-18 predicted for next week??

Just another scare story. Every time you put the weather on TV these days you get a severe weather warning which turns out to be nothing of the sort.

They ought to scrap the severe weather warnings and just have a weatherman saying "it's cold and it might snow. That's because its' Winter, what do you expect?????"

Well what did i say, it might not be -18 but it sure feels like it tonight!!!

BBC weather forecast says it will get as low as -20 in the highlands of Scotland by the end of the week due to wind direction so that is comes from Scandinavia and its bloody cold over there.

I doubt sheffield will go as low, but it could get as cold as -10 not counting windchill.

Just another scare story. Every time you put the weather on TV these days you get a severe weather warning which turns out to be nothing of the sort.

They ought to scrap the severe weather warnings and just have a weatherman saying "it's cold and it might snow. That's because its' Winter, what do you expect?????"

Winter weather is hard to predict beyond a few days. I never take anything the BBC report beyond 48 hours as set in stone.

I've been in Scotland (Aviemore) when it was around -18 (according to a "log it" device one of the guys I was climbing with was wearing on his pack). Bracing, to say the least. The fun bit was sticking your head over a cornice to be greeted with 60 mph winds slapping ice and snow into your face. Almost as fun as trying to answer a call of nature up there... Incredibly cold, but the humidity was low so it was tolerable - I've felt far colder walking around Sheffield - higher humidity and not wearing proper wind protection.

That's what we used to have, and the Met Office were crucified for not giving out doom-mongering scare stories. Now they cover their behinds, and quite right too.

An average January daytime of 6C or 7C. That is what the BBC idiot weather people have been saying anyway, so that must be right. :hihi: