Sheffield is better known than I thought!

How dare you say that? On this forum you are supposed to moan and slag off everthing there is about Sheffield.:hihi:

It's a great place. I have friends that live abroad and when we meet up they always tell me how much they miss the place, it's people and their sense of humour.

Your freinds are are right verona. Sheffield is a fine City, only missed when you are away from it.

Would you say then that anyone associating knives and forks, or steel with Sheffield actually knows much about Sheffield today?:confused: Or even associating this city with The Full Monty, which incidentally portrayed Sheffield in worst light possible, so nothing to be proud of there.

The attitude of Southerners is one of indifference and has little regard for how you or I feel about our home City. Hearing of a place as a place name and knowing it are two different things and not many down there know it. Some of them are even today astonished that anything like Meadow Hall exists here.

I still love Sheffield and feel it's better now than has been since the steel factory closures of the seventies, but that doesn't make any difference to the perception of the Joe Southerner.

I think you may have met some really thick southerners... I live with a Londoner and he wasn't that dim about other cities when I first met him (and no, I didn't meet him in the north...)

I think you may have met some really thick southerners... I live with a Londoner and he wasn't that dim about other cities when I first met him (and no, I didn't meet him in the north...)

'Ere, leave it out, Guv, that's bang out of order! Despite the appalling Welsh name, I was born in Sarf Lahndun, and if we were all that thick/indifferent, we wouldn't be up 'ere, nicking your jobs and your wimmin! (And, I might add, drinking your Bitter, which is a million times better!!)

I must admit that when I first moved down South, I felt that the locals were looking down on me because of my Northern accent. To tell you the truth, I had trouble understanding them!

We soon sorted that out, and after all these years, many of those folk remain my closest friends.

I think that Sheffield is known for more than a couple of duff football teams.

Nope. Anyone not interested in football has never heard of the place.

I two and a half years I have met two people that have actually an knowledge at all about the city.

The fact of the matter is that many sheffield people now believe that the old "steel city" isnt really famous for anything anymore........

i believe that anybody who is from sheffield should be proud of where they are from and look around.....the famous dirty painting in the golden frame, i for one love this place and love the fact that as much as people say that sheffields industry is dead it is in fact alive and well.

sheffield now produces more steel than it ever has done in its history.

It is and will always be worldwide known.

amen.

I was in Florida many years ago and got talking to several people there who had heard of Sheffield. It was quite soon after the Hillsbro' disaster, so I just presumed that people had heard of it that way. However, it was clear that they didn't know a great deal about UK geography... One American family asked if I minded having to work in London and how long it took me to get to work every day, and a German bloke said he had a friend who lived near Sheffield, in a town called Cardiff!

Nope. Anyone not interested in football has never heard of the place.

I two and a half years I have met two people that have actually an knowledge at all about the city.

Isn't that the entire population of Wath?

The fact of the matter is that many sheffield people now believe that the old "steel city" isnt really famous for anything anymore........

i believe that anybody who is from sheffield should be proud of where they are from and look around.....the famous dirty painting in the golden frame, i for one love this place and love the fact that as much as people say that sheffields industry is dead it is in fact alive and well.

sheffield now produces more steel than it ever has done in its history.

It is and will always be worldwide known.

amen.

Does it really produce a lot of steel at the moment? I thought that the majority of the mills had closed.

Does it really produce a lot of steel at the moment? I thought that the majority of the mills had closed.
That phrase of producing more steel than ever before is old hat now and changed to producing only moderate amount of steel since the Stocksbridge steel works shut shop.

That phrase of producing more steel than ever before is old hat now and changed to producing only moderate amount of steel since the Stocksbridge steel works shut shop.

The phrase is relative to the amount of steel we produced in the past.

Edited by viney40

I find it a little sad that many Sheffield people see our city as a set of fixed stereotypes ie: Steel works, Full Monty, Football teams, and so on.

The truth is that a lot of outsiders don't see it like that.

What about the amount of students that come here and choose to stay, The amount of Asians that have made it their home, The parks, the countryside that surrounds us, The warm welcoming people etc.?