-18 predicted for next week??

It wont reach -18c in Sheffield next week.

I don't feel the need to provide evidence of that.

It may well reach that at the peaks in the highlands of Scotland, but only the highest of peaks around there.

Are you talking about Sheffield or somewhere in the UK?

The temperature display in my van reached -10 last week and a friends reached -12. That was in the Hope Valley at 5.30am.

i remember about 15 years back it got to -12 up here. we stayed in centre parcs in nottingham and were swimming in the outdoor pool when it reached that temperature - certainly don't remember it causing all the havoc that a little bit of snow and ice did this year

It has been forecast that it will feel like -18 with the wind chill factor

It will be more like probably -2

As for the snow, we just about had enough snow to make a snowman.

Its hardly a severe winter is it? probably more of a normal winter, nut as always we blame Global Warming.

This is an interesting question, that I can't answer.............

"At -2 or below, in order to melt the ice from my car windscreen, I must use the car's heater and me scraping the windscreen to remove the ice...........................BUT................the arctic, with temps of -50, the ice apears to be melting perfectly well without a heater and someone scraping the ice"

So why does the ice on my windsceen not melt?

It's not that big a deal, it was -20 in the ski resort last week, it just makes it feel a bit crisp and you don't go out without a coat.

What makes me laugh is how yahoo news exagerate a bit of cold weather expected in winter, 'Temperatures are expected to plunge to minus three'.

It has been around those temperatures anyway to how can it plunge to minus 3?

Met Office doesn't reckon it'll be as cold as it was predicted only around -2c:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/sheffield_forecast_weather.html

-32C predicted for this week!

I know it's nothing to do with Sheffield but then the subject line never mentioned Sheffield.

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/02044.html

You could tell the "new" Brits up there, they were the ones with their cars stuck in the snow.

The main reason why you don't get ice on your windscreen in the Arctic is because it is very cold, hence the air is dry. You can't make snow balls either, the snow won't stick together.

i remember about 15 years back it got to -12 up here. we stayed in centre parcs in nottingham and were swimming in the outdoor pool when it reached that temperature - certainly don't remember it causing all the havoc that a little bit of snow and ice did this year

Either get a new gauge or stop thinking they are accurate.

Either get a new gauge or stop thinking they are accurate.

what gauge? sorry if i'm being a bit dull but it was -12 then

Just for reference, the UKs lowest temperature was -27.2C, at Braemar Weather Centre. That's in the valley. High on the Cairngorms, it probably gets considerably colder on occasion.

Lowest on record for Sheffield was -15C.

what gauge? sorry if i'm being a bit dull but it was -12 then

Sorry, I quoted the wrong post.