Sheffield is better known than I thought!

The phrase is relative to the amount of steel we produced in the past.
Please check your sources as I agree the phrase is relative and indeed for a time in the nineties we did produce more steel than in the sixties and seventies, but after relatively recent closures Sheffield no longer produces more steel than the era that gave Sheffield it's reputation. Hence I agree with Cyclone in questioning whether Sheffield really does produce more than moderate amounts of steel.

[/b]

Isn't that the entire population of Wath?

No. Just the ones who live there that are not on drugs.

Why do you think I sodded off out of it?

When travelling abroad I've also found that people know of Sheffield via its football teams, and in some countries they know of the snooker championship. As for steel, I don't think the amount of steel produced in Sheffield is as important locally as its effect on local society - which I suppose means largely the number of people employed in steel. Although the steelworks in the Sheffield area still produce a sizeable output, they do this with a small fraction of the workforce that was employed in steel, say 40-50 years ago.

But my experience abroad is that people have heard of Sheffield more from its cutlery and silverware than as a steel producer as such. I remember once in Alxeandria, Virginia, USA I was talking to the owner of a "huntin', shootin' and fishin' store" and he was full of praise for Sheffield's hunting/skinning knives etc.

We had some Blokes over from southern Ireland (work related) and ended up on the slash with em, I asked the question if they'd ever heard of Sheffield before and they all said yes,Wednesday, United and snooker, but one 50ish year old said he got taught about Sheffield at school, being built on seven hills and the steel industry, he'd been taught more about Sheffield at school in Ireland than I had living here, how bad is that

Please check your sources as I agree the phrase is relative and indeed for a time in the nineties we did produce more steel than in the sixties and seventies, but after relatively recent closures Sheffield no longer produces more steel than the era that gave Sheffield it's reputation. Hence I agree with Cyclone in questioning whether Sheffield really does produce more than moderate amounts of steel.

Yeap, checked my sources, so feel free to agree with me again! :huh:

Sheffield is still attempting to recover from the stupidities of the three B's, Blunkett, Betts and Bower. It is better known to others for the mistakes of these three than for all the things that made the city great, albeit a long time ago.

Sheffield is no different to some other large, once heavy industrial cities. It has a drugs problem, knifings, shootings, sink council estates ruled by gangs of chavs etc. The city centre is devoid of decent shops, albeit that Sevenstone (if it ever happens) would help to improve matters.

Currently Sheffield is very well known for the act of a single drunken student, urinating on a war memorial. :confused:

As regards the quantity of steel, please remember that this was the stuff that built British Leyland cars like the Marina, the Allegro, the 1100 and other designer rust-boxes!! Sheffield now produces less, no doubt, but it makes the finest QUALITY there is. Which is better?

Yeap, checked my sources, so feel free to agree with me again! :huh:

Did you seriously not understand the post you've quoted?

As regards the quantity of steel, ... Sheffield now produces less, no doubt, but it makes the finest QUALITY there is. Which is better?

I'm sure this is correct. At least, in the early 1960s I remember being told at school that Sheffield produced 5% of the country's steel, but that this 5% accounted for 50% of the value of UK steel. This says a lot for the quality of the special steels that Sheffield has always produced. My late father worked for Firth Brown, and I remember in 1966 him taking me to visit their vacuum remelting department, where impurities were removed from steel that was already of high quality, by re-melting it in a vacuum. High-tech. stuff!

Did you seriously not understand the post you've quoted?

Did you seriously mean to contradict yourself? No offence meant, I simply replied to your post as it was read. ;)

Originally Posted by tab1

That phrase of producing more steel than ever before is old hat now and changed to producing only moderate amount of steel since the Stocksbridge steel works shut shop.

The phrase is relative to the amount of steel we produced in the past.

Can you point out the contradiction please, or do I have to ask in Punjabi?:hihi: If you are stuck with nineties information, then that isn't my fault, time has moved on and we no longer produce as much steel as in the past.

Agreeing that the phrase is relative and also pointing out that what you suggest is wrong is not contradicting myself but countering your assertion that Sheffield today produces more steel than it ever has done.:roll:

Edited by tab1

Can you point out the contradiction please, or do I have to ask in Punjabi?:hihi: If you are stuck with nineties information, then that isn't my fault, time has moved on and we no longer produce as much steel as in the past.

Agreeing that the phrase is relative and also pointing out that what you suggest is wrong is not contradicting myself but countering your assertion that Sheffield today produces more steel than it ever has done.:roll:

Cracking answer tab, you even managed to chuck a few Smilies in there.

I am more interested in the positive views of Sheffield.

Pulling Sheffield down is for the cop out brigade.