe routing away to the drain.

I've assumed your cellar is below the level of the drain therefore the water will need to go upwards therefore a pump would be required.

Its not difficult, all you need is a cold water storage tank to catch the waste water and to house the pump, and a length of pipe routing away to the drain.

Ah right, I see, yes, agreed. However, if the machine can be sat on a plinth the top of the machine will be level with the street opening to the drain. Big 'if'!

Machine's own pump will still find it difficult unless the drain is below the bottom of the machine . If Steve is coming out to take a look he will let you know if you need a pump or not.

Best method is as Dan says. Plumb machine in - all modern machines are cold fill only, then waste out to a plastic cold water tank fitted with submersible pump. That will then pump out waste water to above drain. Submersible pumps also come with an alarm which will go off if the pump should get blocked or breakdown .. so no flooded cellar.

Machine's own pump will still find it difficult unless the drain is below the bottom of the machine . If Steve is coming out to take a look he will let you know if you need a pump or not.

Best method is as Dan says. Plumb machine in - all modern machines are cold fill only, then waste out to a plastic cold water tank fitted with submersible pump. That will then pump out waste water to above drain. Submersible pumps also come with an alarm which will go off if the pump should get blocked or breakdown .. so no flooded cellar.

Excellent, yes, thanks, take your and Dan's point. I was hoping for less complexity, but better done right etc.

Rob

A chap called Phil Greenwood (07729 625901) did this for me last summer when he fitted my new kitchen - a great job and well worth it.

Fro memory it was £400 for the macerator pump to get rid of the water and a good bit of pipe as well before paying for labour.

No..no.. u don't need a macerator pump in this instance. Off the top of my head i would say cost for alarmed submersible pump, cold water tank, is no more than £200. Obviously there is the labour on top.