Shamblers Walk - 3rd January 2010- Froggatt Edge CANCELLED DUE TO SNOW

I think that all the people who come on Shamblers walks week in week out know why the walk had to be cancelled, and interestingly not one regular has posted with any critiscism of the decision, as they know how difficult it is for the people who put a lot of their time running the Shamblers to make these decisions.

I hope everyone understands how difficult & dissapointing it was for VO & HC3 to make the decision to cancel today's walk.

I'm sure we all understand - we were just voicing disappointment at not being able to play in the snow with everyone else. ;) We are also aware of the differing levels of ability and experience in the group and appreciate that walks have to be planned for the majority of group members rather than a small subset.

The first bus of the day didn't turn up so I must apologise to anyone who was expecting to see me at the start at 10:40.

Although the roads where certainly passable with care, they were pretty slushy, what looked like a Range Rover had crashed into the wall at the corner at Fox House - looks like someone was being a bit too enthusiastic.

As for the walk, the fresh snow had made the level bits OK - you could tell it was snow over ice but there was plenty of grip. The sloping bits however were something else - the initial climb particularly so. People who aren't confident with that sort of route in slippery conditions would have found it very difficult.

I'm sure we all understand - we were just voicing disappointment at not being able to play in the snow with everyone else. ;) We are also aware of the differing levels of ability and experience in the group and appreciate that walks have to be planned for the majority of group members rather than a small subset.

As for the walk, the fresh snow had made the level bits OK - you could tell it was snow over ice but there was plenty of grip. The sloping bits however were something else - the initial climb particularly so. People who aren't confident with that sort of route in slippery conditions would have found it very difficult.

Thanks for the reply Altus, and for a) putting in a nutshell why when you're organising a walk you have to think of others as well as yourself, and b) a first-hand description of the conditions the Group would have faced had the walk took place, and by doing so confirming that the decision made to cancel the walk was the correct one.

myself and anned took ourselves off onto wharncliff craggs and grenoside woods OMG it was beautiful, there was snow everywhere but it was very warm, and not slippy until we got to main road paths and more used paths back to anne d. wharncliff craggs was perfect walking really.

I was looking forward to this walk but when the snow started falling fairly thickly last night, where I was, I decided to let VO know I wasnt going to risk it. I fully support his and HC3s decision to cancel the walk. (Which they already know!) We can do it another time when its not so slippy! :D Roll on spring!

Billysmum and myself were in Oxfordshire this morning and completed a 6 mile walk in beautiful sunshine, with no snow to be seen anywhere. It was hard going though because the ground was as hard as iron. Unbelievably, both on this walk and 2 others completed this weekend, we didn't see another solitary walker which made a big change from walking in the Peaks!

the chosen area is not ideal for walking if weather not good i do agree that if leaders do not feel that the walk is safe to do then it should be completed. Hope you have all had a good day what ever you all did. xxx

The interest I have with the walking group is a new one, so listen up I have questions?

I have comfortable trainers & steel cap pit boots.

Q1. Anyone on here want to sell me a second hand pair of (non smelling) walking footwear size 8, suitable for walking in current snowy conditions ?

Q2. Éclair & Anne D found an ideal walking location on the same day that the original walk was cancelled. What is the reason it is not the general policy to identify a more suitable walk if the planned walk is found to be unsuitable due to the weather conditions?

Q3. How often does the planned walk commence on the train route, (or near a rail station to be more precise) I refrain from saying bus route because like ALTUS explained, the first bus of the day did not turn up?

Q4. In respect of buses, I noted that the travel instructions (on the first post) explained that the 215 bus could be caught from the Hillsborough interchange. Does this mean that you cannot catch a bus (to the planned destination & Derbyshire in general) from Pond street interchange?

Q5. Finally, are there any other crazy (I mean brave) members on here like ALTUS, ANNE D, ÉCLAIR and AGENT ORANGE who are willing to do their own thing when the official walk is cancelled? If so, I am interested in joining you.

Village Owl, thanks for explaining about the walking events etc. I am particularly interested in the winter walks.

(Billiesmum-I will get back to the PM shortly, thanks)

I hope everyone understands how difficult & dissapointing it was for VO & HC3 to make the decision to cancel today's walk. A walk that is 'challenging' in the best of conditions & has steep rocky climbs that involve scrambling in places is best not attempted by a group of people in snow & ice conditions. Even if roads are gritted, footpaths are not. We all found out how weather conditions can make even an easy walk incredibly difficult last week, so 'challenging' walks in these conditions are a definite no-no. Sensibility & Safety have to prevail.

We have said that alternative short Sheffiled walks would be put on in place of cancelled walks, but as even local places like Porter Clough etc were also very slippy, it was decided to cancel an organised walk altogether.

I hope the lady that AO helped to rescue at Rivelin is now ok - well done AO for helping her to be rescued.

Thanks, but it's not necessary. Anyone would have done the same to ensure the safety of a fellow human being.

Further to today's incident, it has made me realise how important it is to carry the adequate equipment whilst out and about. I know the woman that attended to was not a million miles away, but the fact remains she would have suffered from hyperthermia had the essential equipment not been available.

So with this in mind, please consider what you carry when you go on future walks.

Further to today's incident, it has made me realise how important it is to carry the adequate equipment whilst out and about. I know the woman that attended to was not a million miles away, but the fact remains she would have suffered from hyperthermia had the essential equipment not been available.

So with this in mind, please consider what you carry when you go on future walks.

Thanks for that AO. This is exactly why we always err on the side of caution re walks in bad weather & why we recommend people carry & wear equipment suitable for the route & weather conditions. When out walking people should wear enough suitable clothing to be able to stay warm & dry even if stationary for some time. We also carry space blankets in our group first aid kits.

The interest I have with the walking group is a new one, so listen up I have questions?

Q1. Sorry, i personally don't have any spare boots

Q2. As I stated in my post prior to yours, it is usual policy to organise an alternative local walk during bad weather. But, as there was only 1 walk co-ordinator available locally yesterday, she could not organise this safely on her own, especially with local parks still being slippy. We organise these walks in our own time & have to consider the safety of large groups of walkers, making ouselves in effect responsible for their safety. If the co-ordinator/s do not feel that the weather conditions are safe for them to lead a walk, then they cancel - simple.

Q3. We try very hard to make the majority of walks on public transport routes. We also share cars very effectively as well.

Q4. Don't know the answer to this - I'm sure someone else will though.

Q5. I'm sure there are others who would love to walk with you when official walks are cancelled - but we do usually have an alternative - yesterday was a blip due to lack of co-ordinators.

Hope that answers some of your questions, please get back if there is anything else to wish to know :)

Edited by Hemlock

Yes it does answer some of my questions. Thanks for that Hemlock. I will await the knock for the walking boots :thumbsup: